Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

SF
Apr 14, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

LR
Sep 7, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

4726 - 4750 of 6,789 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By Andrey S

Jul 6, 2018

A nicely designed introductory course of the specialization. Doesn't' have any sufficient value as a standalone course, still, has crucial importance for the thorough and successful study of other courses in the specialization

By Antonio G M

Jan 3, 2019

It is a nice course. From my point of view it would be great if it included more advanced content but I understand that it is an introductory course so it is ok. In that sense it is great for people that is new to this topic.

By Kari R

Dec 4, 2020

Great concepts for someone new to R, R Markdown and data science. Im only putting 4 stars because I wasn't a fan of learning from a bot, and video content didn't closely demonstrate the how to during technical walkthroughs.

By Uğurcan K

Aug 30, 2020

It's indisputable that topics in this course are so important to build a foundation for being a data scientist. The only problem I've faced is that the lessons are much slight. It should have given more details about topics.

By Atef A

Nov 17, 2020

The course is well explained and give a great introduction to Data Science, but i would found it easier if the speed of instructions was slower and the tasks had more details in them to follow. In general, very good course.

By Jonelle C

Sep 11, 2020

Very easy to understand program, step by step helps a lot and the videos are actually very informative and helpful. I had a few problems with downloading and integrating Github into my Rstudio but it was easy to figure out.

By Zhao Y

Oct 21, 2018

got a general view of tools that data scientists need to know about or master. really useful and inspiring. this course encourages me to figure out problems I might meet during data analyzing like a data scientist. cheers.

By Lindtner A C

Jun 8, 2017

it was hard to find to rewatch to git tutorials, as it was very fractured. Also, hated watching MAC tutorials to get all the vids done. Otherwise useful and well prepared material, looking forward for the rest of the spec.

By Sapna G

Jan 20, 2017

My first online course and it could not have been any better. Gives me the confidence that I can learn online and add to my knowledge new things. Course material was explained in simple terms which is not the case always.

By Carlos C

Aug 19, 2020

Good course to get you started on the Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University. Maybe it could have had more weeks or more content, or at least more complicated exercises, but overall it's ok to start.

By Leah F

Jun 26, 2020

I think the submission for the markdown file should be allowed to be EITHER an .md file OR an .Rmd file. Seems kind of silly to lose credit for pushing a .Rmd file directly from RStudio rather than saving a text file.

By Jeffrey G

May 30, 2017

It was a fine overview. I think the suggested text was also okay, but for a $10 suggested price, I would say that there should either be a reading assignment or it should be made more clear that the text is optional.

By Álvaro S F

Aug 27, 2020

I wish I could listen to the professors' actual voices, because doing so in a more natural way would help me avoid tuning out from the lessons from time to time. But I fully understand why they are doing it this way.

By Anne N N T A

Jul 7, 2020

OK introductory course to the tools used by data scientists, however it's a bit odd this is a standalone course; IMO the course content isn't enough and should be combined with the next course in this specialization.

By Karen P

Mar 31, 2018

The class definitely eased a new learner who is unfamiliar with the concepts and skills. There are areas in this class that seemed outdated an made the class a bit confusing. Hopefully, those can be update in time.

By Karen H

Mar 10, 2016

This introductory course is a good overview, goes pretty quickly through the basics, and gets you prepped for delving deeper in the subject matter. Planning to sign up for the next course in this certificate program.

By Nick S

Nov 1, 2019

This course was fantastic, I just wish that there was more interactive work within the lesson's versus only in the final project. I believe that would help the material set in faster and better. Overall good course.

By Evdoxia X

May 25, 2021

Interesting and quite understandable course! However, I would like to see some examples additional with the theory, especially for all the participants like me who cannot contact a professor for some clarification.

By Delaram A

Apr 8, 2020

The content of the course was well-structured and useful. But unfortunately I could not use the videos very well. The robot voice was so annoying. I think the human voice is more soulful, pleasant and encouraging.

By Mixalis K

May 21, 2017

It was very exciting taking this class because i learnt about the conceptual ideas of data scince wich was my goal and the fact that i started using some data science tools also helped in understanding the issue

By José F E K

Nov 19, 2018

I think it's a great course, but because it's the course on tools for a data scientist, it would be a more effective approach if it contained more information about many other tools used by those professionals.

By Morgan W

Jan 18, 2016

Good introductory course. Learnt a more structured approach to categorising statistical methods. Much of the rest of the content was a bit basic, though probably useful to fill in any knowledge gaps pre-course.

By Eryka W

May 12, 2020

This was a very good overview of what a data scientist needs. The information was presented clearly and it was very helpful to do projects along with the seminars to start learning R, R Studio, and R Markdown.

By Muhammad B

Jan 28, 2018

Author was speaking to quickly, its was every difficult to understand for me as non-native English speakers. An other thing that i notice is that the error message was completely misleading. Should be improved

By Andrés C

Oct 5, 2016

It is very clear and useful course. It holds one hand to go sure through the contents. Anyway, I would suggest to end at certain point doing something simple in R, to give an end to this chapter in this story.