Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

RS

May 06, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

VC

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! Thanks a lot! At the time of the study some of the quizzes content were not rendering correctly on mobile devices (both iPad and Android)

201 - 225 of 1,755 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Abhisek s

May 01, 2020

Course was designed in very lucid and effective manner. My only suggestion is to explain probability part in little slow and detail manner

By Enes S

Sep 03, 2020

At first, I thought there is no need for me to take this course but at the end it was very useful for me. Especially the statistics part.

By Megala j

Jun 05, 2020

Classes were beautifully structured. Only the final Bayes' theorem could have been more elaborate with more live examples. Need solutions

By vivek m

Feb 05, 2017

Basic math course help to get revise all the high school concept. Even those who haven't any background on mathematics can get it easily.

By Uzziel A P G

Jul 22, 2020

The lectures are well presented and the practice problems and graded quiz helped learners used the new knowledge learned in the lecture.

By 24_KAVERI S S

Jun 11, 2020

Very easy to learn.This course with good instructors ,increases my knowledge and at the same time it increases my data science interest.

By Marlena A P

Jan 12, 2020

Very well structured and really helpfull examples. The videos are really easy to see and not boring at all. I really enjoyed the course.

By Shigeki H

Dec 15, 2019

This course contains what you need to do your job more logically and would make your argument or opinion much reasonable and persuasive.

By Yojana S

Jan 31, 2019

I have got various knowledge from it. We have learn various lesson s of math. I am thankful for the professor who teaches us this things

By Kyle Y

May 01, 2017

I really enjoyed the course, and found it really useful- it has inspired me to continue on and study applied mathematics at university!

By Vivek P K

Jun 02, 2020

Great course which covers every statics topic necessary for Data Science. It helps me to recall what I have learned during my masters.

By Jeffrey G

Apr 10, 2020

Very challenging test at the last few chapters and it makes me think and think again which reinforces my understanding of each theory.

By Shreyas

Mar 28, 2019

A Basic Introduction to Function Graphs and Probability. To ace data science interview (Math part), I feel the content is not enough.

By MIROTHALI C

Jul 10, 2020

very descriptive and elaborate explanation of concepts. But using blackboard a lot is kind of old fashion. More animations is needed

By krish R

Jun 29, 2020

The course can be made more complex by adding more challenging questions and exploring each of the concepts in a bit more of detail.

By Roopa S H

May 22, 2020

first i want to tell thanks becouse giving me that great opportunites and i learn manny things and it will help me to grow my future

By Asif r m

Jun 07, 2020

Good n best ways of learning and also getting free certificate.i hope all the students will find it best and have learnt in detail.

By Priyankanayakini

Jul 08, 2020

Data science and math skills is a very good course. Very interesting to learn and given a good knowledge. Thank you Courseera.

By Dibyanshu S D

May 01, 2020

it was great and brainstorming session. In fact the probability session was a bit tough and tricky. Altogether a great experience.

By Md A R

Apr 08, 2020

Good course outline and instructors are also well qualified. Would be better if they suggested some additional reading materials.

By shruti b

Feb 01, 2019

I have learn many things from this course such as algebra, equations,and other math problems. It has given me many information .

By Kehinde O

Aug 24, 2017

This is a great course for anyone who has little or no experience with elementary algebra and for those who might have forgotten.

By Jonathan D M

Sep 14, 2020

The basics of math were explained in an easy to understand manner with relevant examples and extremely helpful course material.

By Ritima B

Feb 01, 2019

Really a great place to get a free education. I already complete a course and am looking forward to complete my second course.

By Luis B

Apr 21, 2020

Me ha servido pare recordar conceptos y empezar a aprender probabilidad. El curso está muy bien explicado.Me ha gustado mucho