Back to Dog Emotion and Cognition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dog Emotion and Cognition by Duke University

Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends....

LT

Aug 04, 2019

Great course with a lot of new information, not just about dogs but even domestication of other species, including humans. The predictability of aggression in humans would be an interesting next topic

BR

Sep 24, 2017

Muy interesante, un curso lleno de teorías y explicaciones en torno al concepto de cognición, un concepto complejo. Recomendado para aquellos que les interesa el tema de la mente humana y canina.

1 - 25 of 733 Reviews for Dog Emotion and Cognition

By Tania R Á

May 24, 2019

I can not describe how much I enjoyed and learned in this course, Dr. Hare makes the course very interesting, all the resources show us how we evolved and the understanding that our best friends developed with us. I appreciate the digestible content.

By Ellie W

Apr 05, 2019

Fascinating material! I greatly enjoyed Dr. Hare's presentations and learning not only more about dogs but also cognitive processes across multiple species. I highly recommend investing in the optional reading material, "The Genius of Dogs" book. This course was my first Coursera experience, and it has inspired me to check out more courses. Thank you!

By Shirley F R

May 31, 2019

Fue un curso ¡increíble, muy sustancioso, todo un regalo! Cada lección, cada experimento, completamente todo; me impactó. Y por supuesto; me declaro aún más enamorada de los perros, de su inteligencia en sus diferentes formas, de su compañía y de su bondad. Muchísimas gracias por la oportunidad de aprender tantas cosas maravillosas...

By Jeru J

Jun 01, 2019

This course is essential for a dog owner, business, trainer or even if you are just a person who has an interest in dogs! Concise yet packed with information. Thank you

By Divinia j

Apr 30, 2019

I really loved the course.I learnt a lot of new things about my dog.The videos were short and sweet which is why it was easy to understand.

By Вера Б

Jun 02, 2019

Очень понравился курс. Узнала много интересного. Очень поможет в дальнейшем изучении психологии собак.

By Julian L V O

May 23, 2019

The author was quite talented in communicating the concepts contained therein. I learned a lot

By Donna C

May 29, 2019

This course was a good course to take on dog cognition and how smart your dog is.

By Stephanie I

Jun 11, 2019

Great course and practically applicable.

By Dorothy H

Feb 06, 2016

The three stars are because the parts actually giving information had value and I learned some interesting things. The 2 stars were removed because of the truly obnoxious plugging of the prof's own book and research project. He goes on and on about how fantastic it is how we can all participate in scientific research, but if I am SUPPLYING DATA, why do I have to pay for that privilege!? If it were really about the research he would want my data whether I paid for it or not. The course felt mostly like one big plug to make money. To make this course worthwhile you have fast forward a lot through the sales raps, which includes a few lectures in their entirety. It's also much better at twice speed, but most classes are. :)

By Paula R

Dec 06, 2015

Overall, I enjoyed this course, but it gave just a bit too much information on cognitive studies in other species, and it left me still wanting to learn more about dogs. The last 2 weeks were great! The professor was engaging and his work was very interesting, but he said ummm and ahhh so many times that it was a little distracting. The quizzes were good, but some of the questions were worded very oddly so I just couldn't get them right without several attempts. I didn't feel like he covered dog emotion at all. I thought there would be some discussion of facial expressions, the meaning of different tail wags, and the extent of dog emotion (for example, how they grieve and how long they grieve after a loss).

By Christian C

Sep 29, 2017

A decent course, but felt that it was a lot less about dogs than originally expected and the majority of the time is spent really deeply explain how the different experiments on dogs worked and marketing book and website of the teacher, which I don't really have a problem with, but didn't feel it needed lectures entirely devoted to how the website worked or that it needed to be included in the opening of every single video. The actual information is interesting and the teacher is very engaging would recommend if you like learning the history of dogs and discover new ways of looking at your pooch.

By Lilian A

Mar 07, 2016

Good information contained within the course which has sparked my interest in continuing to learn and build on my small amount of knowledge. Lower rating than I would usually give for a course because of the way the lectures are delivered. Having a lecturer standing in front of a brick wall, plugging his book and not really connecting with online students was not great. A couple of times during the lectures I dozed off and had to re-run them. If the plugging of own material was removed and the background and tone of voice were altered this could be a captivating and interesting course.

By C M

May 15, 2016

Very boring presentation. Far too much 'buy my book/go to MY website'., in it. If he did that in a RT University he would be hauled over the coals. Some interesting points made but most of the information given was from other's research.

A little less self-promotion and a little more work, combined with less boring presentation would move it up to 4*

By Betsey F

Nov 03, 2015

It seemed this course was a teaser to get people to enroll in/pay money to join the dogcognition program at Duke. I realized this in week 2 and did not continue the course.

By Deborah B

Feb 27, 2016

I was really disappointed in this "course" for several reasons. I did not complete it, because it was really not worth spending time on. The organizer impressed me as only wanting to sell copies of his book on dog behavior and used the course as his vehicle. Then there were games to "purchase" online to facilitate teaching my dog cognitive skills. The videos were lacking in creativity. I was really disappointed with this, especially since its a cool topic that could easily be presented in a very exciting way. The artistic level, the videos, slides, etc were something a high school student could pull together. After taking solid courses like ModPo and Positive Psychology, I was amazed at the lack of effort that was put into this.

By Laure-Anne V

Aug 22, 2015

In my opinion:

The topics reviewed were too haphazardly selected.

The citations for quoted research were hard to impossible to find,

The course focused disproportionately on the lecturer's commercial ventures.

By Racheli N

Oct 19, 2017

This course is not very informative, and it seems as though it is more of an advertisement to the lecturer's project then a real academic course

By Robert F

Feb 19, 2016

Elegant. This course teaches us how scientists have been able discover the ways in which dogs think and behave and presents those lessons within the broader context of evolution, domestication, psychology, ecology and society. The course reveals surprising and practical insights about how having a better understanding of dogs helps improve our understanding of ourselves, our human history, and contemporary society. The course explains how science helps to correct many of our common misunderstandings about the intelligence of animals, and summarizes how the manner in which we study animal behavior and cognition is changing today. The course is fun. The video lectures are clear and concise. Everything is very well organized and delivered with enthusiasm and clarity. The quizzes are not technical nor particularly challenging but do help with learning the course material. The course has references to optional reading materials and optional activities from dognition.org that you can explore with your own dog at home. I would recommend for anyone interested in animals, psychology, or behavioral science and certainly anyone with a pet dog. I personally enjoyed seeing so many examples of controlled experiments being used to discover new knowledge about the inner workings of animals.

By Melissa V S

May 27, 2018

Hi! I really loved this course, it taught me a lot of things!! I am in a dog obedience course right now and I am planning in becoming a dog trainer. I really appreciated all this knowledge and I congratulate you for this! I am also registered in Dognition and I'm currently making my dog's profile with the games. What really surprised me from this course was that it is an "inclusive" teaching, it does not rule out other ways, but it also highlights the scientific facts you guys have discovered or studied. For example, the clicker part where you suggest there's no evidence that clickers make it easier to train dogs, well in my experience clickers really make things faster, but my experience can't determine that this clicker thing is a law. I think it is very important to use science and also personal experience, and mix different kinds of knowledge to get the best results when working with dogs. We can't reduce dogs into one thing or another. Thank you, again, for offering this and for making me a better professional.

By Igor P

Mar 12, 2018

Great course! I learned more than just about my dog's cognitive capabilities. I also completed my dog's profile on DOGNITION. Some tests surprised me, but after all, I agree with the findings. Even more, after completing the course and reading the book (The Genius of Dog) I am able to explain some of my dog's behaviors and get bonded better to my GSD. I am particularly thrilled by the evidence of large cognitive variability within the same species (including different types of intelligence). I also fully support the concept about the citizen science and how more data can be used to find out all kind of interesting results that cannot be infer from small populations.

Thanks Brian and Vanessa for your passion for dogs' cognition and the great effort you put to share your knowledge with all of us. _igor

By Nichtsals U

Jan 11, 2016

I thought it's going to be a little boring - I only took it "for fun", I don't even have a dog or plans or get one, but starting with week 3 and especially week 4 the bigger picture of evolution of humans and animals up to this day alone was worth taking this course. Definitely broadened my mind. Also very valuable were was the information about dog breed profiles and what science can actually tell us about traits like aggressiveness and if they are related to breeds (they are not). If you are looking for concrete dog training tips you won't find them, this course is more about giving an overview of the state of science, but it does so very well IMHO. You can take the course in two afternoons easily - I recommend against doing it over 8 weeks. The videos are short, I watched them at 2 x speed mostly.

By DakotaLynn B

Jan 12, 2018

I should state that I have a higher understanding of dogs than most people.

In the beginning, for several lectures, I knew everything already and was disappointed, thinking I wouldn't learn much of anything, but as the course progressed, I learned far more than I could have hoped for. This course not only goes over cognitive function of dogs, but also evolution and includes information on Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Foxes, Wolves and even Humans! I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in evolution, cognition, dog training, animal domestication, wolf and dog social hierarchy, fast mapping, intelligence, dog breed differences (including size differences), bsl, pitbull, dog bites, dog agression, dog behavior, or just for some fun games to play with your dog!

By Michelle M B

Apr 03, 2016

This course is for you if you love dogs, and/or are interested in the science of animal behavior. Dr. Hare's presentations are interesting, informative and fun. I loved his use of scientific studies, videos, and Russian history (yes!) to get his points across. His book (optional) and the dog games (also optional) only add more depth to his lectures, but don't feel you need to buy the book and/or the games...you can take the online course and do just fine (but hopefully you'll want to read more, and participate as a citizen scientist, after taking the online course!). I will recommend this class to my canine_enthusiast friends, as I found Dr. Hare's class to re-evaluate how I look at the thought processes of dogs. This course is time well-spent!