Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

LR
Sep 7, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

SF
Apr 14, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

276 - 300 of 6,550 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By John

Apr 22, 2018

This course was a lot of initial set up for the rest of the program. Basically just setting up programs and getting accounts ready for future study. All in all a good start, I expect material and course work will significantly pick up now

By Ajay S C

Aug 22, 2017

its a nice course to introduce you with the tools required ahead in this journey of data science learning. It helps you in taking that first important step for moving confidently ahead in this great learning. Keep up the good work coursera

By Eugene V

Aug 30, 2020

Content is not so engaging but I think the new format (text-speech) will help improve the course delivery. Topics are discussed thoroughly and if a certain topic will not be discussed in detail, links to additional materials are provided.

By Michael M

Exactly what I wanted from an introduction. I feel prepared to begin the more challenging courses in this specialization.

This course isn't so much a value-add on its own, but is designed to set students up for success in a specialization.

By Tommy Y

Apr 12, 2021

It was an informative foundation to start learning R-programming to Data Analysis. Although it was not easy at all for me to complete this course, I really loved to learn this toolbox including important concepts of statistical analysis.

By Muhamed N A A

Dec 17, 2017

Though it was a ground basic skills, but yet solid to build upon. This course helped me a lot getting a clear picture of what is data & data science and the necessary tools required to analyize & generate actionable data.

Thanks Coursera

By Hemanshu S

Dec 5, 2017

This is really good course and overview about Data science. I had great start for course and Git and basic commands of Linux after several years.

This course will definitely give me exposure to think in best future stream of IT industry

By Lam Y H

Aug 23, 2017

A great introduction to Data Science and the necessary tools required for the remaining course. Fairly simple, but more catered to a warm up for the remaining courses. Would encourage everyone to continue to complete the specialization.

By Hasan B

Jan 11, 2020

A very good, organized, and interesting course that teaches you the fundamental introductory elements conserning data science, and helps you learn how to set up essential tools in order to begin learning R programing and using RStudio.

By Sean S

Dec 26, 2019

I thought this course gave a great introduction to the topics being covered in the Data Science Specialization. I think the only thing I would of liked to of seen is more case studies and maybe some more supplemental reading materials!

By Sheikh A

May 25, 2018

Eases into the world of Data science. I do not know if things are as equally easy as this in the future or is this the calm before the storm. Either ways, I'm very glad I took this step, and would recommend this to any one considering.

By Frederico P

Nov 8, 2020

Great course, with thorough explanations regarding types of data, data science, the importance of version control and begins to introduce Big Data. It is complete and gives an excellent ground to start developing your first projects.

By Serbay S

May 9, 2018

Content is sufficient for really beginners or who do not have previous experience . I learned about Data Science, Git and GitHub usage. I am planning to continue to next courses of John Hopkins University. Thank you for instructors:)

By Yian L

Apr 9, 2020

I like the instruction of connecting programming with Github. This is not taught in my other courses but being extra helpful for people who will work in the programming communities. The automated voice delivers contents efficiently.

By Hassan M S

Mar 28, 2020

The method of presenting the course is a dream come true for me! I am the type of person who can better learn by reading and always enjoyed the reading material of the course. A course containing solely the reading material is epic!

By Joseph F

Nov 5, 2020

This is a concise course for someone who has zero background in Data Science. Relevant supplementary readings were available and the samples used were really helpful. I enjoyed the learning process and I also loved the xkcd comics!

By TAN S C

Jun 8, 2020

Great course for a beginner. Very interesting introduction of Data Scientist’s Toolbox for self-learner in R like me. This course really useful and do help to solve my problem in track changes and manage my code for time to time.

By Eugene K

Apr 24, 2019

This course is very comprehensive and if you watch the video and try and follow all the links to webpages, publications, etc. and then try to connect the dots you really have a great start in data science. Not to be missed. Thanks.

By Susan M

Aug 22, 2017

Great intro course, really enjoy the self paced schedule. As a busy professional, it is often hard to find time to commit to scheduled courses. I am very grateful for Coursera, and all of the universities, who make this possible!

By Robyn W

Aug 16, 2020

I came to start learning about R, and walked away with an understand of why I also need to learn R, Rstudio, Git, and Github. I'm grateful that this course taught me how to set all of that up, in preparation for the next course!

By AASHUTOSH J

Jun 10, 2020

The way of approaching and explaining the concept was really helpful for me.

Nice way of approaching the concepts and problem-solving skills.

The best part is that it shows a perfect example and explanation of ML and Data Science.

By Rachel H

This is a concise and well-structured course for beginners of data science. I would recommend this new way of teaching (robotic voice hahaha) for other online lectures, as this is a new way to review and update course materials.

By Wayne W

Mar 23, 2016

A good overview. Set the expectations for what will happen in the rest of the Data Science classes. Gave a lot of good, basic information for people that are not familiar with git, GitHub, Rstudio, and basic Linux/Unix commands.

By Umberto M

Feb 9, 2016

Is a very nice course. Is very basic but exposes you to the tools most used in the trade. If you have any IT background you will not probably benefit that much, except in learning what kind of tools are relevant to data science.

By charan k C

Feb 17, 2020

This Course gives you the basic level of understanding of what is data science and its impacts on the market. You can know about Version Control and Tools like R - Studio. Overall as a beginner, i learnt a lot from this course.