Back to Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau by University of California, Davis

In this first course of this specialization, you will discover what data visualization is, and how we can use it to better see and understand data. Using Tableau, we’ll examine the fundamental concepts of data visualization and explore the Tableau interface, identifying and applying the various tools Tableau has to offer. By the end of the course you will be able to prepare and import data into Tableau and explain the relationship between data analytics and data visualization. This course is designed for the learner who has never used Tableau before, or who may need a refresher or want to explore Tableau in more depth. No prior technical or analytical background is required. The course will guide you through the steps necessary to create your first visualization from the beginning based on data context, setting the stage for you to advance to the next course in the Specialization....

DA
Aug 24, 2020

Am glad I learnt a lot from this module, which I know will sharpen my skills for my chosen career path as a data scientist. Am hoping to learn more new skills to improve on my already existing skills.

HR
May 1, 2017

Amazing course, amazing instructors and assignments. I really enjoyed working with Tableau.\n\nYou may experience some confusion for some assignments but don't worry! Just use the discussion boards :)

26 - 50 of 1,132 Reviews for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

By Ayush T

Mar 24, 2018

After completing the course I'm glad that I have utilized my time which I have put on this course. As this course is the first course of the specialization I'm happy with the pace as well as content. I come from the programming background, I missed programming here. This course is really good but according to me, it would be perfect if there were an optional section about how to code for a web data connector using python or nodeJS.

By Barbara S

Jan 30, 2019

I am so happy I took this course. It provided me with the Fundamentals, encouragement, and ability to practice viz's by watching how they did their own. The book that was assigned was inspirational. Our assignments were challenging and then I challenged myself in creating about eight visualizations.

I was even able to use an if then else sql to create my kpi. Thank you so much for this course.

Wtih gratitude,

Barbara Steinberg

By HM W

Dec 28, 2020

I had been "playing around" with Tableau for a while and decided I should take some formal classes on it. I am so glad I did. Even though this is just the first introductory class, I found some new tips that I might not have discovered.

I also loved the podcast episode that was part of the first week's curriculum. The UMD professor has a real passion for data visualization and it made me even more motivated.

By Ary S D D F

Jul 11, 2021

It is a very good course with only one major flaw. The course is centered in the Tableau Public platform. The issue is this platform is unstable and with noticeable latency with command processing. Tableau itself should allow the student (Coursera included) have a six months free use of the desktop version. They have something like but I never got the email replay (or any email from Tableau).

By Ireana U

I really enjoyed taking this course. Even though I was expecting getting more technical with Tableau and having more hands-on activities doing visualizations, I liked the approach of starting from the very basics of understanding what exactly needs to be visualized and why. I loved the who, what, and why framework as well as the breakdown for understanding the context of the data.

By BARBARA M - D S - v d R 1 - 3 T

Dec 13, 2019

The thing I really don't like, and not just about this course but the whole Coursera system, is the fact you that must asked to other students to correct your tasks and evaluate you.

In my opinion it is absolutely wrong, they, like me, are studing so they do not have the experience, as I do not have it, necessary to properly evaluate the work of others. Not yet at least.

By José A R N

Aug 27, 2017

My name is Jose Antonio. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this course to get new knowledge about Big Data and Visualisations and better understand the technology and your practical applications.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Instructors.

By YOGESH R K

Aug 15, 2020

The course structure for #Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau is quite sufficient enough for a beginner to start the journey towards data analytics world. I really appreciate the efforts put by the course trainer #Desiree' Abbott . I am really glad to be a part of it , as it is my first step towards the data science journey ,which I will cherish forever

Yogesh

By Robert T

Jul 15, 2020

A great course. This provides a comprehensive overview of Tableau in a clear and concise format! The videos and exercises were well-paced and challenging. Not only is the course great for learning about Tableau but it also teaches about the broader community of people that engage in producing visualizations from data and how to get involved and ACTIVE! Loved it.

By DanielliJ

Aug 21, 2020

I love Desiree's energy teaching style! She asked for opportunities to practice the skills right as you learn them. (I've taken other Coursera classes, and sometimes they throw too much info at you before giving you an opportunity to practice the skills.) She is fun, extremely knowledgeable, and a great teacher! I'd like to take other courses that she leads!

By Vedhasankaran H

Dec 26, 2020

Best way to get started on Vizualisation and Tableau software. The Instructor did an amazing job in explaining the concepts . the course is structured in an excellent way to keep the participants engaged and encourages to collaborate on social media and community forums to gain maximum advantage . Thanks to UCDAVIS university and Coursera

By Jacquewyn C

Apr 7, 2021

I really enjoyed the class - it went really quickly. The lessons were very clear in lecture and demonstration. I loved the energy of the instructor! Overall - I came to loving this area of data science even more! I am very happy to have discovered and pursued this course. Now - may I continue and carry on through the Specialization!

By Jose M P M

Aug 15, 2020

The course, Fundamentals of Visualizations with Tableau, was very interesting, practical and dynamic. I learned important concept and principles to make interesting and meaningful visualizations. It was great to know about the Viz communities in twitter. This will help me to get help and also increase my knowledge and skills.

By Marc V B

Course was very wonderful to learn and follow. Even for people who have not used Tableau before I was able to keep up and understand. One good thing is that the course does not over spoon feed you with information and encourages you to learn more by watching videos in the Tableau community. Highly recommended course.

By Gabrielle S

Mar 18, 2019

I was recently introduced to Tableau and felt that the learning curve was too high to undertake. I search for and found a classes that I could take to build up my confidence and abilities towards conquering Tableau. I would definitely recommend these courses to people interested in the exciting field of big data.

By Lisette G

This course was fantastic! Desiree' did an excellent job of explaining complex concepts and laying the groundwork for working with Tableau. The assignments were interesting, and there was significant interaction with other classmates. I highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn more about Tableau.

By Madhusudhan V

Sep 20, 2020

The course is very good and the content is not much elusive and can be grasped very easily. The peer review is not fair enough some of the peers do not understand the rubrics properly and will not grade accordingly , as a rest of that I felt a bit discouraged since I didn't get fair grades for my hardwork.

By Swati C

May 3, 2021

The content was fun and project-based. Most importantly, the instructor was very clear about why we were doing each step rather than blindly having us follow along -- I really appreciated that. This course got me very, very interested in Tableau, the MakeoverMonday DataViz projects, and DataViz in general.

By Henry W

Jun 15, 2020

Great Intro to Viz with Tableau. My only concern is having a bit more guidance on the assignments. After I submitted my last assignment, I noticed other class members had much more content. If I had known more about the format, I would have done the same. Anyway, looking forward to the next class!

By Victor S

Jun 8, 2019

Very important part of this course is the fundamentals of visualization in general. It's not often you'll find theory of the visualization. This course, on the contrary, provides very deep dive into fundamentals of visualizations and uses Tableau as of the instruments to create them! Great course!

By Nidhi S

Jan 2, 2021

Course was good but peer graded assessment was inaccurate. I met with all the criteria for MakeoverMonday project but a peer graded it wrong. The instructions were to shortern URL using bit.ly and I did that but it was graded inaccurately. So I did not receive complete credit.

By Seoktae L

Jul 24, 2019

Good course to understand the 'fundamentals' of visualization. More focused on 'how to think' rather than hands-on practices. There is a quick example at the start which gives you the taste but this would be applicable to those who are interested in 'How' to create visualization.

By Hadiza E

Feb 9, 2021

Desiree is great at explaining the process of things. Her knowledge and experience is similar to a lot of students taking the course; coming from another sector or field. The course is very informative and you get a lot of practice and resources to keep your self up to date.

By Avijit D

Nov 19, 2020

The contents were very well explained and I have picked up a lot of interesting information from this course. The Fundamentals of Visualization, getting acquainted with the tool and visualization best practices are some of the things which got to learn from this course.

By Kim G

Jun 8, 2021

G​reat course! Easy to understand. The instructor was very clear and gives relevant examples. The exercises are interesting. There were one or two times that I wished the instructor told us how she got to where she was verbally, but I was still able to follow along.