Back to Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau by University of California, Davis

In this first course of this specialization, you will discover what data visualization is, and how we can use it to better see and understand data. Using Tableau, we’ll examine the fundamental concepts of data visualization and explore the Tableau interface, identifying and applying the various tools Tableau has to offer. By the end of the course you will be able to prepare and import data into Tableau and explain the relationship between data analytics and data visualization. This course is designed for the learner who has never used Tableau before, or who may need a refresher or want to explore Tableau in more depth. No prior technical or analytical background is required. The course will guide you through the steps necessary to create your first visualization from the beginning based on data context, setting the stage for you to advance to the next course in the Specialization....

HR
May 1, 2017

Amazing course, amazing instructors and assignments. I really enjoyed working with Tableau.\n\nYou may experience some confusion for some assignments but don't worry! Just use the discussion boards :)

DA
Aug 24, 2020

Am glad I learnt a lot from this module, which I know will sharpen my skills for my chosen career path as a data scientist. Am hoping to learn more new skills to improve on my already existing skills.

1026 - 1050 of 1,204 Reviews for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

By Kimberly F

Sep 13, 2020

Very helpful in getting familiar with Tableau. Great tips from the instructor, and a very straightforward intro to what Tableau can do. Course materials were sometimes carelessly put together, though. References were made to things in the Resources tab that are not actually there. Many of the videos were poorly edited (one repeated a significant section of dialogue), and the written assignment instructions had missing information. For example, the final assignment must be submitted to Twitter with a specific course-related hashtag, but the hashtag was not provided, it was left blank. No big deal, except that the peer graded questions ask if the correct hashtag was used. Speaking of peer grading, it's pretty useless in this course and just asks whether the instructions were followed to the letter, no feedback at all on the actual vizzes. Who cares if the right hashtag was used if the viz makes no sense?

By JASINDER K

Sep 22, 2020

The structure and the material of the course were great.

Issues with the course.

1) How the grading is done- Reviewers are providing the points without providing any comments. For instance. if the reviewer has provided zero points to the assignment, there is no way for the student to know what needs to be corrected and there is no constructive feedback provided. This issue limits student ability to learn and grow. This has never been the case when the courseera started.

2) There is no way student can reach out to instructor.

I really like courseera but if this is not improved, then I might have to switch to another learning portal. I feel there is a room for improvement, how the grading is done, and how student can reach out to it's instructor.

Thanks.

By Nicole B

Sep 27, 2020

The instructor and the content were great, but there was zero support even when there are supposedly mechanisms to receive it. One of my peer reviewers basically trolled me and outright lied - for example, by saying I didn't use a data set from the official list provided by the instructor - things easily proven to be false assertions. I went through Coursera's "options" for resolution, and surprise! There aren't any for such a situation. I understand how many people take Coursera courses and why that limits the amount of help that can be given, but in that case, I suggest being upfront that there will be no assistance, so that students can decide whether to proceed based on honest information.

By Josh J

Aug 10, 2020

Overall, it's a good beginner course to understand the fundamentals of Tableau; I learned a couple of new things as a novice.

My only criticism is the use of third-party affiliations such as Google Sheets, bit.ly, and Twitter, and the fact that I had to create profiles on these sites. For one, my company makes applies security controls which made submitting the exercises way more tedious and the fact that I have to expose myself to more social media when I'm trying to limit my self from them. Apologies for the rant :/ but it seemed like we could have done with out these tools. Thanks.

By Jessica K

May 14, 2020

This class was informative and certainly covers the basics and principles of tableau and data visualizations, I was disappointed that there were no assignments that actually required us to make a visualization. Felt like I could have learned most of this online myself and not have to wait for other people to grade my homeworks/quizzes. would be much more engaging if we were given data sets to create 2-3 basic visualizations that were graded. I did this on my own but would have appreciated the peer review for that versus random MC Q&A

By Alexander B

Jun 18, 2019

A little too general and basic. The course could use more guided hands-on examples of creating visualizations with Tableau. Especially in the latter portion, it would be more helpful to actually apply the general principles of visualization to a specific example rather than just discuss them. The few hands-on exercises that are presented would benefit from more specific objectives (e.g., rather than just creating and saving "a visualization", specify a question for students to answer with that visualization.)

By George P

Nov 14, 2017

It was an overall good course but I give it an average rating because it had minimal content. In comparison there are other courses in coursera where there is much more work to do, as a chance to learn, much more content available and more interaction with the rest of the students. My best suggestion is to compress the material of this course to a single week to make more sense. This is very important to keep the quality of the coursera courses to a high level. Other than that it was a good experience

By Patrick H M R U

Jun 18, 2020

Everything was great about this course except the mandatory Twitter part. having to create a social media profile was a point of contention for me because I'm a private person and I had to take a separate class just to figure out how to use Twitter. if it is absolutely necessary then I recommend either that be mentioned up front so students can make an informed decision to enroll or not or that there be a general account on Twitter that every student can use.

By Mark A

Mar 13, 2018

Tableau is the tool that's used, but this course focuses primarily on the concepts needed to build visualizations. Very little direct application (i.e. opportunity to practice in Tableau). As it's advertised as a Tableau course (it's in the name), I would have preferred more hands on and course directed opportunity to apply lessons (vs. only being lectured on how to do it).

And the guest instructor is not an adept teacher.

By Dennis M

Jun 30, 2017

I felt the course was too basic and introductory. I think it would be better packed as an intro week to a more in depth data viz or Tableau courses instead of a stand alone course. For someone with absolutely zero knowledge of data viz or Tableau, I'm sure this course will be great, but from anyone with even a little knowledge, it's too simple. However, the instructors are engaging and the material is good for what it is.

By Adam K

Nov 6, 2016

Good for what it is: a rock-bottom basic introduction. I would have appreciated more technical instruction in how to create complex, involved visualizations and less philosophizing and design ethos. A better name might have been "What is Data Visualization? A Course In Tableau For Non-Professionals" or something like that.

By Foaad I

Feb 11, 2021

Peer grading assignments are a headache because some learners do not follow instructions and there is insufficient supervision from the teaching team. I asked questions in the forum about the recordings and how the instructor added additional features between two consecutive videos but no body responded.

By Oleksii D

Mar 20, 2019

Data visualization context was useful, as well as interview with Shneiderman and link to his book on user interfaces design, otherwise this would be a 2 star, as the rest of the videos could be used directly from Tableau site.

Do not recommend to anybody familiar with excel.

By Lydia D

Mar 20, 2018

Good introduction to data viz principles if you are new to that. There are more compelling introductions (i.e., Cole Nussbaumer, Stephanie Evergreen). I was anticipating more step by step walkthroughs of visualization in Tableau.

By Marcello B

Feb 24, 2019

I expected it to be more complete. Some ideas and the framing of the visual data analysis theme are interesting, but I expected to learn more in a 4-week course. The first peer-valuation task was simple but explained unclearly.

By Jae L

Nov 25, 2020

Goes into very basics of Tableau. I wish it had cover more technical features of Tableau. The course could include step-by-step sample report instructions which would show the students how certain Tableau features work.

By Svetlana L

Feb 14, 2017

No engagement from faculty, if you have questions regarding anything in the course, no one will answer them. Unclear and incomplete instructions for assignments. Overall, probably my worst experience with Coursera.

By Mike

Jun 2, 2020

None of the references reading materials are listed. No responses from course moderators in the Q&A section. Assignment in the third week was extremely unclear, as evidenced by the comments left by students.

By LeRoux T

Feb 12, 2018

A good introduction although a lot of "soft skill" development that I was familiar with and wanted to spend more time using the actual software. But good for building the foundation of visualizations.

By Gaurav k J

Mar 1, 2019

Mostly theory and seems somewhat repetitive. However the course is important with regards to presentation of visualisations.

Hoping to learn much more from the other courses in the specialisation.

By Jennifer C

Jan 24, 2018

Good introductury class into what Tableau is and how it works. However, the pace of the classes was a little bit slow, and the readings were somewhat dry and longer than the videos.

By Jayson J

Apr 26, 2019

Very repetitive, but gives some good basic concepts. Needs the course videos reviewed, as discuss that he will cover the Who, What and How, but then does not do it. Not terrible

By Peter H

Aug 15, 2021

The speaker was very hard to understand. In direct comparison to the next course it was strenous to follow her. The explanation what to should be more concise.

By Vivek G

May 10, 2019

I wish this course had more interactive exercises and had more tutorials about the different types of visualizations and when and where they are used.

By Alexandra R

Jun 13, 2019

While nice, it was super basic and there was little hands on experience. I audited this course. I would have been disappointed if I had payed for it.