Back to Data Science Ethics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Ethics by University of Michigan

What are the ethical considerations regarding the privacy and control of consumer information and big data, especially in the aftermath of recent large-scale data breaches? This course provides a framework to analyze these concerns as you examine the ethical and privacy implications of collecting and managing big data. Explore the broader impact of the data science field on modern society and the principles of fairness, accountability and transparency as you gain a deeper understanding of the importance of a shared set of ethical values. You will examine the need for voluntary disclosure when leveraging metadata to inform basic algorithms and/or complex artificial intelligence systems while also learning best practices for responsible data management, understanding the significance of the Fair Information Practices Principles Act and the laws concerning the "right to be forgotten." This course will help you answer questions such as who owns data, how do we value privacy, how to receive informed consent and what it means to be fair. Data scientists and anyone beginning to use or expand their use of data will benefit from this course. No particular previous knowledge needed....

LA
Jun 26, 2019

I really enjoyed the material and the way it was presented. Even though I am not new to the topic, still more avenues and perspectives were supported with very good examples. Very refreshing.

OA
Mar 9, 2021

The course was a great opportunity to understand more about the ethics behind the data science and even more, behind the technology. Some subjects will support me on the future researches.

26 - 50 of 161 Reviews for Data Science Ethics

By Christopher A

Feb 13, 2018

I like to think I'm an ethical person, but this course challenged me about some biases I hadn't even considered. It's a well presented course that won't demand that you put hours and hours in every week.

By Otávio d P A

Mar 10, 2021

By Phoebe J G

Mar 3, 2021

The instructor really explained everything well and in detailed manner. I appreciate all the videos and case studies. Those tools help me to understand the subject in a deeper manner.

By Davion

Jun 20, 2021

Awesome course that is being carefully prepared. The case studies are classic hence it is rather easy to correlate with the identified problem being introduced throughout the course.

By Arun S

Feb 21, 2021

This course is really amazing for the data science professionals. We get to know so many things pertaining to Data Science and the ethics which should be practiced in this domain.

By Saket k

Aug 23, 2020

Great learning. It's very important to know about data science ethics so that helps human to make productive use of it which will benefit entire diversity.

By Frank N

Mar 31, 2021

An eye-opening course! The instructor is very talented. His pace of teaching allows you to reflect deeply on the issues. I truly enjoyed this course.

By casey l

Jan 28, 2020

I think some of the concepts are really new and hard to grasp. But that's with everything we are learning that's new. Uncomfortable is good.

By Sahibzada A M

May 14, 2018

Excellent Course. Gives interesting and detailed perspectives on ethical matters related to how data can be used and should be used.

By Yevhenii S

Jun 9, 2019

It is really good course, all described topics are highly important to know for everyone who working with data and information.

By Jumoke O

Oct 7, 2020

Great knowledge and insight on data privacy for both individual and organizations, and it was a great learning experience.

By Grzegorz K

Oct 6, 2019

Nice, introductory course to ethics in data science. It is a good starting point for ethics considerations in this area.

By BHAVESH N P

Mar 6, 2018

I liked this course very much and Data Science Ethics explained very nice manner. I will recommend to join this course.

By Sabrina I

Crucial to our understanding of the future of Data Science and our role in shaping a better tomorrow through ethics.

By Eise d V

Nov 8, 2018

Short, but great course for beginners that gives interesting perspectives on some ethical matters in data science.

By Philip A

Aug 20, 2018

It is quite amazing I took this course. I was able to apply it to other scenarios in my personal online life.

By Ileana R

Apr 13, 2020

A really good and practical course to understand the basics of ethics for all of us that manage data.

By Domingo M

May 5, 2020

An excellent view to think about what we should do and not do with data and analysis that we can do.

By Nicole R

May 13, 2018

A rigorous, mind-opening course on the ethical questions raised by the collection and use of data.

By Senthanal S M

Dec 31, 2017

Very informative and enough case studies to show examples. Highly recommended for data scientists.

By Indrajeet K

Jun 24, 2020

I am very interested to the study of data science ethics and very good experience in this study.

By Cinta S S

Jan 24, 2021

Incredible teacher! Explains everything perfectly and makes it easy to understand the concepts.

By P. A N S D P

Nice and good course which helps us to understand what is going in the society in present days.

By Daniel E

May 3, 2020

It’s a Great course that help me into jump in the all ethics aspect that sorround data science

By Trisha C

Feb 11, 2021

Excellent instructor, case studies as examples, format, assessment, and peer review process.