Back to Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures by University of California San Diego

A good algorithm usually comes together with a set of good data structures that allow the algorithm to manipulate the data efficiently. In this course, we consider the common data structures that are used in various computational problems. You will learn how these data structures are implemented in different programming languages and will practice implementing them in our programming assignments. This will help you to understand what is going on inside a particular built-in implementation of a data structure and what to expect from it. You will also learn typical use cases for these data structures. A few examples of questions that we are going to cover in this class are the following: 1. What is a good strategy of resizing a dynamic array? 2. How priority queues are implemented in C++, Java, and Python? 3. How to implement a hash table so that the amortized running time of all operations is O(1) on average? 4. What are good strategies to keep a binary tree balanced? You will also learn how services like Dropbox manage to upload some large files instantly and to save a lot of storage space!...

DG
May 23, 2016

I like this course very much! Rope is the cleverest task I have ever done! Of course, I hope in future I will work on even more difficult problems, but this is pretty good already for me as a student!

PS
Jul 9, 2020

I think the course content and assignments were great. A suggestion though, it will be more helpful if there are more and varied corner cases that would save time spent in thinking and making cases.

476 - 500 of 617 Reviews for Data Structures

By Tomasz J

Jan 4, 2017

I've learnt a lot. The content is very interesting but a bit challenging. I had hard times accomplishing all the assignment and put much more work than I expected.

By Rashim N T

Dec 23, 2019

It's a fine course, you'll get a LOT of information but it's up to you to keep it. Personally, I would've liked more types of trees but anyways I am satisfied.

By Sayantan B

Aug 25, 2020

Week 1 to Week 4 Fabulous. Week 5 and 6, based on BST, failed to provide me with proper knowledge. Also couldn't understand AVL trees and Splay trees coding.

By Kevlin

Very Interactive Instructors. Learned a lot from this course for my career opportunities. Assignments aptly analyzed the understanding of the subject.

By philip g

Jun 27, 2017

great course; challenging and I learnt a lot. only problem is that its quite long, I found it hard to keep my momentum going all the way through!

By Chuan L

Oct 24, 2017

Course materials are very smartly designed but some of the problems are too difficult for a beginner, though the solution could be very smart.

By John F

Apr 19, 2020

Material was great. Only issue was unit testing of programming assignments. The template code should have associated template unit tests.

By Aditya R

Feb 22, 2020

Great course! however, if they provide additional materials to boost your coding style with STL libraries, the course would be top notch.

By yousrijames

Jun 4, 2017

it was an awesome specially the dsu and heap sessions , but i think that the second week was very hard and wasn't useful for me ,, thanks

By Jeffrey W

Mar 19, 2019

Very good. I feel the discussion forums could be a little more active and responsive, but I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot

By Xi Y

Jul 30, 2016

The last two weeks' content may need to be revised to provide a better learning experience. To me, it seems a little bit too fast.

By Pawan k a

Jun 7, 2020

This course has only one weak point that is its mentors and teaching staff who are not actively helping on discussion forums.

By Pavel O

Nov 9, 2016

Very good course. I would not say its for beginner. But would definitely helps you in the future progress of your career.

By Garima B

Sep 5, 2016

The course material was good and the understanding of the subject was satisfactory . :)

Thank You and keep us updated .

By Srividya S

Sep 12, 2018

This course is very useful for programmers and contains in depth detail of the various commonly used data structures.

By Ankit K

Oct 16, 2020

course is great . Learnt a lot . I will Pratice more. And take up other courses if my time permits. learning is fun.

By zhouning z

Jul 19, 2016

great course but I think the last two modules are a little difficult to understand, especially for beginner like me

By Kalin D D

Nov 22, 2018

More exercise will be better. It will be good you mention red-black tree segment and interval trees B and B+ trees

By Diego A

Sep 9, 2016

Overall the course is good. The last two weeks on AVL and

Splay trees need more examples and felt a bit rushed.

By John F

Jul 28, 2018

Good introduction to data structures - with a focus on the implementation rather than using premade libraries.

By Rishav R

Apr 5, 2019

I wish every assignment had the test cases

The course is awesome anyways and focuses on more than just grades.

By Xavier C i R

May 20, 2016

Great course although last lesson about splay trees explanation is too fast and basic for me to understand.

By Kodumuri S

Sep 14, 2020

The accent of tutors is a bit hard for me to understand but eventually i got used to it ,Good course!

By Can R

Jun 12, 2018

instuctors no longer check the discussion boards. So it's a hassle to get the right answers sometimes

By Planck M

Jan 11, 2018

many subtitle of the video doesn't match what the speaker is saying, so I hope you can improve it,thx