Back to A Crash Course in Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for A Crash Course in Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

By now you have definitely heard about data science and big data. In this one-week class, we will provide a crash course in what these terms mean and how they play a role in successful organizations. This class is for anyone who wants to learn what all the data science action is about, including those who will eventually need to manage data scientists. The goal is to get you up to speed as quickly as possible on data science without all the fluff. We've designed this course to be as convenient as possible without sacrificing any of the essentials. This is a focused course designed to rapidly get you up to speed on the field of data science. Our goal was to make this as convenient as possible for you without sacrificing any essential content. We've left the technical information aside so that you can focus on managing your team and moving it forward. After completing this course you will know. 1. How to describe the role data science plays in various contexts 2. How statistics, machine learning, and software engineering play a role in data science 3. How to describe the structure of a data science project 4. Know the key terms and tools used by data scientists 5. How to identify a successful and an unsuccessful data science project 3. The role of a data science manager Course cover image by r2hox. Creative Commons BY-SA: https://flic.kr/p/gdMuhT...
Highlights
Basic course
(76 Reviews)
Well taught
(48 Reviews)

MD
Aug 27, 2016

Is really hard to summarize the potential of Data Science and being clear, but I think that the instructors have done their best, so that we can achieve the most from the Course.\n\nGreat Job!

SJ
Sep 9, 2017

This is a great starter course for data science. My learning assessment is usually how well I can teach it to someone else. I know I have a better understanding now, than I did when I started.

126 - 150 of 1,334 Reviews for A Crash Course in Data Science

By Palash J

Mar 21, 2018

An engaging course with precise learning methods built on excellently chosen case studies and examples. A must do for every aspiring data scientist out there!

By gilad r

Apr 10, 2020

the course gives a really good overview for people who only heard ML and big data as buzz words and want to understand more about what Data science is about.

By Yenwei Z

Jun 17, 2017

An compact introduction that is useful for beginners and easy to consume! If you want to grasp a general holistic view of this field, this is what you need.

By Tatiana C

Mar 2, 2017

This course was exactly what I was looking for - I got a high level understanding of the field and that knowledge has helped anchor me for further research.

By Nidhin R

Apr 25, 2020

A fast moving course with crisp showing of what data science and ML is all about. Highly recommended for people inclined to managing in data science teams

By sudhakar c

Sep 10, 2016

Great for beginners in Data Science. Lecturer are good and instructors are very knowledgeable and provided valuable inputs through short duration lectures.

By Mary H B

Oct 1, 2020

I only took this course for fun but it was surprisingly interesting. Although a lot of terms are very new to me, the course was easy to follow. Thank you!

By Kimberly K

Dec 16, 2018

Clear with easy to understand concepts. The course made great use of examples and video lectures to bring participants up to speed on Data Science basics.

By Pratik G

Jun 1, 2017

Good introductory/overview course into the world of Data Science involving projects and endeavours. Gives a good understanding of its power and pitfalls.

By Elisa M

Jan 22, 2020

Quick overview, great for better undestanding your data science team and explaining your collegues how can we use data science to make better decisions.

By Daniel D

Aug 12, 2018

Excellent introduction to the subject, now that I have a better understanding I can ask better questions and figure problems to solve using Data Science

By Brian R M

May 7, 2016

Excellent introduction. Especially liked the short lecture on supervised v. unsupervised machine learning. That answered a question I had at the outset.

By Alexandra Z

Jul 20, 2020

Gives insights and overview in a concise way, I feel ready to structure up a data Analysis Project (without doing the actual data Analysis myself) now.

By Christos G

Aug 24, 2017

It delivers exactly what it describes, a quick tour through the basic concepts around Data Science. I liked the Hype Vs. Reality section in particular.

By Felipe G C

Apr 5, 2020

A very good introductory course on Data Science. Technical background is not necessary. More practical exercises should be added to improve even more.

By Kim K R

Nov 11, 2018

AWESOME! I plan to recommend this course to others. It was the perfect opportunity to learn more for work. Thank you so much for offering this course!

By Rohan S

Mar 4, 2018

gives insight into the core concepts of data science but as is a crash course it does not get into the statistical or technical aspect of data science

By Paul G

Feb 28, 2016

Great overview! Passing and internalizing are different goals - take the time to read & watch not only the mandatory items but the links to Wired etc.

By Auburn S

Apr 12, 2018

Great introduction to data science workflows, really helps me understand where within the data science project lifecycle a product can provide value.

By Haozhi N

Aug 13, 2017

Good examples and notes. I have learned a lot from this course.

But it is a pitty that I can not get the grade of the test because I don't pay for it.

By Srinivasan K

Jun 14, 2017

It has given me a business perspective of what data science is and the hype around it and the right questions we need to ask when starting a project

By Anabela O

Aug 11, 2020

Amazing! Even though I am new to this field I was able to understand everything, very useful. It helps understand a bit more about Machine Learning.

By Alejandro S

Oct 12, 2018

Quick and good introduction to data science. Lectures are quick and reading is also, and the value you get out of it is worth it for a week of work.

By Sunil K P

Jun 22, 2016

A wonderful course for getting exposed with the fundamentals of Data Science. A must for those who wish to understand what exactly the Data Science.

By Cecilia M R C

Nov 4, 2020

El curso me pareció muy bueno, es la primera vez que hago un curso sobre Data Science y aún así pude comprender los conceptos y captar la esencia.