Back to A Crash Course in Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for A Crash Course in Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

By now you have definitely heard about data science and big data. In this one-week class, we will provide a crash course in what these terms mean and how they play a role in successful organizations. This class is for anyone who wants to learn what all the data science action is about, including those who will eventually need to manage data scientists. The goal is to get you up to speed as quickly as possible on data science without all the fluff. We've designed this course to be as convenient as possible without sacrificing any of the essentials. This is a focused course designed to rapidly get you up to speed on the field of data science. Our goal was to make this as convenient as possible for you without sacrificing any essential content. We've left the technical information aside so that you can focus on managing your team and moving it forward. After completing this course you will know. 1. How to describe the role data science plays in various contexts 2. How statistics, machine learning, and software engineering play a role in data science 3. How to describe the structure of a data science project 4. Know the key terms and tools used by data scientists 5. How to identify a successful and an unsuccessful data science project 3. The role of a data science manager Course cover image by r2hox. Creative Commons BY-SA: https://flic.kr/p/gdMuhT...
Highlights
Basic course
(76 Reviews)
Well taught
(48 Reviews)

SJ
Sep 9, 2017

This is a great starter course for data science. My learning assessment is usually how well I can teach it to someone else. I know I have a better understanding now, than I did when I started.

MD
Aug 27, 2016

Is really hard to summarize the potential of Data Science and being clear, but I think that the instructors have done their best, so that we can achieve the most from the Course.\n\nGreat Job!

826 - 850 of 1,373 Reviews for A Crash Course in Data Science

By JENEETA

Oct 3, 2019

good

By Bommannagari M

Mar 30, 2019

good

By kailas s

Jan 15, 2019

good

By AZLIN B R

Oct 1, 2017

Good

By Khoo W Q W

Jul 16, 2017

Good

By Fhareza A

Sep 14, 2020

Oct 20, 2015

v

By Heliana P

Nov 3, 2020

For someone who has no clue on Data Science it's a great overview and it gives you a sense of the field in general. I have not acquired a deep knowledge on the field, not even on the basics, just a vague summary of what it has to do with. So I suppose the title is fulfilled, as a crash course. However there are some points where I was pretty disappointed. First of all, some of the lecturers always seemed to read a script, which did not help pass down the knowledge at all. They did not give me the sense of what they were talking about and they seemed lost at some points. I had to watch with subtitles (in english) to understand the meaning of their saying. There was a lot of terminology as well... When you give a crash course, it generally means that you address an audience that has little background on the matter. A brief introduction to the terms would be really helpful. In general I think it has good potential for a short course, should the feedback be taken in serious consideration. However thank you for the opportunity.

By Ameerianto B A

Nov 6, 2020

This course has helped me to figure out what it takes to become a Data Scientist, the tools that you might need, the core values of the project and the fundamentals of Data Science. To be honest, it's not easy to dive in into Data Science without proper knowledge or guidance but with this course, you will at least know what is needed to understand more about data science, the required tools to excel the task, the structure of a good data science project, the programming language you need to know and many more. I would recommend this course for beginner who has absolute zero knowledge about data science but wanted to explore and curious on what's data science is all about.

By Shihab S

Apr 19, 2020

A high level introduction.

Potentially tying it with some business concepts may be would have made it a bit more useful. While there are some great examples for funded research projects in the medical field, it doesn't quite go into use of data science in gaining business results; One example would be defining success module, where I found myself making a decision tree myself to reflect what those three criteria would translate to in business outcome terms.

Good course still overall. It is free after all so I can understand how may be more in depth conversations could be reserved for later parts of the programs.

By Ravi K S

Apr 2, 2018

The course content was fine, but I faced some issues with the Quiz content. I don't know if it was browser issue or the website itself, but on my various attempts, the same correct answers were reported as incorrect, occasionally. I had a hard time completing the Data Scientist's Toolbox quiz - despite providing correct answer in the first attempt, it was reported as wrong, and so, I never chose it again. This way, it is frustrating as well as confusing, breaking my confidence, and making it hard for my brain to memorize and recall the correct concepts.