Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

M
May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

26 - 50 of 716 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Lilian D

Sep 16, 2017

Generally it's a fantastic online course, which gives me so much insight to an area I have previously unaware of. Behavioral Finance is meaningful because it takes human behavior factors into account of finance models, especially psychology factor. It offers me new insight into a study of interdisciplinary subjects. Class outlines and videos are well-organized and challenging. However, I think the test questions are sometimes a little bit difficult, and test2 and test3 should have answers and analysis like test1. It will always be better to review the knowledge you learned after making some mistakes and being eager to know the causes. Generally, I love the course!

By Arun C

Jan 2, 2019

Thank you very much for provide such an excellent platform to learn. I want to learn this course “Behavioural Finance” from last 3 years but don’t have path and guidance. But by Coursera with Tata capital I get this opportunity.

As far as course is concern Excellent course. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Insightful short course on psychological background on investing. The course is well designed, especially the case study examples.

By KYRIAKOS M

Aug 12, 2016

This course is really interesting, especially for people that are into Business Management and Psychology. In my humble opinion, every human being is a decision maker in their everyday life and this course( in conjuction with other sciences) is a tool of paramount importance to make better and more effective decisions in the everyday life. I feel really happy to have had the opportunity to learn all that i have learned and become a better decision maker starting from..now!

By Nereo M

Dec 2, 2020

The course is something very new and very different from where I have been and from my experience as an operations management executive. The jargon and language are just new to me. I learned a lot, which I can apply to my new mission and passion as a financial coach. Thank you.

By Alexander M

Aug 16, 2017

Great course! It allows to understand the twisted logic that run in our heads. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Thanks a lot!

By Shivam P

Oct 10, 2020

I thought it would be an easy one sitting course, but it is not. PPTs are excellent, and quizzes will test you properly. Just be aware that you can't finish it in just 5 hours.

By PRASHANT M

Oct 27, 2020

The course was interesting and made you think differently in a given situation.

By Richard K

Oct 31, 2020

Excellent insights into the psychology of money, finance and investing

By Jane A

Nov 19, 2020

Really intriguing concepts and material, and engaging presenters. There's a lot of shifting terminology, though, i.e. a bias may be called one thing in one place, and then referred to by a different term in the quiz. The quizzes are very frustrating, because so many of the questions call for pretty subjective selection of multiple possible answers -- there are way too many ways to be "incorrect," with no room to discuss why an answer could be appropriate. It's a short, basic intro kind of course, though, and did its job of making me quite interested in this particular lens on finance/economics.

By Simon C

Nov 18, 2020

Material was good, but the quizzes are poor because many questions are inadequately covered in the class materials.

By Matthew M

Apr 1, 2020

In comparison to other courses on here I felt that this was poor. It is very light on content, the videos are very short, and the accompanying reading is extremely brief, light, and doesn't really even give basic definitions of what terms mean.

When answering the quiz questions I had to rely on my own knowledge for most things because nowhere does it say something as simple as "this behavioural bias can be defined as follows".

Generally, everything is very convoluted, doesn't give appropriate context as to what behavioural finance is or even why it came about.

Overall very poor - you can get more just researching it yourself or reading the basics on Wikipedia to be honest.

Mar 24, 2020

The course is mismarketed as Behavioral Finance, when really its mostly (80%) basic behavioral "economics" that is just as well described in several popular books. The only areas they attempt to relate to finance are 1) mutual funds fees don't justify performance 2) past asset bubbles. Jack Bogle could have told you in the 1970s about #1 above and its nothing new for most people these days. Similarly while asset bubbles are interesting, there is no forward looking views on how understanding behavioral paradigms can help either prevent bubbles or help investors make better decisions during a bubble.

By Isaac B

Dec 11, 2019

I'm very disappointed with this course. The course materials resembles a bunch of notes jolted together, like a jigsaw puzzle with many missing pieces. I can't make sense of the theory yet. And, I consider myself quite a bright person who is constantly taking courses on Coursera. I finished this course if the feeling I haven't learnt that anything. I expected the video lessons would put some sense into the slides, but they are close to useless, which is a pity as this is the only course on Behavioural Finance on Coursera. I'm very frustrated and disappointed :-(

By Max B

May 9, 2020

This course offers interesting content via slide decks that are the focal point of the course. In my opinion, the videos did not provide any additional information that was not laid out in the slides. The professors are clearly very experienced on the topics. I would have loved to hear more from them instead of reading slide decks.

I would like for the quizzes to provide some form of feedback around why a user got the question correct or incorrect. I would also like for the videos to be the focal point of the course with animations and graphs.

By Doug K

Aug 27, 2020

I've taken several Coursera courses, and this is the worst one by far. Yes there is useful information, but it is very poorly taught. The video presentations don't add much beyond the reading assignments. And the "quizes" are an extension of the material, more like homework than a quiz. I would think Duke University would be embarrassed to put their name on this course. After all, that's where Dan Ariely calls home, so the university has talent, but it is not on display here.

By Mathieu S

Feb 26, 2019

The topics are very interesting, but they are also very complex, and I don't think they were explained in sufficient detail, which caused the exams to be frustrating. Further, an answer key was only provided for the Week 1 exam, and I still don't know why some answers were correct or incorrect on the other exams. I also don't find the use of both videos and documents to be useful as most of the information seemed to be included in the documents.

By Leah F

Apr 30, 2020

While it was interesting, The materials itself I felt was poorly written. When taking the test I found myself thinking this did not go over any of what was in the lesson plans. They need to offer definitions of the words and examples. But for the value I thought it was a fair price. I am however having issues trying to share certificate via anything.

By Adhruth S

The content in the slides are good and interesting but other than that it is really not worth doing this course. There are a very few videos and most of the concepts that are important are not covered in them. Videos seem to be missing in the course and the flow of content is not in a proper manner. Not satisfied with this course at all.

By Bhoomi B

Jun 2, 2020

The concepts weren't that clear and and the number of example weren't enough to connect the dots. for new comers like me this course is hard to understand and anticipate the answers. I did it anyways after 12 attempts on the final assignment. I wish to refer to the content available again to freshen up my knowledge again. Thank you

By Dominika M

Apr 12, 2020

Not enough reading material according to questions in quizes and also given material did not explain all the biases sufficiently for answearing questions in quizes. Quiz in week 1 was great because of explanations and I also could see which answer did I pick. Other two quizes showed only if the answear was correct.

By jaiyant

Dec 29, 2019

The course material is not at all good, this course is an epitome of teaching what a tree is and asking in quiz what is the distance between Sun and Moon. The definitions and explanations of all biases were missing , a basic idea is presented but it is incomplete and insufficient .

By Mike M

Aug 19, 2016

The subject matter is good, but the course does not adequately explain behavioral finance concepts. Most of the course consists of slide decks to read. There is a dearth of video content. I expected better quality from a course provided through Duke University.

By Arshish K

Jul 7, 2020

Very poorly executed course, makes you do most of the work yourself. Learn yourself through reading more than what is presented in the videos and reading materials. Grossly under-estimates the time commitment required to complete the course. Not recommended.

By Erica S

Jan 20, 2021

There were parts of the course that were good. The organization of it was not good at all, and the quizzes didn't always match the material covered, or else the quizzes were much more advanced than the material covered.

By Birgitte J

May 22, 2018

Interesting topics, but the course is not well structured, so a bit confusing. Also course views on active vs. passive investing seems too black/white, and does not take the most recent academic evidence into account.