Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

VS
Sep 22, 2020

This course syllabus is great. It starts wonderfully. Week 1 to 4 is taught by Paul Bendich, and Daniel Egger the instruction is awesome. Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills!

RS
May 5, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

126 - 150 of 1,798 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Alex A

Jun 13, 2020

I was looking for a math class to refresh my math skills in preparation for getting into the field of Data Science and I am very glad that I found this course. It was well taught and very clear. Thank you so much.

By Suparit S

Jul 19, 2020

The course provides comprehensive basic math skills for the ones who might have forgotten all the maths they have learnt. Highly recommended for ones who wants to restart the math skills with clear intuition!

By Yasir M

Jul 13, 2020

It was a good basic level course of math design by Duke University.I just say thanks to all of this course team and especially thanks to coursera for providing such a amazing opportunity to learn more skills.

By Hemali V

Sep 13, 2020

It is an amazing course for everyone who want to learn Maths. after learning this basic math skill, i am capable to perform basic algorithms for Machine Learning.

It is very helpful course for me, Thank you!

By Eloisa R

Jul 8, 2020

If you have previous background is easier, but in Baye's theorem it was a little hard to understand it. Overall, it is an excellent course, but a little more explanations in Baye's theorem could be better.

By Muhammad H

Jun 26, 2020

The course was really great. You could include some more offline practice questions with solutions for better practice at least 10 for each topic. Otherwise explanations were easy to understand and follow.

By Vidya S

Sep 23, 2020

By Weicheng(Will) H

Aug 12, 2020

For the part of Bayes' theorem, I think the explanation is no clear or through enough. Maybe more break-down is necessary. And the other parts are really good. I really enjoy taking this course.

By Abu I M S A

Oct 18, 2020

This is a great course, many things are basic but I have learned those a long day ago. Some explanations are from different perspective than conventional. However, definitely a great course.

By veer

Jul 21, 2020

A great foundation course for anybody whoose tryna find their feet in the excitng and vast world of data science,i learnt so many new things..it was truly an enriching experience.Thank you!!

By Altynay O

Jul 7, 2020

My first course on Data Science and was happy to share this experience with Duke University. The course was informational, very resourceful and hopefully beneficial for my future endeavors.

By Kensuke I

Apr 30, 2020

Good learning overall.

Some part are pretty easy, which I remember learning in junior high,

but some theorems are hard to apply.

Now I want to use these theory in real world and data science!

By Bayu W

Jul 9, 2020

I learned basic math of data science from based to Bayes' theorem. Lecturer explained material clearly and easy to understand. It helps me to start my journey in data science. Thank you.

By KESHA R

Jul 6, 2020

The instructors for this course have a very calm, awesome demeanor. They are very confident and efficient in their methodology overall. This course has reawakened my desire for learning.

By Alieldin R

Oct 14, 2019

The course was very good and well thought of, a great refresher for very important concepts, the instructors are very good at simplifying the material and making it very understandable.

By Syed A Z

Apr 27, 2020

An excellent course to learn, Thanks to to Instructor and Duke University and Thanks "Coursera" for this online platform for giving us the flexibility to learn as per learners comfort.

By Lymeng C

Mar 2, 2019

I don't quite understand the last chapter about probability. Please use more examples like in quiz to demonstrate the concept one by one. Thanks for making education free to all of us.

By James L M

Jun 1, 2020

This is really hard for me but this gives me a great deal lessons and guidance on what math lessons to learn for Data Science. The final week is very challenging. Thank you for this.

By Tiong S C

Nov 14, 2017

Great course. First three weeks are a bit basic, and the fourth week is more challenging. Highly recommended. Hope there will be more on derivatives and courses like this. Thank you!

By Shepherd M

At face value it looks like a very simple course but it is very challenging and extremely demanding course.I had to continously recap on the concepts by the lecturers.great indeed

By Shashank K

Oct 5, 2017

The Basics were covered pretty nicely. The instructors had given it their all to explain the concepts. The tests did test you pretty well on the concepts you learnt from the videos

By Andrew E T T

Sep 20, 2020

Make sure to polish up on every concept regarding probability from the beginning of the videos. That way you won't lose your way at the end. Everything else was simpler to follow.

By Jenny F

Sep 11, 2020

I wish I could learn more about data science since I really enjoyed this course. I have mathematics background because I'm an engineering graduate but this course taught me a lot!

By Shah M A R

Sep 16, 2020

I never take MOOC training before,but after taking this course, i was really impressed .Now i highly recommended this course to every one who wish to increase mathemetical skills

By Bernardo A M G

Jul 4, 2020

Estoy muy contento, porque el curso me ha permitido crear una adecuada ruta de aprendizaje de las habilidades matemáticas que se requieren en la ciencia de datos. Muchas gracias