Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

LR
Sep 7, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

SF
Apr 14, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

351 - 375 of 6,550 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By Sruhith K

Oct 23, 2019

I loved the support of the Coursera, throughout this course and the way of unfolding a course all the way through till the end!

Really loved each and every aspect of the whole cream.

Thanks and love, Coursera!

By Miss A N

Nov 2, 2020

Great course! It was especially helpful for me to connect RStudio to GitHub and understand how the two tools work together for version control. I never would have figured this out on my own! Thanks so much!

By KHANGJRAKPAM A

Jan 5, 2020

It was an amazing course. The versioning of code during development is something that Data Scientist new to the trade are unaware of . It was good to have this knowledge of how to do versioning through Git.

By Darcy L

Sep 12, 2018

Nice balance between giving me the info I needed to complete the course and homework and providing links to materials and suggestions on how to find answers that were not explicitly covered in the videos.

By Álvaro G

Jul 17, 2017

I loved this class. The lessons were concise and very well planned, the information clear and easy to grasp and it gave me a very good perspective of what the rest of the specialization is going to entail.

By Priyanka K

Jun 30, 2016

Thank you so much for the great course! Looking forward to taking the rest of the classes in the specialization. I really love the GitHub info, lectures overall, as well as the Textbooks you have provided.

By Soumyadeep S

Dec 30, 2020

Week 3 was so informative and well constructed. It was a joy doing the course. Git and Github part is excellently explained and the linking between Git hub and R Studio as well. Fantastic course overall.

By Nnamdi E

May 14, 2020

This course is wonderful. Very detailed.

My main concern with MOOCs is the data consumed by videos but the videos here are so light. I don't have to worry about the size and I played them more than once.

By Sohan A

Jan 6, 2020

A well structured course. At first you feel like there is nothing interesting but later on, I enjoyed this and boost my confidence. Only minus point was sound in video, it should have been real persons'.

By Robin F

Oct 12, 2018

This course will probably be too easy if you already know about data science but it is perfect for neophytes who do not have the tools and the codes of data science yet. I strongly recommend this course!

By Lailatul S B A R

Jun 12, 2020

Good introductory course and easy to follow to have basic understanding on Data Science and R programming language and how to use and interlink between R, RStudio, GitHub and the rest of the tools used.

By Christian S

Jan 12, 2020

I've been using SAS and Visual Basic as primary data manipulation tools from my very first job to date. I wanted to learn R/RStudio and this course provided a very good introductory learning experience.

By Alice

Mar 30, 2019

A great start to the world of data science. Love the idea of duplicating videos with text courses. I'm saving all texts to a folder for future use - this is a gold mine! Great job on the course, people!

By Ishtiak A

Jan 7, 2018

This a a nice introductory course for approaching data science domain. The instructor and course materials are very good to understand the basic concepts of the tools required for data science projects.

By HANEESH K M

Aug 16, 2020

This is an introductory course which will give support in setting up all the basic tools for datascience like github. This course also discuss the basic features of datascience and statistical analysis

By peter d

Jun 7, 2020

This first module for the course is a great step in learning the fundamentals of Data Science. The RStudio and GitHub classes are excellent. I now have a starting point to mastering those environments!

By Anshu S

Dec 20, 2018

This is a very important courase for the basics of all the software, tools and concepts regarding Data Science. I learned a lot with this course and the lecture is quite sufficient for the basic of it.

By Geetanjali B

Sep 3, 2016

This course helps people attain the basic knowledge of the tools that are to be used while creating scripts. It also emphasizes the value of community feedback, which helps us learn in a better manner.

By Krista C

Jan 3, 2021

This course spoon-fed me as a beginner, which was great. The quizzes were well-done because they brought to light any weakness or gaps in my understanding so I could go back and review the processes.

By Amit k

Mar 12, 2020

I would like to thank Coursera and Johns Hopkins University for the course, I learned new things in the course which I think is the next step which can help me to accomplish my future goals.

Thank you.

By LUIS F A E

Oct 12, 2020

Excelent course, it teaches you the basics of data science and how to set up all the software you will need. It's very basic but if you have no idea about data science it's a great introduction to it

By Sai C

Oct 8, 2020

Great course content and very much informative with the different options of learning either through text or video. A good introductory course to the Data Science: Foundations Using R Specialization.

By Nishank B

Jun 3, 2017

Nice Course. Basics are very well taught in this course.

Thank you JHU and Coursera for this course. I have decided to donate 10% of my first salary to coursera once I am complete this and get intern.

By Arturo P

Nov 1, 2020

it's a really nice introduction to the data science world and to the experimental design. Also it has useful tools like the usage of github and git to share and make projects in a unlimited-like way

By Darek G

Jun 13, 2017

Pretty easy, and never felt like it was a struggle to find the information that was needed. Basically a setup course for out things you'll need for the likes of R Programming and Data Science work.