Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

VC

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! Thanks a lot! At the time of the study some of the quizzes content were not rendering correctly on mobile devices (both iPad and Android)

AS

Jan 12, 2019

226 - 250 of 1,596 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Pham V T

Mar 30, 2017

very good knowledge for someone who want to call back prob theory in uni or get an introduction in mathematics problem

By Mr.K.Kumar

May 01, 2020

It is a wonderful courses. This course is very useful to my job. Thank you very much for given wonderful opportunity.

By Haithem M

Apr 15, 2020

Thanks to the professors, thanks to everyone responsible for the existence of Coursera, this course is simply great !

By MD. T R

May 01, 2020

The course is very much student friendly. It helped me to improve my math basics for preparing towards Data science.

By Wasinee

Apr 17, 2020

Thank you for giving free course. I learn a lot of things from this course and struggle with the last quiz so much😂

By Kelsey G

Feb 24, 2019

I loved the tag team between the two professors. I would love to learn more math and data science from both of them!

By Joy G

Nov 13, 2018

This course from course era has given me new opportunity to explore and has given me confidence in data science ,

By Tarun D

Apr 03, 2020

This was a phenomenal course outstanding and I learned very much and my thinking is changed towards data science.

By Mousumi C

Jun 18, 2020

If you want to learn about Data Science Math Skills, this is the best way to introduce yourself to those topics.

By Muhammad Z A

Jun 09, 2020

Best Math Course to Learn Basic Mathematics for Data Science and to have Grip on Data Science / Machine Learning

By Antonio V

A very good course that explains basic concepts of mathematics and probability that are useful for data science.

By Sandip K R

May 22, 2020

Practice quizzes are also good, especially the last one. I think it is harder than the graded quiz. Nice course!

By Jason A A F

Apr 24, 2020

I learned the main topics of maths to have more confidence in Data Science. I feel satisfied. Thank you so much!

By Samitha P R

Jul 29, 2020

Really helpful course. Recommend for anyone. Clear explanations. Appreciate the effort of both the professors

By C D

Aug 06, 2020

BEST EXPERIENCE EVER I GOT IN MATHS RELATED AND PROBABILITY THINGS WERE SUCH AN HIGH LEVEL I'M IN LOVE WITH IT

By Samuel M

Jul 28, 2020

Very Short, simple and Understandable. Complex concepts are broken own. Everything is Digestable!! Thanks!! :}

By Damodar

Jun 19, 2017

Thanks a lot for a wonderful course. Gave a quick overview of the basic Math skills required for Data Science.

By colinyuran

Jul 09, 2018

this course is very good, it helps me to recall my math logic which may be used in data analysis very quickly

By Sajjini V

Jun 06, 2020

The lectures were very precise and moves from easy to hard across the module. I highly recommend the course.

By Toan T L

Jun 26, 2018

Great course. Help me to refresh my knowledge on basic maths which is necessary for my following study plan.

By Victor H L D L

The course is great, the fourth week will test your probability concepts, so practice carefully and slowly.

By Pawan K Y

Apr 03, 2020

Instructor videos can be improved a lot by providing more examples.

The reading material should be improved.

By Vijay R

Nov 13, 2017

Very easy to understand explained clearly by the professors. Suited for anyone with 12th grade math skills.

By Andrey M

Jul 04, 2020

Thank you so much for present course. This course helped me refresh the probability knowledge in my brain.

By أحمد ع م ق

May 15, 2020

This course was great, but in the module of probability, there is a big gap between videos and questions .