Back to Disaster Preparedness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Disaster Preparedness by University of Pittsburgh

Have you ever viewed a news report depicting the aftermath of a devastating natural disaster? The damage to human life and property are both staggering and heartbreaking. All parts of the world face the possibility of floods, hurricanes, tornados, fires, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural phenomena. Are you prepared if disaster would strike you? This course will help you prepare! The course is appropriate for any learner who is proactive about developing the core competencies of disaster readiness and survival planning. It is especially useful if you are seeking techniques that can ensure your personal protection, as well as the safety of your family, property, and belongings, during a natural disaster. In addition, it offers essential preparation for a variety of emergency situations and inconveniences, even if you do not live in major tornado, flood, hurricane, tsunami, or earthquake zone. For instance, could you and your loved ones manage without access to potable water, electricity, fuel, and banking facilities? If you are unsure of your ability to respond in any of these possible scenarios, this course is for you! Throughout the course, you will be introduced to the Disaster Cycle, specifically the Mitigation and Recovery phases, and will create an extensive personal preparedness plan for survival in the absence of common amenities, such as food and water, shelter, and communication. You will also acquire practical, easy-to-apply strategies for maintaining a healthy attitude during disaster which can allow you to remain calm, avoid panic, and draw upon inner and outer resources in dire circumstances. Although death may be an inevitable outcome of extreme circumstances, a balanced outlook can provide comfort for all parties involved. Finally, issues of how institutions and governments can aid in disaster are also discussed. If you are interested in this topic you may be interested in other online programs at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing. Learn more about those programs by visiting our website: http://www.online.pitt.edu/programs/school-of-nursing/...

CH
Jan 30, 2017

Really great course that's paced well. I believe this is a course everyone should and CAN take! These things are important to know especially if you live in an area where disasters are prone.

JL
Oct 7, 2020

grateful to have this kind of Course in here while having sponsor. Most important course because it teaches the basic surviving skills and safety during disaster. likewise, Safety First!

101 - 125 of 331 Reviews for Disaster Preparedness

By Kamal S

Apr 5, 2019

i learn a lot of things from this course this course will definetly help me in my future for better opportunity

By 121710101022 N I S R

Oct 18, 2020

its so informative, a very easy course for beginners and lot to know how to act accordingly during disasters

By RIYA D S

Aug 9, 2020

Great course. Everyone should learn how to survive in a disaster and this course is totally dedicated to that.

By Myra Y A

Mar 1, 2020

The course is very helpful to me not only because of my line of work but also personally in the real world.

By Sofie A R

Jun 17, 2020

got a lot of useful information to be prepared for the disaster that we never aware/know before, thank you

By Stefano M

Jul 15, 2016

lessons are very clear and rich of links to external material, and instructor is communicating effectively

By Wristly J A

Jun 1, 2020

Very informative and engaging course. Practical and tailor-fitted to this time when disasters are common.

By Joyce C

Oct 13, 2020

An excellent course on preparing for a disaster at a beginner level and for more advanced personnel.

By Keith K

Aug 9, 2020

Excellent course, teaches disaster preparedness , after disaster response / survival, and recovery.

By Vijayan M

May 4, 2020

Very Informational course in Disaster Preparedness for our Family, Organizational and International.

By My I

Sep 10, 2015

I'm really enjoying this class on Disaster Preparedness with Mike Beach. Mike is a great instructor!

By OLASOMISOYE H

Apr 17, 2020

This course offered me so much. Added to my knowledge bank is the START skill. I am so delighted.

By N K A

Oct 18, 2020

It was an excellent course which is of great help to me in my academics and personal life alike.

By Maria S D P

The course is really informative and a great reminder of what to do before and during disasters.

By JULIA

Feb 19, 2016

This class is amazing, informative and full of useful information. Highly recommend this class.

By Aayush K

Apr 27, 2020

A very basic and informative course which helps you to do what's best in a disaster! SURVIVE!

By DOMONICK F J

Very detailed course and very useful for preparing for disasters, not matter where you live.

By K M A I

Jun 23, 2020

Amazing course, Learned all the basics of personal/family preparedness in case of Disaster.

By Syed N A

Mar 23, 2017

Great course, really useful for people who want to pursue a carrier in disaster management.

By Madina K

Dec 19, 2016

I really liked it. Thank you teacher. It was very interesting to listen to and make a plan.

By Dr A A

Nov 22, 2016

Well described course and it helps me to improve my understanding on disaster preparedness.

By Shashank S

One of the most needed courses to everyone there. I have taken this course with my family.

By casey m

Apr 27, 2020

I learned so much from this class. I feel better prepared to handle emergency situations.

By Sean b

Aug 27, 2015

I wish there were more majors at the university level with this specific topic of study.

By Ranjit K R

The course was sooooo good and the teachers were so great!

Thankyou