Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

AS
Jan 11, 2019

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! Thanks a lot! At the time of the study some of the quizzes content were not rendering correctly on mobile devices (both iPad and Android)

RS
May 5, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

101 - 125 of 1,963 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Ankur A

Apr 18, 2018

Hi. A very good refresher course that serves as a pre-requisite to Machine Learning and Data Science courses. Probability could have been a little better explained, specially the processes and event part. I would also like to see Vectors and Matrices added to this course, which is equally vital for Data Science.

By Bernardino R

This course provided clear, expert teaching at a very good pace. The materials were very helpful & directly applicable. The videos were well portioned, and the professors are well spoken & highly competent. I highly recommend Coursera, these professors & this course. I plan on pursuing more in this subject.

By Preeti A

Jan 31, 2019

Learning this course I have gain many new and interesting skills. I am very much glad to get the knowledge from two professors and they gives me more knowledge on those interesting courses. I was able to do the answers of the given courses.And I THANKS them to give me such opportunity to do these courses.

By Armine

Apr 4, 2018

Everything was great except probability theory. The videos were hard to follow and understand because everything was a kind of mess. Reading materials would be much better for probability section. Overall it was very helpful for me and I am very grateful for this wonderful course!!!

By Iman S

Apr 16, 2020

The course is completely related to prerequisite data science skills. There are lots of useful materials. However, the last module (probability) is kind of introduction and superficial, and do not discuss probabilities concepts and distributions in depth.

In general, the course is Great

By Mahyar

Aug 22, 2017

Good course because it focuses on basic statistical science needed in Data Science. Only issue I had with this course was it was pretty short. Shorter than I thought by looking at the syllabus. Also the agenda is very simple in the first couple of weeks until it gets to the last week.

By Subhadip D

Jul 26, 2020

Would have been better if real-time tool were used such as PTC Math-cad or Mathworks Matlab then the Simulation based learning approach could have been much better. Well this course has vas potential and can be be released as series with capstone simulation project. I loved it though

By Rahul K

Apr 29, 2020

very nice, this course helps me a lot for a basic understanding of the different concept of math. The course is also design in very well manner for understanding each and every concept clearly.i also very thankful to the teacher association who created this course for helping me.

By Muhammed B K

Oct 5, 2020

Great course for starters. For first three weeks there can be some advanced examples as extras and for the last week, it would be better if several complex examples solved by instructors since Bayes and Conditional probability can be confusing sometimes. Thanks for the course.

By Rajat P T

Jul 20, 2020

The course explained all the basic mathematical concepts really well, especially Bayes' theorem and probability theory.The best thing that I liked about this course is that it also explained some simple real world test scenarios where these mathematical concepts can be used.

By Priti B

May 28, 2019

I came for this course after working on data science for sometime. While initial 2 weeks were easy and known, last 2 weeks were really helpful. My probability concepts become much clearer after going through the lecture and tests. Very precise and clear course. Thanks a lot!

By Adnaeva G S

Oct 15, 2020

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! Thanks a lot! Please include integration, algorithm analysis (big O, theta, omega), recursion and induction. Your course is helpful, thank you. If you add those things I've mentioned it would be absolute gold.

By James T

Apr 2, 2018

Everything I've tried diving into in regards to data science after having been out of school for a while (I'm 34) has been stuff I haven't learned or forgot. This course was perfect. Nothing was too difficult for someone who still remembers basic math and I learned a lot.

By Josué R G S M

Jan 3, 2018

Los contenidos son en inglés pero los profesores tienen una perfecta dicción y no hablan rápido de tal modo que los puedes entender perfectamente con sólo un poco de inglés. Los contenidos matemáticos están debidamente dosificados y muy interesantes. Recomiendo el curso

By Aditi D

Jun 15, 2020

Even though I have learnt quite a bit of math in college, my basics weren't very clear. This course helped me clear up my basic doubts which were causing problems. The instructors explain the concepts quite comprehensively using easy-to-understand real-world examples.

By Daryna S

Aug 14, 2017

This is a real good and inspirational start in data science education, especially for people, who have some fear of math (like me:)). This course is enough complicate to learn something new, but simultaneously not too hard, so you dont loose motivation for studying.

By Jeni S

Sep 17, 2020

The course is helpful both as a refresher and a introduction. It made me understood all the basic math skills behind the data science Field. Very good explanation of probability part and so on. I found the week 4 content quite challenging, but got there in the end!

By Isuru P

Dec 12, 2020

I learned all the necessary basic mathematical skills for Data Science through this course. Good explanation from the lecturers. I highly recommend this course for new and intermediate students who are learning Data Science to improve their mathematical knowledge.

By Matthew A D

May 4, 2020

I had a really easy time going through the first 3 weeks of the course, but then the 4 weeks were so hard. I got through it, but it was hard. The 1st-3rd weeks were just going through the same things I had learned again, but the 4th week was almost completely new.

By Richard B

Oct 9, 2017

I think this course helped me identify certain areas of weakness within my education that I have already received. As a result, I know where to start in order to shore up the gaps that formal education has solidified. Overall it is a great introductory course.

By Baijnath G

Dec 13, 2020

Cleared my concepts through this course .I had some basic knowledge regarding this modules so it was not hard for me to complete it.

The way tutors explained was commendable!!

I would love to suggest my fellow to enroll in this course to brush up their skills.

By Osama B A

Apr 9, 2020

Thank you, Coursera for this course for free. It was really helpful. It covers almost all the basic math term for Data Science. Looking now for intermediate level course of the same. Hopin that very soon, I will be gifted with a new free course. Thanks again.

By Amit T

May 4, 2020

Something good to learn and in fact the session are so precise to understand that you don't need anyone's help at all to learn thing. Just go through the video lectures. It's that simple. Thank you Coursera for this wonderful journey and amazing sessions.

By Jackie C

Apr 7, 2017

First three weeks were mostly review, but the fourth week was incredibly helpful. Would appreciate some more background/derivation of the binomial theorem - it was hard for me to develop an intuition for it in the same way I could for the Bayesian theorem.

By Val

Dec 4, 2017

Clear and straightforward introduction to the key mathematical concepts that underpin statistics and data science. Video companions and practice quizzes complement the lectures in an effective way and prepare the student well for the graded quizzes.