Back to Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter Tuning, Regularization and Optimization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter Tuning, Regularization and Optimization by DeepLearning.AI

In the second course of the Deep Learning Specialization, you will open the deep learning black box to understand the processes that drive performance and generate good results systematically. By the end, you will learn the best practices to train and develop test sets and analyze bias/variance for building deep learning applications; be able to use standard neural network techniques such as initialization, L2 and dropout regularization, hyperparameter tuning, batch normalization, and gradient checking; implement and apply a variety of optimization algorithms, such as mini-batch gradient descent, Momentum, RMSprop and Adam, and check for their convergence; and implement a neural network in TensorFlow. The Deep Learning Specialization is our foundational program that will help you understand the capabilities, challenges, and consequences of deep learning and prepare you to participate in the development of leading-edge AI technology. It provides a pathway for you to gain the knowledge and skills to apply machine learning to your work, level up your technical career, and take the definitive step in the world of AI....

NA
Jan 13, 2020

After completion of this course I know which values to look at if my ML model is not performing up to the task. It is a detailed but not too complicated course to understand the parameters used by ML.

AS
Apr 18, 2020

Very good course to give you deep insight about how to enhance your algorithm and neural network and improve its accuracy. Also teaches you Tensorflow. Highly recommend especially after the 1st course

101 - 125 of 6,598 Reviews for Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter Tuning, Regularization and Optimization

By Artem M

Apr 22, 2018

Found a lot of interesting details about NN that I did not know. This is a much better course than the first one. IncludesTensorflow exercises, which is useful. Nevertheless, proofs are still omitted for some results like initializations. It is not hard to google, but I bet lecturers could explain them much faster than diving into science literature. Otherwise, intuitional explanations of Adam using exponential smoothing, or physics analogy of momentum are just brilliant.

By Daniel C

Jan 13, 2018

True to the claimed learning objectives, the course Improving Deep Neural Networks shows some of the magic behind deep learning algorithms. The programming assignments solidify abstract concepts discussed in lecture videos. In fact, some portions like seeing cost decreases in real-time for Adam Optimization are truly eye-opening experiences.

One possible improvement is better editing of instructions and code comments of TensorFlow Tutorial Programming Assignment in Week 3.

By Alexander H S

Apr 7, 2021

Great course for an introduction for the topics discussed. Not having a math background, this finally allowed me to connect the dots between the techniques discussed in articles and the math behind them, as well as helped to demystify the all of the greek symbols thrown around. It would be nice to see the course upgrade the final assignment to use Tensorflow 2.x instead of the now deprecate 1.x, since Tensorflow has rearchitected the public surface of their public API.

By Pedro B M

Feb 4, 2019

As always Andrew Ng is very didactic explaining different and complex hyperparameter tuning techniques and optimizations algorithms, giving intuitive explanations and examples. I've been learning a lot in these courses! And more than that, the content is presented in such a way that motivates the student to go beyond and explore/try different implementations and problems to apply. I highly recommend the course for anyone who wants to become a serious ML practitioner!

By Johnathan T

Sep 1, 2017

This class was awesome! Thank you to Andew Ng and his team for putting this Specialization together. It is amazing for someone with so much experience in this field to be willing to share their wisdom with everyone, practically for free. The course content is filled with information that would have taken me years of to acquire. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to build a strong foundation in this field at a time when A.I. is becoming society's new electricity!

By Anton V

Jun 13, 2018

A very valuable course to improve your understanding and develop a better toolset in using NNs. The instructor gives great tips on how to approach problems and explains the latest techniques very well. Also features a nice introduction to TensorFlow. As an experienced programmer I found this course to be a breezy and fast hands-on tutorial to get you going quickly if you are doing these courses to apply for something you are interested in (e.g. personal project)

By AVADH P

Jan 7, 2020

Excellent course!! Really glad to have taken this course as a part of the Deep Learning specialization. This course gives a breakthrough in designing neural networks and deep networks using a thorough understanding of all the major aspects to be considered. The course also helps in learning current industry-wide used opensource frameworks such as TensorFlow. The assignments are well designed to make the step by step understanding and exercise of the learning.

By Yuri C

Jan 22, 2021

I must say, I found this course amazing. I have read and also had contact already with other presentations on the topic. But Andrew Ng did an amazing job preparing the material. It is both didactic and mathematically precise, when it is needed. As a mathematician, I was expecting a more "programmer-oriented" course and I was delighted to get both, the explanations precision of the mathematical formulation and the tips and tricks of DL practice. 10 out of 10.

By Matheus B

Sep 22, 2017

Um dos cursos que mais gostei até o momento. Desde que comecei a estudar deep learning vejo se falar de muitas técnicas que pareciam impossíveis de compreender e implementar, mas esse curso não só ensina como implementar algumas delas, como também ajuda a entender o motivo dessas técnicas serem tão boas para os modelos de redes neurais, dando uma boa intuição de como cada método funciona. Além disso, apresenta e ajuda a desmistificar o framework tensorflow.

By Joe M

Jul 14, 2019

This course was a great continuation of the first. The lecture pace is great (and ability to speed up or slow down the video speed helps a lot), the reiteration of past lessons helps with some of the denser materials, and the overall presentation is excellent. Also very nice that the problem sets aren't out to trick you! The material is new enough to many of us to begin with! The emphasis on practical application of the material is key (for me, at least).

By Nidhi V S

Apr 27, 2020

This course is very well designed and the instructor does an amazing job at explaining the concepts making it easy to learn, even for a novice in the field. This course helped me to get a greater understanding of Neural Networks. I learned how to enhance the performance of Neural Network by selecting appropriate hyperparameters, using regularization, using normalization and various other techniques. It was interesting to learn about the Softmax function.

By Ricardo S

Dec 17, 2017

The course covers an extremely important topic (I know I've been lost in hyperparameter maze before) , and allowed me to get a good feeling of what, when and how to use hyperparameters. I guess that to actually master the topic students will have to practice with their own models and data sets, therefore I think that getting actual practice on this topic would be out of the scope of the course, and thus I think the programming assignments were adequate.

By Holger O

May 23, 2019

Prof. Andrew did it again! I took the "classical" Machine Learning course and I'm pleased to see that this continuation was as good or even better. A total equilibrium between the mathematical depth you need to understand the basis of the algorithms and the practical skills you need to put them in practice in the real world, in the exact amount for them to fit in a 18-hour course. As a starting point, this course is perfect! Eager to keep on learning...

By David F

Sep 16, 2017

These courses are awesome. Andrew Ng is a very clear professor and the interviews with other ML practitioners are enlightening. My one criticism is that the assignments are put on a plate for you so they're pretty easy to complete but then difficult to replicate in real life (since so much of the scaffolding was taken care of for you while learning). But maybe that helps to preserve the flow of the class, rather than getting you bogged down in details.

By Sergio B S

Aug 1, 2018

I began using Deep Learning Frameworks before this course, but...

I realise now, after this second course and the first one, that learning the maths behind Neural Networks helps exponentially to understand and internalize what is the real use of some of the most important hyperparameters and the what's and why's of good strategies to regularize models. As A.Ng repeat sometimes, this specialization help me "To get the intuition" to improve the models.

By Amit K

Dec 4, 2018

This is good course for the student, who want to do real stuff with NN. Some of the tricks are well explained like L2,dropout, adam, momentum, minibatches etc. I think these are much needed tricks if i need to implement and tune my own NN on my own problems. I prefer to have a second level of such course which really talks about challenges in real life NN and how to solve those. Once again thanks alot for the entire Team for pulling this together.

By Eleanna S

Mar 4, 2018

Very useful course. Gives great insight on the hyper parameter tuning, regularisation and optimisation. One request I have is to provide a docker image which we can use to run the exercises locally. Sometimes I found it hard to build the environment where I can run the coursework. Some of the installations are clashing and it is not clear what versions of libraries are used in the coursework environment. It sometimes requires unnecessary effort.

By Hugo v d B

Sep 26, 2017

In the second course of the Deep Learning specialization Andrew gets deeper into the different subjects of Neural Networks. Again he does a great job in explaining both the math and the way you can improve the outcoming of deep neural networks. The quizzes and assignments where helpful and not difficult at all. He also shows some good frameworks to work with and gives a nice introduction to Tensorflow. I'm looking forward to start with course 3.

By Parab N S

Aug 25, 2019

Excellent course demonstrating the ways to improve the accuracy of the deep neural networks. It had been the case with me that I could create an initial model easily, but getting an expected level of accuracy was difficult. This course has made it much easier for me to improve th performance of my deep learning models within a short span of time. I would like to thank Professor Andrew N.G. and his team for developing such a wonderful course.

By Xizewen H

Oct 5, 2017

This course is where the specialization really distinguish itself from Udacity's deep learning nano degree program -- the model fine-tuning part is very important and there are lots of details can be talked about, but Udacity somehow avoided going into details for it. After taking the Udacity's course first, I feel this course really helped me refreshed some knowledge I learnt as well as teach me much more. Definitely recommend this course!

By Ivanovitch S

Feb 28, 2020

This course is a bit more hard than the first one. I recommend using paper & pencil in order to reproduce all the equations. I gave five stars because the all material is very well described, however, the last part of week 3 must be improved, mainly that related to the practice assignment. There is no link between the Batch Norm and hyperparameter tuning with to practice assignment. Additionally, TensorFlow 2.0 should be introduced too.

By Ayush K J

Feb 10, 2018

I will recommend this course to beginners in deep learning. As this course has helped me learn about following topics.

Bias/Variance tradeoff, Different types of regularization methods, Code optimization techniques to speed up learning weights, Different types of weight optimization algorithms , About Hyper parameter tuning, Method for normalizing activation as batch norm, About Multi class classification and An introduction to Tensorflow

By Marcio R

Nov 15, 2018

Excellent course overall. The explanations given are very intuitive even for complex concepts. The teacher always made sure to ease out any concern that might appear if the topic being discussed is not fully grasped yet. I believe that this is a very important step given that MOOC courses should be open for every one, every person has a different learning rate. I highly recommend this for anyone looking to delve deeper into NN and DL.

By Arun S

Apr 13, 2019

This course helped me to understand the practical aspect of NN. Tuning of Hyper parameters, Regularization , Algos like ADAM are important for fast and accurate training. I hope i could make use of information in future. However this course gives very little introduction to tensorflow and somewhat doesn't satisfies students i believe. Prof. Andrew Ng gives a fantastic lectures covering all important aspects in details with patience.

By Teyim, M P

Jan 1, 2018

Though the course was mostly theoretical in content, I believe it taught some of the most important concepts in any machine learning undertaking - making the system achieve higher accuracies. Although I found the course content too compact and things kinda move really fast, I think going through the videos a second time even at a 2x speed would make it all stick. In all, it was a tremendous course. I love Andrew Ng's teaching style.