Back to Differential Equations for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Differential Equations for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course is about differential equations and covers material that all engineers should know. Both basic theory and applications are taught. In the first five weeks we will learn about ordinary differential equations, and in the final week, partial differential equations. The course is composed of 56 short lecture videos, with a few simple problems to solve following each lecture. And after each substantial topic, there is a short practice quiz. Solutions to the problems and practice quizzes can be found in instructor-provided lecture notes. There are a total of six weeks in the course, and at the end of each week there is an assessed quiz. Lecture notes can be downloaded from http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/differential-equations-for-engineers.pdf...

YY
Aug 5, 2020

The course materials are well prepared and organised. The teaching style is approachable and clear. I have learned a lot from this course. Thank you so much, and wish you all the best Prof. Chasnov!

AA
Feb 6, 2020

Very good course if you want to start using differential equations without any rigorous details. Thanks to professor`s explanation everything is very clear. Good basis to continue to dive deeper.

26 - 50 of 376 Reviews for Differential Equations for Engineers

By Emile v M

Nov 1, 2020

This is a thorough course on ODE's and an intro to PDE's. Professor Chasnov explains this very well with just the right amount of information. The practice questions prepare you well for the assessment quizzes. The accompanying PDF is an excellent review of the whole course. This comes in handy when you want to review something from a while ago. I enjoyed it a lot and I am looking forward to a new course from Professor Chasnov.

By Chintan S

Dec 23, 2019

Brilliant course with sufficient problems to practice and learn and very well explained concepts throughout. Especially liked (1) the illustrations in the physical world to show differential equations in action (2) Well organized lecture notes to refer and learn from (3) Professor Chasnov summarizing each lecture video at the end.

Professor Jeff. Chasnov, please make a subsequent course on partial differential equations.

By Sebastian R

Dec 8, 2019

Definitly one of the best courses I've taken so far. The large number of problems was really helping in understanding the material more deeply. After each newly introduced topic there is a short problem to solve, by which one can test his understandig of the topic. Also there are plenty of applications to real world problems and how to model these, by which the Diff Eq. topic is further motivated.

By Debrup S

May 5, 2020

After the completion of this course, my confidence in dealing with differential equations is increase by a lot of steps. Prof. Chasnov has made has made it simple and interesting.

I am feeling really empowered after the completion of this course as an undergraduate student in mechanical engineering. I would recommend this course to everyone who want to have a strong grasp of ODEs and PDEs.

By Andrew D

Really enjoyed this course. Jeff's a very clear presenter and the explanations are great. Unlike some other courses, I haven't needed to do so much reading around (although I plan to do some afterwards - Strang's DEs and linear algebra book for a start - I'm doing all this for fun). I'm now signed up Jeff's vector calculus course - really looking forward to this one too.

By Diogo A

Jul 6, 2020

This course gives a pretty good overview of the topics and is very complete. I liked the physical examples motivating the study, and the videos are well interspersed with examples and DIY exercises. I would like to recommend that a few more videos with examples on solving equations, particularly on the topic of Fourier Series, which is very interesting.

By Manjunatha B J

I am very happy to learnt the course its very beautiful course anybody can understand easily with little bit knowledge of differentiation and integration concept. this type of course help us to gain new knowledge about application in view of engineering course. Thank you very much for giving this course to us and very happy to join few more course.

By PANIDAPU H C

May 4, 2020

THIS COURSE IS AMAZING. I HAVE ENJOYED A LOT DURING THIS COURSE.IT'S IN A WAY SUCH THAT THE COURSE IS IN AN UNDERSTANDABLE MANNER.THIS COURSE IS VERY HELPFUL TO ME.I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE COURSERA TEAM FOR PROVIDING SUCH A BEAUTIFUL COURSE.FINALLY I WOULD LIKE TO THANK PROFESSOR JEFFREY R.CHASNOV FOR THE EXCELLENT TEACHING.THANKYOU VERY MUCH SIR

By Drew K

Oct 28, 2019

Covered a large amount of information. Definitely took a couple extra weeks due to how much free time I had around family and work, but overall helpful. Would like to see the final week maybe split into two weeks for greater detail. I felt like some of the material had to be rushed due to time constraints.

By Hiren N B

Jun 29, 2020

It was an amazing experience to relearn this course as I have already taught this course but using this online course surely I can teach this topic in a more proper and effective way. I would like to thank The course Instructor. Eager to join the your other available courses also on this platform.........

By Oren L

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent introductory course. I've been using Prof. Chasnov's courses to review and fill in some gaps in my knowledge for work. The pace of the lectures is perfect for detailed note taking, and the volume and careful selection of practice problems is just right for my purposes. This guy deserves a medal.

By Khandaker M A

Sep 10, 2020

The best course I have ever found. I have given 5 stars to a lot of other courses but this course is definitely the best & I mean it. This course taught all the theories & applications of differential equations in a way that I found it to be unique. Thanks a lot to you, Professor

By Michael A D

May 12, 2020

Chapters 1 thru 5 came in load an clear; Chapter 6 with the diffusion example just gave me problems. The course is good, but it does require you to do additional research to fine tune the understanding of the concept being taught. I learned an awful lot and enjoyed it.

By Salim M

Aug 2, 2020

This course is valuable for engineering students. Saying so, if you are a mathematics lover, do join this course as you will be expanding your knowledge. The lectures and reading materials are very helpful. I enjoyed being a part of this course. Thank you.

By Derek E

Oct 3, 2019

This is an excellent overview of the subject. Although I wish there was more coverage of partial differential equations, I understand the limitations of a four week course, and feel that Prof. Chasnov did an excellent job of covering the important topics.

By Dat V N

Aug 9, 2019

The professor explains everything in great details in a calm manner. After each video there is a small but not trivial exercise which I found very useful in consolidating the concept. Highly recommend for anyone who want to study Differential Equations.

By Cazaubieilh G

Exceptional work. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to anyone starting differential equations. It will allows you to have a broad view of topics, before delving further into some of particular interest with other course (if you elect to).

By Yalamanchili s

Jun 4, 2020

Excellent teaching material and way of presentation good thought provoking quiz and assignments well determined course a good way of learning environment available glad to see that this kind of courses are evolved from Hong Kong university

By Lars O

Aug 9, 2020

Excellent course. Excellent teacher. Well balanced. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in this subject. I took Diff. E.Q. as an undergrad in 1974. Glad to see nothing has changed much in the past 46 years ... or make that 349 years.

By S Y

Jul 12, 2020

Amazing Course. Every aspect of the differential equation has been explained thoroughly with an ample amount of practice and examples. The key outcome was to learn modeling physical problem as a differential equation and solving it

By Deepanjali T

Oct 9, 2020

This course is very important and useful for everyone. I learnt many things from this course. Doing this course greatly Doing this course greatly increased my knowledge. Thank you. My thanks to all the coursera team members.

By Joachim Ö

Apr 25, 2020

Well balanced between video lectures and quizzes. The videos are very pedagogical and the right length to digest. A good reading material is provided as well, but the solutions to quizzed could be slightly more detailed.

By Kristian V

Oct 5, 2020

Very good course! I tottaly recomend it to anyone who is going to make up with chemistry, physics and other sciences. Thank you Jeff, you made a lot things that I studied in my physics classes clearer to me!

By YJ