Back to Dog Emotion and Cognition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dog Emotion and Cognition by Duke University

Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends....

DE
Dec 13, 2020

I learned valuable information about dogs. I can better understand the thought processes of my own dogs. I really like that the lecture slides were provided after the lectures, so I could review them.

LT
Aug 3, 2019

Great course with a lot of new information, not just about dogs but even domestication of other species, including humans. The predictability of aggression in humans would be an interesting next topic

51 - 75 of 1,121 Reviews for Dog Emotion and Cognition

By Mari T L E

I really enjoyed this course! The work load was well-distributed such that the content in each week's module was just the right amount for it to be digestible and understandable. I like that the way the lectures were given were in such a manner that it was very easy to understand and that the quizzes were short but can really check if the student listened throughout the lecture. Despite my assumption that I already knew a lot about dogs, I still learned so much more about dogs, which is super cool! Every minute I spent on this module is worth it! Thank you Duke University and Dr. Hare! <3

By Sarah W

Aug 2, 2020

As someone without a background in science, I found this course extremely accessible and very smooth in its transition from foundations of cognitive behaviour to the specifics of dogs and their behaviour. This course far exceeded my expectations and was more foundational than I thought it would be, which I appreciated. The lectures were chunked appropriately with appropriate time frames and I most appreciated the flexibility about completing tests as I was working full time and missed some deadlines. Thank you for helping me understand my dog more. This was an excellent course to take!

By Alejandro P

Aug 14, 2015

This course was great, and I'll do the experiments with a friend's dogs. I love dogs, but don't have one. I do have a cat, and would be interested in a similar course about them.

I believe probably cats don't have the same communicative abilities as dogs, as they don't cooperate that much as wolves, but for instance my cat can differentiate between "give me the paw" (where in one hand I have food, the other is an open palm, and he has to inhibit going to the hand of the food and putting his paw in my other palm), and "eat" (going directly to the hand with the food and eat it).

By Lyliah H

Dec 13, 2020

I found this a very interesting course. I learned a lot and also realized that some of what I thought was true really is not. I enjoyed learning about other animals and not just dogs. I found the professor's manner interesting and easy to follow, as well as, he was animated in a way that kept my interest. The number of quizzes along the way helped me to pay closer attention, as well. A very good class. I have taken well over 50 online classes due to being house bound during covid and I would rate this one of my top 5 favorite.

By Maria C J

Jun 12, 2020

The delivery of the data was very engaging, having Dr. Hare deliver the content himself with interspersed slides and visuals. In a concise but information-packed way, this course has opened my mind to the possibilities in which I can improve my relationship with my dog. At the same time, the course has given me numerous other topics to explore. I love how the research on dog cognition is related back and forth with cognition of other species, pointing out opportunities and possibilities in understanding them - and us - better.

By Meghan J

Apr 13, 2016

I really liked this course. I have owned and trained dogs from a very early time in my life. I found it very interesting how dogs evolved from wolves and how that is apparent in dogs today. I typically like courses to be heavy on the science side, but this class was well presented for mid-level people or people who don't have a science background. Of course people will disagree with some of the material but overall it was an interesting class and the book recommended for the class was a good read. Mahalo from Hawaii

By Juan N

Aug 29, 2017

Wow! I loved every piece of this course! Both the teaching and the content were superb and I couldn't believe how fast I completed this course since I couldn't stop. The content itself follows really logical steps so everything does make absolute sense. Brian is a phenomenal guy, not only because of his outstanding research but he seems like a really cool guy you want to have a beer with! His passion for this topic is contagious and the way he sees the (canine) world is something everyone should be doing more!

By Amber D

Mar 8, 2016

Dr. Hare did a great job explaining the results of experiments and what they mean in laymen terms. The information was well presented, and he is an enthusiastic professor. Although the super science-y stuff at the beginning may be a bit of a turnoff or seem boring for people like me without a science background, it really sets a good foundation for the more conventionally interesting material later in the course. I strongly recommend this course, and the accompanying activities via Dognition.

By Kirsteen N

Oct 6, 2020

I found this course very absorbing, and Professor Hare very engaging, with an infectious enthusiasm for his subject. I have enjoyed learning more about evolutionary theory, the growing awareness of evolutionary changes due to domestication, and the methodology and techniques used to identify and measure strengths in dogs. I'd have liked to continue to learn more about Dognition and other projects which are studying animal intelligence and behaviour.

Thanks very much for a most enjoyable course.

By Viktoria R

Oct 30, 2016

This course was a positive surprise! Professor Hare is a really good lecturer, you can feel his energy even if it's all recorded and the course is very well structured (and does not take too much time). I'm a dog lover and owner (I have 2 dogs), but I would strongly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in extending ones common knowledge, plus, it is a very interesting topic to bring up when networking as well as a conversations starter!

Thanks for an awesome course!

By Cindy-Estelle S

Apr 25, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. It was divided into clear parts that were short and thus easy to follow anytime during a quick break. It was not too demanding as there were no assignments or things to write. I felt I was learning interesting information. I would have liked more detailed information though on what dogs can and cannot do... perhaps a follow-up course. As I just adopted my dog a month ago from the shelter not sure if I can already use dognition with him.

By Elise M J

Nov 24, 2017

FANTASTIC. This course is a true look into the cognitive capabilities of dogs beyond operant conditioning. Dr. Hare's research and influence will make a huge impact on the dog training community and on the overall welfare of dogs in decades and centuries to come. As a dog trainer, I'm applying this research every day. Thank you Dr. Hare for having this available to educate the people about the amazing potential of their pets! Keep up the good work!

By Ana F R F

Aug 22, 2020

I enjoyed a lot doing this course. I found all the content and research truly interesting and full of surprises. I think all the information was very well condensed, accessible and well delivered. I would have appreciated if there was a discount on Dognition Profile Report for coursera students, as the contribution to the database is very important and not everyone is able to afford it, specially in Covid time. Overall, very well done!

By Marianne A

Dec 11, 2019

Estoy satisfecha por haber concluido el curso y por la información adquirida. Aunque se mencionan los capítulos a leer del libro del Dr. Hare, no es obligación adquirirlo ni pagar por los juegos de Dognition. Yo no lo hice, tal vez lo haga más adelante, no lo sé; lo que si sé es que este curso me hizo aprender mucho sobre los perros y otras especies y despertó mi deseo de seguir conociendo más, creo que me ha dado una buena base :)

By Linda F

Aug 7, 2020

I wasn’t sure that this course was for me, since I’m a bona fide cat person and have never lived with a dog. Well, I was completely hooked right away and couldn’t wait to complete all 8 modules! This is one of the most fascinating courses I’ve ever taken and would recommend it to any animal lover or to anybody with an interest in animal cognition. Thank you, Dr. Hare, for your outstanding instruction and for sharing your knowledge.

By Alice M

Apr 21, 2017

I truly enjoyed this course to its' core. Dr Hare is an animated professor w/a gift for teaching to an engaged audience. I learned so very much during this course, some new and some confirmations of what I believed to be true. My experience w/Coursera is a positive one for certain and I am already enrolled in my next course. Thank you Dr Hare for sharing your knowledge and expertise in your study of dogs w/me. RufF lOve, Alice

By Amanda Y

Feb 4, 2017

A very enjoyable course which has provided me with further knowledge with regards to understanding our relationship with dogs. Up to date and using as much new research as possible, alongside with historical studies, it made it an interesting comparison to further improve our understanding of dogs. It was ideal for me to use as CPD for my continued membership of the dog training organisation of which I am a member (APDT UK).

By Anna M H

Jul 10, 2017

it was absolutely exciting every week of the course.

I learnt a lot about dogs, but even more about primates and human beings as well. It was really surprising for me.

I feel gratitude and thanks for this opportunity to follow this course and got subsidising from the Coursera organisation.

Without their generosity I cannot effort this course.

I just recoommend this course to everybody with or without dogs :-).

Thanks again!

By Irene P

Jan 24, 2016

LOVED the course, ENJOYED the learning! Great video presentations by Dr. Hare … easy to engage, and wonderful to have the flexible fit into my schedule. Keep up to good work. Would like to know more about how the "Certificate" is issued. Keep getting opportunity to pay for the certificate on screen, even though I did that at the start of the course. LOVE the book as well … thank you for providing such great tools.

By james n

Feb 7, 2018

I believe a lot of people become frustrated with their dog because they try to apply a human thought process to their dog. The main point i got from this class is how reliant the breed is to human gestures . the dog has become reliant on human direction to survive. Take the feral dog example their poor rate of reproduction is unsustainable in the wild . A reason there are not groups of wild dogs living in the wild .

By Agnieszka Ł

Sep 27, 2019

It's the best course I have ever attended. The knowledge is based on many interesting experiments. I finished 8 weeks course in a few days because I couldn't stop watching it. I am looking forward to attending more courses like this. It's also worth to mention that due to Financial Help from Coursera I was able to get certified from this course without any costs! Thank you very much for your support Coursera!

By alyssa

Jan 5, 2016

What a wonderful class. I have found very few colleges that offer aclass in regards to animals, unless you're majoring as a vet. This class gives me the option to learn about my best friend (my dog) and how to apply my learned skills to better his life. The course content is easy to understand and exciting for an avid animal lover. Thank you Coursera, for changing how education is delivered. #rethinkcollege

By CC

Jan 1, 2021

Dr. Hare (great name for a professor talking about dogs!) was very personable and his course very clear--perhaps the clearest in terms of organizing and emphasizing information. Very well-planned and engaging throughout. I would have liked to have learned even more about how dogs think, but I only took the online course without reading the textbook. And, sadly, my dogs seem too old to test with Dognition.

By Ashley K

Mar 14, 2017

Really great course. There's not much coursework so it's mostly listening to lectures that tie together with the (optional) paid website Dognition. If you decide to buy Dogition those will function was your lab for the class, but you don't need to. I enjoyed it the same way I enjoy the Great Courses series, as something to listen to and learn from largely passively. And the topic couldn't be better; dogs!

By Maria M F R

Jun 6, 2016

Curso muy fácil de seguir, ameno e interesante. Además tiene un enlace a Dognition en el que se puede encontrar una gran variedad de actividades para nuestro mejor amigo y que proporciona, en caso de seguirlas, un perfil muy completo de tu perro.

Muy recomendable para todo aquel que quiera aprender un poco más sobre las emociones, cognición e inteligencia del perro, así como de su evolución desde el lobo.