Back to Dog Emotion and Cognition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dog Emotion and Cognition by Duke University

Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends....

LT

Aug 3, 2019

Great course with a lot of new information, not just about dogs but even domestication of other species, including humans. The predictability of aggression in humans would be an interesting next topic

DE

Dec 13, 2020

I learned valuable information about dogs. I can better understand the thought processes of my own dogs. I really like that the lecture slides were provided after the lectures, so I could review them.

151 - 175 of 1,251 Reviews for Dog Emotion and Cognition

By ZHANG L

Feb 18, 2016

It was a great course for all dog lovers! The content was so interesting with types experiments and games to better understand our pet dogs. Also the scientific findings are so suprising for us to really know who our dogs are. Go through this, your dog-knowing journey will be wonderful!!

By madelynne h t

Oct 4, 2020

Thank you so much for providing this educational opportunity to learn a bit more about the history and psychology of our closest companions: dogs! It let me learn so much about our most beloved pet animal in the household! It was the perfect pace of short, easy, and thought-compelling.

By Astrid T

Sep 14, 2016

The course itself was fantastic. I had read Dr. Hare's book previously and was a part of the Beta Test of dognition. But this was even better. It helped me gain an even better understanding of the subject. I can only highly recommend it to anybody interested in dogs and their behavior.

By Diane M

Aug 30, 2020

This has been a great way of surviving lockdown due to coronovirus in the UK!

Enjoyed the way the course was presented and have found the book to be a good supporting resource.

I have been training dogs since the mid 1970s (am now aged 68) and this has given me a new way of thinking.

By Гришаева Е

Nov 30, 2021

Огромная благодарность платформе Coursera за возможность пройти замечательный курс Брайана Хейра на русском языке. Курс был очень полезен в плане понимания когнитивных способностей собак, а также других животных. Да и в плане понимания эволюции человека курс также был познавателен.

By Yash P

Aug 9, 2020

I have always loved dogs. This course truly helped me better understand the animal I feel the deepest connection to. The course content was perfectly split up and engagingly delivered by the professor, Dr.Brian Hare through the use of humour to instill the facts in learners' minds.

By Leah A M

Aug 29, 2016

This was excellent! As a professional dog trainer, I really value the information I got from this course. Yes I also bought his book but It is a really good resource. You can get it used at a lower cost. I have been recommending this course to my "want to know more" clients.

By Jeannette R

Apr 9, 2016

Excellent start to the course. Looks like it is going to be really hands on with the different tests you can do with your own dog/s. I can't wait to get started and find out all about my dog's psychology. Just wondering how different it will be to my pre-conceived perceptions.

By Riccy E R S

Mar 23, 2020

El contenido fue interesante para mí, ya que había muchos conceptos y corrientes que ignoraba. Es completamente motivador la forma en que el instructor va presentando los temas, los explica y coloca ejemplos de la vida real que ilustran estudios y exámenes con sus resultados.

By Takashi A

Nov 12, 2016

This course gives scientific insight on how dogs have become human's best friend and it leads to better understanding toward as well as relationship with dogs. It is fantastic to come to know the citizen science which all dog lovers can contribute for better future with dogs.

By Joyce D G

Oct 30, 2020

Gives a lot of historical background and scientific observations regarding dogs. Very insightful!

Citizen science is the best way to go about collecting factual data about our dogs since millions of us have them as part of our homes. It's a brilliant scientific approach!

By Shelby L M

Aug 20, 2015

As a dog trainer I found this course very insightful into the mind of a dog and will be putting many of the games and ideas I learned into action with the dogs I teach. I will also suggest the Dognition site to all of my clients looking to do more with their dog's training

By Wesley W

Jun 6, 2020

What a great course! Thank you so much Dr. Hare, Duke University, and (of course!) Coursera for making this class available. I've learned quite a bit and will use this as another building block to continue my studies in animal behavior, welfare, biology, and psychology.

By Toni-Ann M

May 3, 2020

Excellent, excellent course. Very science-based but accessible to the layperson. I have a background in biology and animal care and can say that Dr. Hare knows dogs! I thought I knew a lot about dogs, but I learned SO MUCH MORE by taking this course. Highly recommend.

By Deirdre F

Jul 11, 2017

As an educator and advocate, I am so grateful to have had access to such an amazing course. Between the book, Dognition site, and coursework, I feel like many aspects of behavior and genetics have been demystified. Thank you!

Deirdre Franklin, CEO of Pinups for Pitbulls

By Jennifer m S

Feb 25, 2021

Dr. Hare presents with ease and a high level of professionalism. He uses research to support his lectures which is fabulous. The dog world is full of so many theories not empirically supported, breath of fresh air. I would recommend this course to colleagues for sure.

By raksha h

Jun 7, 2020

I absolutely LOVED this course and the way it was conducted. The content of the course is of great quality and I have learnt a lot. I would definitely recommend this course to all dog lovers and anyone who is interested in understanding these beautiful animals better.

By Benjamin S

Jun 3, 2020

By far one of the most interesting animal studies courses that i enrolled in.

Informative in so many ways.

I would however - whilst aim is to loop back to dogs over time - change the title as this course covers a whole lot more topics, than only concentrating on dogs.

By Carol F

Mar 16, 2019

So interesting and the way he spoke and explained things as well as in conjunction with the book and Dognition site, really made this course fun and exciting. I feel comfortable to move forward in my studies of dog behavior and am thankful for this type of learning.

By Erkut S

Oct 20, 2019

"Dog Emotion and Cognition" by Dr. Brian Hare does not only present you with remarkable information on the subject, but also provide you with great insight that is crucial to understand human and animal psychology to begin with. Definitely a very informative course!

By Carey S

Jan 13, 2018

I learned so much about the questions we all have about why dogs are the way they are regarding man's best friend. It's facinating to understand better why dogs do what they do, how they've learned to do things, and what we can do to better understand their intent.

By Herbert D U

Aug 27, 2020

The course has given me better understanding about animal behaviour, our bond with dogs, as well as an insight to how humans and other species might have evolved. I would recommend that another course which would go more indept into animal psychology be developed.

By Inés R F

Feb 18, 2021

Me pareció excelente. Aprendí mucho, de manera entretenida. El profesor muy bueno. El formato de videos cortos muy didáctico. Todo el material muy bueno. Los contenidos muy bien ligados entre sí. Dan ganas de seguir aprendiendo. Muchas gracias por la oportunidad.

By Ewald H

Jul 5, 2020

Absolutely brilliant! I've always loved dogs and certainly enjoy their companionship, but this course really helped me gain insight into how my dog thinks. With this knowledge, I can devise new games that will keep us both entertained and help us bond even more.

By Philip b

Nov 25, 2020

Dr Hare has a well deserved reputation in the field. This course is a “must have” for anyone serious about understanding our closest allies in the animal kingdom. Understanding dogs helps teach us how we must protect all our fellow species on our amazing planet.