Back to Data Science Ethics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Ethics by University of Michigan

What are the ethical considerations regarding the privacy and control of consumer information and big data, especially in the aftermath of recent large-scale data breaches? This course provides a framework to analyze these concerns as you examine the ethical and privacy implications of collecting and managing big data. Explore the broader impact of the data science field on modern society and the principles of fairness, accountability and transparency as you gain a deeper understanding of the importance of a shared set of ethical values. You will examine the need for voluntary disclosure when leveraging metadata to inform basic algorithms and/or complex artificial intelligence systems while also learning best practices for responsible data management, understanding the significance of the Fair Information Practices Principles Act and the laws concerning the "right to be forgotten." This course will help you answer questions such as who owns data, how do we value privacy, how to receive informed consent and what it means to be fair. Data scientists and anyone beginning to use or expand their use of data will benefit from this course. No particular previous knowledge needed....

LA

Jun 27, 2019

I really enjoyed the material and the way it was presented. Even though I am not new to the topic, still more avenues and perspectives were supported with very good examples. Very refreshing.

AY

Mar 18, 2019

Absolutely delightful to have Professor Jagadish walking us through the course. The course was informative and very stimulating. Opens up to a new world of data science ethics. Thank you!

26 - 50 of 137 Reviews for Data Science Ethics

By Sabrina I

Crucial to our understanding of the future of Data Science and our role in shaping a better tomorrow through ethics.

By Eise d V

Nov 08, 2018

Short, but great course for beginners that gives interesting perspectives on some ethical matters in data science.

By Philip A

Aug 20, 2018

It is quite amazing I took this course. I was able to apply it to other scenarios in my personal online life.

By Ileana R

Apr 13, 2020

A really good and practical course to understand the basics of ethics for all of us that manage data.

By Domingo M

May 05, 2020

An excellent view to think about what we should do and not do with data and analysis that we can do.

By Nicole R

May 13, 2018

A rigorous, mind-opening course on the ethical questions raised by the collection and use of data.

By Senthanal S M

Dec 31, 2017

Very informative and enough case studies to show examples. Highly recommended for data scientists.

By Indrajeet K

Jun 24, 2020

I am very interested to the study of data science ethics and very good experience in this study.

By P. A N S D P

Nice and good course which helps us to understand what is going in the society in present days.

By Daniel E

May 03, 2020

It’s a Great course that help me into jump in the all ethics aspect that sorround data science

By Stefano V

Feb 03, 2020

A very interesting course, excellent teacher and full of new point of view on data science

By Melissa P W

Sep 03, 2020

Nice introduction to the topic with excellent case studies. Well-designed and paced.

By Dunsin F

Mar 01, 2019

Taking course showed me the usually neglected ethics of Data. Simple yet very vital.

By Emma B

An excellent grounding in the ethical considerations in the field of data science.

By Lyn M R

Feb 23, 2019

Terrific course reviewing the ethical considerations surrounding use of big data.

By Avinash

Aug 09, 2020

Enlightening course for those who want to do some projects in Data science

By Kunal g

Excellent course with wide variety of topics touched and very well explained

By Michael T

Oct 01, 2019

Great course with lots of pertinent content and examples to use right away.

By Steve H

Jul 27, 2019

Very informative content that was effectively communicated by H.V. Jagadish

By Niu H

I had learned about ethics that I will need in data science field.

By Sara d l S A

Jun 14, 2020

Este curso es muy interesante y útil, me ha encantado el formato.

By Vishal G

Aug 03, 2020

One of the most engaging course on Coursera !! Well done !!

By Greg S

Sep 01, 2018

Very relevant and interesting course. I recommend it.

By Pierre H

Jul 27, 2020

Very good class with hard concepts well explained

By GOVIND K C 1 V C

Jul 13, 2020

teaching style and explanation was excellent..