Back to Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures by University of California San Diego

A good algorithm usually comes together with a set of good data structures that allow the algorithm to manipulate the data efficiently. In this course, we consider the common data structures that are used in various computational problems. You will learn how these data structures are implemented in different programming languages and will practice implementing them in our programming assignments. This will help you to understand what is going on inside a particular built-in implementation of a data structure and what to expect from it. You will also learn typical use cases for these data structures. A few examples of questions that we are going to cover in this class are the following: 1. What is a good strategy of resizing a dynamic array? 2. How priority queues are implemented in C++, Java, and Python? 3. How to implement a hash table so that the amortized running time of all operations is O(1) on average? 4. What are good strategies to keep a binary tree balanced? You will also learn how services like Dropbox manage to upload some large files instantly and to save a lot of storage space!...

DG

May 24, 2016

I like this course very much! Rope is the cleverest task I have ever done! Of course, I hope in future I will work on even more difficult problems, but this is pretty good already for me as a student!

PS

Jul 10, 2020

I think the course content and assignments were great. A suggestion though, it will be more helpful if there are more and varied corner cases that would save time spent in thinking and making cases.

551 - 575 of 588 Reviews for Data Structures

By Zhongyu K

May 26, 2016

The depth and explanation of theoretical concepts are better than the first course. I like the in depth discussion over various introduced data structures, for instance there are comparisons between naive implementations vs smarter implementations. However overall the topic is very theoretical, maybe add a little more connection of each introduced data structure with respect to its application would make the topic less dry and more motivating.

By Ashley F

Jan 23, 2018

During this course, my experience was that the lectures and course notes did not seem to equip me to answer the quiz questions. While I was able to complete the practical assignments fine, I found the quizzes to be much harder and in some cases I needed to guess my way past. This may simply reflect a difficulty on my part to properly learn the material. Thanks to the authors for an interesting course, regardless!

By Andrey U

Jun 13, 2016

Course content is ok, but some lectors are really boring in explaining mathematical details.

Tasks are pretty easy, and this is from algorithmic perspective, because from programming there are almost nothing to do.

And overall it feels that there are not so much info as for 5 weeks course. If it would cost lest, than it would be ok. But for 80$ I've expected more.

By Prashant S

Aug 04, 2018

I completed the course, and liked the choice of topics and problems very much - thank you for your efforts! For the next version, I'd recommend having more "intuition" videos. Sort of like Andrew Ng does in his introductory ML video. Overall, the course was vey useful in giving a strong foundation of the fundamentals. thank you!

By Atharva T

Jun 05, 2020

The course is great in theory while in practice they should provide solutions for the questions that we were unable to solve so as to help and benefit us in the future. Please consider this review and improve upon all other courses of this specialization.

By Maksadbek A

Nov 25, 2018

Some lectures give very limited information to understand the topic. Therefore I had to watch other lectures on YouTube. Hashtables topic have much more lectures(5 hours) for 1 week. But Binary Search Trees are splitted into 2 weeks with the same hours.

By Ayush M

Mar 06, 2017

For a beginner like me its totally going over the head. I mean i get the logic but if you guys can please give more code...

I am learning data structures for the first time and it is bit difficult for me to grasp it all and write codes in a week...

By SNEHAL K C

Sep 12, 2020

The course was little bit boring because of some of the speakers. It was little hard to understand their accent and along with that grasp everything needed.

Also the programming challenges I found a little hard but tried to do the best to solve.

By TONG W

Aug 04, 2017

The last part of this course is unsatisfied. It seems that the teacher in the last part is not very responsible for this course and he obviously has a bad preparation for this course.

By Sivagopal M

Apr 21, 2020

You should provide option to download failed test cases, then we can further develop our solution by solving edge case and improve our skills.

By Mayur A

Apr 25, 2020

Some of the lectures were not explained in a good way. Like the lectures on Amortized analysis were not much effective, according to me.

By Pradeep B P

Apr 12, 2018

Course has a slow pace by the time it reaches hashing and the videos only reads out the formulas.

By YOUZHI S

Aug 12, 2020

The programming exercises are not friendly at all for learners new to python and algorithms.

By Akshay P

Jun 01, 2020

Learned most of the part easily... had difficulties in some part. overall good course.

By Irwan

Jul 20, 2020

Daniel kane is terrible lecturer, used lots of vague terms

By Lavangna D

Jul 05, 2020

Basics not covered

By Yu D

Mar 21, 2020

too hard

By Hasan N N

Aug 10, 2020

good

By Abdulrahman A

Apr 04, 2017

none

By Mohit c

Oct 16, 2020

By Vivekanand G N

Aug 18, 2016

Pros:

Effort has been taken in putting up the assignments.

Cons:

Quality of teaching is very poor and too fast to follow through . Instructors have rushed to present course material . I would not recommend this course . Princeton and Stanford offer much higher quality and presentation on the same topics.

By Jared P

Oct 25, 2016

Some of the assignments seemed overly complicated and irrelevant to the topics discussed. On a few occasions the videos would mention something but never discuss the reasoning. Once I posted to the forum and no one answered so I never asked about the other questions I found during the videos.

By Dhananjay S

Jul 05, 2020

The course is well designed and well taught too but, it has some limitations that the mentors and the faculties are not well interactive with the students as we as a student had to pass through various hardships to pass the programming assignment. The threads are not answered by mentors.

By Cameron F

Jun 14, 2016

I'm honestly quite pissed. The material itself is fine but I have had a terrible experience working with the instructors. I don't think I will continue taking these courses.

I don't appreciate the amount of time and effort given into the programming assignments only to receive practically zero help. First of all, I don't know WHY I'm failing the test cases, I just am. Your program runs through maybe 100 tests to ensure correctness but somehow the instructors decide you should only see the first 3. But then, I try posting on the forums to receive help only to have it removed. Quite frankly, I have spent well over 10 hours at this point on a single problem and I've created my own tests and I have looked at all the very vague hints given in the forums and I still have no clue what to do. I have school, a job, and yet I'm losing all this productivity because I'm running all these damn tests hoping on the off-chance that I catch whatever weird bug it is that's failing my code. All I want is real, concrete feedback.

By Noel

May 23, 2017

The coursework for this course is not bad. But unfortunately, I was unable to find any help on questions on their discussion forum by the teaching assistants and professors monitoring the course. The course material was based on deriving and proving standard proofs versus trying to explain the underlying concept. I do not believe that this course was worth my money. All the knowledge I obtained in this course could have been obtaining from Data Structures and Algorithms by Micheal Goodrich and Roberto Tamasia. There were occasional references to stackoverflow among the course resources which I feel is not professional (though a good source of information).