Back to Data Science Ethics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Ethics by University of Michigan

What are the ethical considerations regarding the privacy and control of consumer information and big data, especially in the aftermath of recent large-scale data breaches? This course provides a framework to analyze these concerns as you examine the ethical and privacy implications of collecting and managing big data. Explore the broader impact of the data science field on modern society and the principles of fairness, accountability and transparency as you gain a deeper understanding of the importance of a shared set of ethical values. You will examine the need for voluntary disclosure when leveraging metadata to inform basic algorithms and/or complex artificial intelligence systems while also learning best practices for responsible data management, understanding the significance of the Fair Information Practices Principles Act and the laws concerning the "right to be forgotten." This course will help you answer questions such as who owns data, how do we value privacy, how to receive informed consent and what it means to be fair. Data scientists and anyone beginning to use or expand their use of data will benefit from this course. No particular previous knowledge needed....

LA

Jun 27, 2019

I really enjoyed the material and the way it was presented. Even though I am not new to the topic, still more avenues and perspectives were supported with very good examples. Very refreshing.

AY

Mar 18, 2019

Absolutely delightful to have Professor Jagadish walking us through the course. The course was informative and very stimulating. Opens up to a new world of data science ethics. Thank you!

26 - 47 of 47 Reviews for Data Science Ethics

By Greg S

Sep 01, 2018

Very relevant and interesting course. I recommend it.

By Menashe M

Jun 12, 2018

Really liked the way the info was presented.

By Vibha14

Oct 23, 2018

liked the case study at end of each topic

By Sergei K

Dec 03, 2019

A must-take for anyone working with data

By Amitkumar H B

Jul 05, 2018

Very much interactive and content ful

By PRANAV P K

Apr 22, 2018

Best course for Data Science Ethics

By Olaf M

Oct 01, 2019

Good, useful grounding in ethics.

By GOR B

Dec 22, 2019

Great content, important topics

By Ramkumar I

Apr 15, 2019

Crisp with lot of examples

By Nejde M

Jan 07, 2020

Excellent course.

By adriana s l e

Feb 21, 2019

Excellent Course!

By Isabel H

Mar 20, 2018

This is a good intro to the topic for data scientists with no prior background in ethics. As someone who has studied the philosophy of ethics (even if you've only taken one course in it) you'll likely be disappointed in the limited level of depth in terms of considering ethical theories. To be fair, the instructor does state this at the beginning of the course. My other issue I had with this course is that the assessment quizzes use true or false questions - which in my opinion represents a VAST simplification of the complexities of ethical questions. This kind of simplified black and white thinking is exactly what we do NOT want in the people creating and controlling our technology, so I was disappointed to see the assessment style encouraging it.

By Hillary S

Sep 24, 2018

I really enjoy ethics courses and I liked that this related to something so ingrained in our daily lives: data. I think, in general, ethics lessons are undervalued so I am glad to see this one offered.

The professor was knowledgeable and did a good job. I would watch other courses with him teaching.

My only criticism would be that these ethics were mostly presented from one point of view. Ethics rules can be very subjective depending on who is applying them, so I think hearing from other professors as well as the one who taught it would be good.

By Reinhold L

Nov 04, 2018

A good overview of privacy, ethics, informational consent etc.

The numerous case studies were very informative, relevant and helpful for the daily work in Data Science.

By Okindo I

Aug 23, 2018

This is a good course, it is applicable to a wide range of fields.

I found it very helpful in my career.

Ethics is key in ever aspect of our life.

Thanks.

By Djoelja

Mar 30, 2019

Great materials. Very original. But I think the lecturer needs to smile and put more energy in his talk. Hope you're having a good day!

By Dmytro I

Mar 20, 2019

Good introductory course into the topic. Great lecturer. Think needs more deep dive into each topic with more diverse examples.

By Debra L T

Jan 29, 2019

Presenter did not vary tone, was not engaging and made it very difficult to follow.

By Bea S

Jan 22, 2020

I enjoyed taking this course because I have learned a lot.

By Codrin K

Jul 02, 2018

Good overview of topics regarding ethics in data science.

By Peter P

Feb 17, 2018

The course provides a good insight into some of the issues with the ethics of data science. Perhaps there is too much focus on data validity and not enough on ethics. This course shows that there is a need for systematic ethical enquiry into this subject.

By Katherine S

Jan 23, 2019

Good course. Challenging and thought provoking. The professor was very good, but, even if you complete all assignments, your certification and grade depends upon having others in the course go in and review your assignment. Even if you review more than you are required to review, if others don't review yours, you don't pass or get your certification. So, be aware of that if you are attending a class in the hopes of obtaining a certification. It is not guaranteed even if you do all of the work.