Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

LR

Sep 08, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

SF

Apr 15, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

4076 - 4100 of 5,721 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By Ajay K S

Jul 15, 2017

Although I am vey much satisfied with this course but i felt a little low during the slides for explanation of types of data science .

Rest was superb.

By Jack L

Jan 16, 2017

Pretty light weight so far, but I certainly understand it's targeted at a broad range of people so the vanilla material is probably a chore for some.

By Zhuoxiang Y

Nov 29, 2016

This is a clear introductory course, but the content is not as much as expected. Compared with other coursera course, this one is like one-week pack.

By Harshita D

May 08, 2020

The course is well structured but I still prefer that students new to this must read from other sources as well to completely understand the topics.

By David A

Jul 06, 2017

Good and easy introductory course. Finished it in about 3 hours total - don't expect this to be the pace for the rest of the specialization, though!

By Wissam A

Jan 04, 2017

Lots of information. I learned quite a lot. It was a nice and informative introduction to Data Science in all aspects technically and theoretically.

By Cesar M A T

Aug 02, 2020

This is a mere course on installing all the necessary tools and setting your environment, so the explanations are short lived and practice is null.

By Nicholas E B

Mar 06, 2019

Gives you the basics of how to use R and it's different file sharing platforms, is very useful when completing a project with various contributors

By Graham W

Feb 17, 2016

Good overview, I appreciated that the course gets you set up and makes you prove it. More command line and RStudio simple exercises would be nice.

By PATNAYAKUNI P

Jul 07, 2020

coursers are well explained.some of the topics are not explained .i request you to provide links to study the topics which are briefly explained.

By Emilie B

Nov 15, 2016

I've just started this course, that's why my rating is 4/5. But I'm very satisfied with the video lecture, and I find it very interesting so far.

By Melinda M

Jan 24, 2016

Useful couple of modules for helping you get set up with R and Git/GitHub. Really doesn't require a full month to do.

The quizzes were pointless.

By Anand R

Mar 04, 2020

It was helpful for the beginners who is willing to learn data science and gained a knowledge about Github and other aspects. Thanks for Coursera

By Adam G

Jan 05, 2018

Good course that clearly explains basic R & data science concepts. Workload was very light - didn't get to practice or learn as much as I hoped.

By Bhojraj B

May 04, 2016

This course is great to start with. It provides overview of what is in the course and how should we as students be prepared to learn the course.

By David R

Mar 07, 2020

Excellent course. I found it particularly hard in the first two weeks. Practical exercises were intense. Discussion forms really helped out.

By Karthik R

Jan 16, 2017

Very good in setting up for the next courses. I would like to see more on Git though because I could have definitely understood it a bit better

By Douglas

Jul 16, 2016

With my background I found this part of the course rather slow, but I can see why it's necessary for people with less of a software background.

By Nick M

Jun 29, 2020

Nice way to teach but more example related to bio medical please add more example like finance and technology and please check out while study

By Kingsley B

Jul 22, 2019

Liked the course and completed all the quizzes and project. But couldn't submit and earn a certificate because I can't afford to pay the fees.

By Melanie A

Feb 08, 2017

The course is a real beginner's guide to the world of data science and gives a good introduction to some of the tools used by data scientists.

By Heiko R

May 27, 2019

The course was well laid out and covered the basics of definitions as well as setting up R, RStudio, GitHub and showing how to use RMarkdown.

By Glauco P S

Jul 01, 2020

I do understand why they used automated videos in order to keep all the material as updated as possible, however it is a strange experience.

By Judith W

Apr 02, 2020

It is a good course to get familiar with the basics, however, I would have liked a little more actual content. Week Four I enjoyed the most.

By Suryakant S

Feb 08, 2020

I liked the course as it helped me to understand the basics of R programming including the installation of R studio and linking it to GitHub