Back to The Language of Design: Form and Meaning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Language of Design: Form and Meaning by California Institute of the Arts

In this course, critique is defined as a detailed, objective analysis of a work of graphic design and its effectiveness. Critique is an integral part of the making process for designers: it’s not just how we determine if a work of design is or is not successful, it’s how we move our work forward. Critique is also where other voices and opinions can be brought into the design process. This course will introduce a lexicon (or vocabulary) in order for you to demonstrate clearer and more considered ways of talking about graphic design in the context of critique. Through this lexicon and a provided Critique Framework, we will model and then practice objectively describing how well a work of design functions based on specific, clearly articulated criteria. By refining this skill, you will enhance your ability to communicate about design with peers, colleagues, and clients. This course is essential to anyone looking to develop and refine a critical vocabulary around talking about art and design, such as: - practicing graphic designers at all levels - future and current students of art or design programs - teachers teaching visual art, design, or related subjects - any stakeholder in a design project that needs to communicate effectively with designers on their team. This course is recommended to learners enrolled in either the Graphic Design Specialization or UI/UX Design Specialization on Coursera to further develop their skills in graphic design. You may take this course before, during, or after completing either Specialization. Note this is not an art appreciation course for a general audience. While no prior experience is required to begin, the knowledge and skills taught in this course is useful only if you have some relationship to design in a professional context, i.e., practicing, studying, or teaching design, or working directly with designers. No specific software or tools are required to complete this course....

SV
Aug 25, 2020

Besides trying to find some form and meaning in a design of art, the course also teaches to make meaningful connections when you form and express your own thoughts.

JW
Jul 5, 2020

Short course that gives a good introduction to analyzing design elements. This will give you the framework and vocabulary to clearly convey points in your analysis,

126 - 146 of 146 Reviews for The Language of Design: Form and Meaning

By Ana B A S

Jun 7, 2020

This course is great to learn the fundamentals of design's language. It's general enough to learn how to evaluate design and easy to follow.

By Patrick O

May 4, 2020

Bit more theoretical than I thought. I expected more insight on design patterns but still, it was enjoyable and illuminating nonetheless.

By yegrett

Jul 5, 2020

I had a wonderful experience while doing this course. got to learn visual designing ideas.

By Vijaya B

Jun 23, 2020

excellent course,thanks,it help me a lot to improve my communication design work!!

By Abrar P

Apr 27, 2020

It's not a starter course. But helped me a lot in understanding Design language.

By Simran

Jul 11, 2020

It's good to have this course it will help you learn design in a better way

By Mahmoud A

May 3, 2020

I gained a lot of experience in this training

so, Thank you very much

By Mariam I

Aug 6, 2020

Interesting course. definitely not for the beginners.

By Vaidehi

Jul 1, 2020

i enjoyed doing the course. it very interesting.

By Loveleen G

May 7, 2020

good. it will really help me in future

By Vaibhavi_ A

Nov 17, 2020

its awasum

By Lyndsaye R R

Feb 16, 2021

For an entry level course that welcomes beginning designers and non-designers, I feel the examples shown and pieces for critique were difficult for even experienced designers. While I'm glad I took the course to make sure I didn't miss any valuable design information, I was a little disappointed. It says in the course description how this course will help during the design process, but I honestly don't feel that was covered. Because the one instructor at times seemed to be mumbling, the text sometimes did not make sense and it was difficult to take notes.

By SONDOS A S

Jun 8, 2021

the course was very useful and informative, also the teachers were very clear, however the examples given to us were all posters so it would be lovely if the final exam was the same because it was all about rebranding and visual identity, or at least if we had some example about the same subject so that we avoid the confusing.

By Seoyun L

Sep 7, 2020

The information was useful but the presentation was quite 'read' - you could literally see the instructors reading off a prompter of sorts. This made it difficult to concentrate and not that engaging.

By Ella G

May 9, 2020

Tries so hard to be objective in the very subjective topic of design. Videos are often unbearable to watch.

By Kaylyn

Jun 5, 2020

It simply was not what I was looking for, and it might be what someone else is looking for.

By Henry Z

Aug 25, 2020

I can tell the teachers are experts in their field.

But the material, the way the content is given, is void. This is two persons reading a text, there is no material here for future quick references or something. It is boring, and slow.

You are better off reading yourself than listening to them.

By HYDER A K G

Jun 21, 2020

simple and clean easy and quick shoud be there

By Dikshita k J

Jul 28, 2020

I didn't find the course interesting and i was soon bored by the videos. It didn't seem to keep me attentive and even the syllabus is quite great.

By Tori J

Apr 29, 2020

The changes to the user interface have made this course very difficult to navigate.