Back to Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures by University of California San Diego

A good algorithm usually comes together with a set of good data structures that allow the algorithm to manipulate the data efficiently. In this online course, we consider the common data structures that are used in various computational problems. You will learn how these data structures are implemented in different programming languages and will practice implementing them in our programming assignments. This will help you to understand what is going on inside a particular built-in implementation of a data structure and what to expect from it. You will also learn typical use cases for these data structures. A few examples of questions that we are going to cover in this class are the following: 1. What is a good strategy of resizing a dynamic array? 2. How priority queues are implemented in C++, Java, and Python? 3. How to implement a hash table so that the amortized running time of all operations is O(1) on average? 4. What are good strategies to keep a binary tree balanced? You will also learn how services like Dropbox manage to upload some large files instantly and to save a lot of storage space!...

DG

May 23, 2016

I like this course very much! Rope is the cleverest task I have ever done! Of course, I hope in future I will work on even more difficult problems, but this is pretty good already for me as a student!

PS

Jul 9, 2020

I think the course content and assignments were great. A suggestion though, it will be more helpful if there are more and varied corner cases that would save time spent in thinking and making cases.

776 - 800 of 814 Reviews for Data Structures

By 121910303051 V S T

Dec 8, 2020

Needed easier conceptual understanding considering an average student also please make the assignment questions more understanding rather than just submissions.

By Siva G

Apr 21, 2020

You should provide option to download failed test cases, then we can further develop our solution by solving edge case and improve our skills.

By Mayur A 1

Apr 25, 2020

Some of the lectures were not explained in a good way. Like the lectures on Amortized analysis were not much effective, according to me.

By Pradeep P

Apr 12, 2018

Course has a slow pace by the time it reaches hashing and the videos only reads out the formulas.

By YOUZHI S

Aug 12, 2020

The programming exercises are not friendly at all for learners new to python and algorithms.

By Akshay P

Jun 1, 2020

Learned most of the part easily... had difficulties in some part. overall good course.

By Yanqin C

Dec 28, 2021

The accent from the instructor makes the class very difficult to understand.

By Long C

Sep 17, 2021

S​taff support should be greatly improved. Now it is very insufficient.

By Irwan

Jul 20, 2020

Daniel kane is terrible lecturer, used lots of vague terms

By Anurag C

Jul 10, 2021

A great course but with a poor format of assignments

Jul 5, 2020

Mar 20, 2020

too hard

By Sri M S N

Nov 19, 2020

good

By HASAN N

Aug 10, 2020

good

By Abdulrahman A

Apr 4, 2017

none

By Mohit c

Oct 16, 2020

By Vivek N

Aug 18, 2016

Pros:

Effort has been taken in putting up the assignments.

Cons:

Quality of teaching is very poor and too fast to follow through . Instructors have rushed to present course material . I would not recommend this course . Princeton and Stanford offer much higher quality and presentation on the same topics.

By Jared P

Oct 25, 2016

Some of the assignments seemed overly complicated and irrelevant to the topics discussed. On a few occasions the videos would mention something but never discuss the reasoning. Once I posted to the forum and no one answered so I never asked about the other questions I found during the videos.

By Dhananjay S

Jul 5, 2020

The course is well designed and well taught too but, it has some limitations that the mentors and the faculties are not well interactive with the students as we as a student had to pass through various hardships to pass the programming assignment. The threads are not answered by mentors.

By Евгений С

Nov 23, 2020

I started this a couple of days ago and have been doing it hard as part of my specialization. I have only one quiz left and on November 23, a deadline suddenly came, despite the fact that I devoted a lot of time to the course and in fact completed it in two days. I have completely closed all 6 courses for specialization except for one quiz of 6 questions in week 4. Now someone has decided that the next set is only in half a year, seriously? All I need is to go through an automatic check of 6 questions without human control and get my cherished certificate. But it turns out that I wasted money? What is worth extending the course? I cannot wait that long and pay extra money. Could the moderators somehow influence this by informing people who can help?

By Noel

May 23, 2017

The coursework for this course is not bad. But unfortunately, I was unable to find any help on questions on their discussion forum by the teaching assistants and professors monitoring the course. The course material was based on deriving and proving standard proofs versus trying to explain the underlying concept. I do not believe that this course was worth my money. All the knowledge I obtained in this course could have been obtaining from Data Structures and Algorithms by Micheal Goodrich and Roberto Tamasia. There were occasional references to stackoverflow among the course resources which I feel is not professional (though a good source of information).

By Nick

May 15, 2017

Wow. I cannot express enough how terrible this specialization is. Only one of the professors speaks english! The lectures give trivial examples while the homework problems are unbelievably difficult. The starter files often times do not set us up to solve the problem in an optimal way. Homework problems cannot be solved when we are only give 1 hour of video lectures!

I will be taking my $$$ to edx.org

By Andrey S

Feb 25, 2018

For some assignments there is ONE tricky test that fails your solution and you are forced to blindly try to figure out this one tricky input(though your solution works for all of the tests you perform in addition to the one listed in the task). You end up spending lots of time trying to figure out this one test case instead of actually learning.

By Jonathan

Oct 12, 2016

Tree exercise had absolutely no relevant video material. Videos give zero context for why data structures are important or when they are used....Should take a lesson from the Stanford course.