Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

SF
Apr 14, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

LR
Sep 7, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

4601 - 4625 of 6,556 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By Umar F A K

Jun 23, 2020

This course is very educative and easy to follow by anyone regardless of their previous knowledge in Data Science. I recommend this course to anyone who want to learn r programming and data science.

By Carlos C B J

Feb 15, 2018

It is possible to learn how to set-up your computer to use R and Rstudio. It gives an overview about Git and Github. The only deficiency ,in my opinion, is the lack of linux explanation in set-ups.

By Navid S

Aug 24, 2019

It would be helpful for absolute beginners who even have difficulty in installing programs like R and GitHub but otherwise it felt a bit too basic although informative with some of the Git commands

By Tom J

Aug 17, 2019

Most of the instructions were very clear. Image quality for pushing files to Github via command lines was poor, so it was difficult to follow along. Not sure why there were 2 Git bash counsels open

By Emanuele M

Feb 10, 2016

it's well done, i was expecting more details in the lessons while students it's requested to search many things on internet in order to learn, for instance GitBash. However it's a good first course

By Richard B

Oct 8, 2018

Having to skip through all the Mac videos is annoying. Just make an option at the beginning if you're working on mac or pc or both so i don't have to deal with skipping some videos and not others.

By Joshua

Feb 26, 2018

This course seemed a little to basic. I know it gets much harder going forward (as I've already started on the next course), but I feel like more knowledge could have been packed into this course.

By Stephanie C

Sep 21, 2017

Some of the course material seems a little out of order, and some things I went externally to figure out, but overall I think that it is a great class for someone looking to get into data science.

By Shubham T

Jul 2, 2020

Great course to know these tools. Need more explanation with the videos and more interactive assignments to understand better. Also, language change is one thing that needs to acquire eventually.

By Matt R

Feb 10, 2018

Additional exercises on setup and use of git would have been helpful, particularly with the local and remote synchronization. You may want to phone-a-friend on git if you need to use it daily...

By yanto

Sep 25, 2016

Well basically tutors only providing slides, speech, forums and ebook in this course...rest is self-learning, self-understanding, self-asking... if not, then you'll not pass this course i think..

By Koduru K C

May 2, 2016

The course covered the foundations well especially how and what softwares to install etc. I would have given five stars if the course contains covered some extra details about R and datascience.

By Kjell E N

May 6, 2020

Fine, but (as the authors admit up front) there is room for improvement in the canned text-to-speech. Does feel kind of impersonal. But I am going to continue with this course of study anyway.

By Wei D

Jul 14, 2019

Good starting point for beginners to learn about R. Basic experience with git is a must although it is possible for complete beginners. Will just take more time to do the homework and quizzes.

By Mohamed I A

Dec 23, 2017

Nice course as a start... I just felt I need more knowledge in the area of github (the idea of pushing, pulling and forking). But maybe it will be more clear by time as this was just an intro.

By Andika Z F

Jul 26, 2020

I think it will be better if we have not a computer programmed lecturer to give the material because I find it hard to understand what she says and I will prefer more on actual human lecturer

By Alina S T

Sep 12, 2019

I took the same course 6 years ago and it was a little more challenging. It actually had coding assignments. and not only in R, but in Python and SQL too. That was a more complex "toolbox"...

By Anoop B

May 3, 2020

The course was excellent however the robotic sound of the AI was a challenge. Once I overcame my inhibition to learn from an AI system, I started to like the course and learnt a lot from it.

By Yitong L

Jun 9, 2019

This course missed some important step, for example, the git push which is not be cleared how to push and does not teach us the git pull as the REANDME.MD is not in the local repo initially.

By Ashish K

Dec 8, 2018

Should spend a little more time explaining how interaction between Git and Github works. It is not very intuitive and requires revisiting the video as well as google search to understand it.

By Arjun S

Aug 27, 2017

A very easy course, can be completed in 3-4 days at max. Having done R programming course first, this was a breeze taking a couple days. Good for people starting off with the specialization.

By Sander H

Apr 25, 2017

What I like (so far) is that you have to search for information via internet and by practising your knowledge in GIT and GIThub you can discover what you have learned or what should improve.

By Manu B

Oct 10, 2020

The course was informative enough for the tools needed. But I think a separate course just for sake of knowing tools makes not much sense. I wish there was more in this course to implement.

By Demi

Apr 26, 2017

Some detail of the Quiz and course project were not mentioned in those video courses, it made me have to google or find out the answer in other ways. But through this, I did learned more .

By Samiksha S

Jun 29, 2020

Good course for beginners to data science world.

However some more application questions must be added in each section to acquaint the learners with a thorough knowledge and understanding.