Back to Disaster Preparedness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Disaster Preparedness by University of Pittsburgh

Have you ever viewed a news report depicting the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster? The damage to human life and property are both staggering and heartbreaking. All parts of the world face the possibility of floods, hurricanes, tornados, fires, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural phenomena. Are you prepared if disaster would strike you? This course will help you prepare! The course is appropriate for any learner who is proactive about developing the core competencies of disaster readiness and survival planning. It is especially useful if you are seeking techniques that can ensure your personal protection, as well as the safety of your family, property, and belongings, during a natural disaster. In addition, it offers essential preparation for a variety of emergency situations and inconveniences, even if you do not live in major tornado, flood, hurricane, tsunami, or earthquake zone. For instance, could you and your loved ones manage without access to potable water, electricity, fuel, and banking facilities? If you are unsure of your ability to respond in any of these possible scenarios, this course is for you! Throughout the course, you will be introduced to the Disaster Cycle, specifically the Mitigation and Recovery phases, and will create an extensive personal preparedness plan for survival in the absence of common amenities, such as food and water, shelter, and communication. You will also acquire practical, easy-to-apply strategies for maintaining a healthy attitude during disaster which can allow you to remain calm, avoid panic, and draw upon inner and outer resources in dire circumstances. Although death may be an inevitable outcome of extreme circumstances, a balanced outlook can provide comfort for all parties involved. Finally, issues of how institutions and governments can aid in disaster are also discussed. If you are interested in this topic you may be interested in other online programs at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing. Learn more about those programs by visiting our website: http://www.online.pitt.edu/programs/school-of-nursing/...

CH
Jan 30, 2017

Really great course that's paced well. I believe this is a course everyone should and CAN take! These things are important to know especially if you live in an area where disasters are prone.

JL
Oct 7, 2020

grateful to have this kind of Course in here while having sponsor. Most important course because it teaches the basic surviving skills and safety during disaster. likewise, Safety First!

51 - 75 of 331 Reviews for Disaster Preparedness

By Alfredo P

Dec 20, 2016

Very good course that gives you the basic information about preparedness.

It would be very interesting to know how to take a practical course in disaster preparedness and survival techniques

By John R E L

Oct 8, 2020

By Sehresh M

Jul 6, 2020

Excellent course, logically put together and well presented. It raises multiple issues, some of which we were aware of but had not addressed and others which we had not even considered.

By Tatiana M

very practical in developing your personal preparedness plan, awareness and knowledge of what to do and expect when disasters strike. Excellent pace, thorough and very good resources.

By Alan C R

Dec 6, 2019

Exceptional class, very organized by the Professor and beneficial to those of us in the healthcare space AND for anyone interested in being prepared for local or regional disasters.

By Brett P

Apr 28, 2020

Excellent course for disaster preparedness! I learnt a lot about how to prepare and also what to expect in a disaster. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to be more prepared.

By S R M B

Jul 10, 2020

Really great . I learned a lot . Thankyou very much . I also enjoy the course that i enroll. I keep this knowledge to be prepared to all the situation that facing . Thankyou

By Adebisi A M

Apr 24, 2020

A very helpful course. It will get you prepared for disaster or any emergency situation. I particularly gained so much from topic on attitude and composure during emergency.

By Jim C

Sep 3, 2015

Very insightful course. The peer-reviewed plan was also incredibly useful, both in the exercise itself and seeing the risks (and mitigation plans) by others. Outstanding!

By Jatu F N

Sep 8, 2020

The course is very enlightening! Learns a lot about surviving, how to respond during a disaster, what to prepare, and how the government should prepare a mitigation plan.

By Ritik C

It is one of the best courses on Coursera.

Michael Beach is a great mentor and he gives the knowledge about Disaster Preparedness in a very easy and demonstrative manner.

By Jerome D

Nov 6, 2020

Very good educational program, covered wide aspects of survival, very thorough discussion. Very informational while being entertaining. I enjoyed the course very much.

By Pamela W

Aug 14, 2015

I loved this course and all the interesting speakers. I learned a great deal and how much I am unprepared for a disaster, I had no idea. Well worth every minute.

By Cheron C

May 3, 2020

I was very happy with the overall course however the knife portion was a little long and didn’t find useful. Hope you would offer a course a large bachelor degree.

By Ichsan N

Apr 22, 2020

By taking this course, I can share my knowledge with the emergency response community and all parents at my child's school about how we should respond to disasters.

By Rajeev C

Feb 2, 2016

Superb course material and presentation by Prof Michael is simply awesome. Thank you so much for providing me an opportunity to learn through this awesome platform.

By Christian G G J

Jul 9, 2020

Excelente curso, ya ha pasado un mes y no me he dado cuenta, muy entretenido y util, de como actuar es situaciones de desastres, 100% recomendado., muy buen curso

By Erwin Y A E

May 6, 2020

The course was very helpful, I learned a lot thing things that I can use for my family ang community, learning with University of Pittsburg is fun and enjoyable.

By Razvan V T

Jul 27, 2020

I am grateful for this opportunity. Thank you so much, Prof Michael Beach and Coursera. I need to study more. It's been a great and enriching experience surely.

By Rachelle L

Very useful information that anyone should consider taking!

Thank you, I really enjoyed both the preparedness for Disaster and survival components of the course.

By ASHUTOSH T

Mar 16, 2018

A course offering multiple insights in to family Disaster Preparedness.This course will be extremely helpful in surviving any Disaster situation successfully.

By Vetukuri j n b

Sep 3, 2020

This course is very useful for each and every person. Not only the students graduates.. Etc it is help full to each and every person. Very use full course.

By Roman V

Jun 5, 2020

This course can be very useful for all people on the Earth, I have gained a lot for being prepared for the a disaster on one hand as for our regular life.

By Lita L

Oct 23, 2017

Great course. Everyone should be required to take this. There are disasters just waiting to happen in all parts of the country and the world. Be Prepared!

By Agapito D V C J

Jun 3, 2020

Thank you very much for this course!

I really appreciated this.

Thank you for all the efforts!

Truly, it is an awesome course.

I've learned a lot!