Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

M
May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

526 - 550 of 783 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Смирнова Э Р

May 26, 2017

The mass of information is a little hectic. Would appreciate more explanations and also more questions as to what will most likely happen instead of why exactly smth has happened. Especially in the final tasks.

By Rahul S

May 7, 2020

The videos were very short and the topics were not fully covered even in PPTs. However, the content was really interesting. But please include answer explanations to Quizzes 2 & 3. They were really confusing.

By Rajat A

Jun 8, 2020

The course was rigorous and difficult; however I expected more practical examples and an in-depth explanation of the bias.

Along with it, a glossary of different kinds of bias would have been appreciable.

By Shauna R

Feb 8, 2017

The course was good and the material was interesting. I wish that the course were more video-based however. There are some videos but they are meant to be played at specific points during the reading.

By Prithuyash S

Jan 11, 2020

The course was pretty good, required a lotta pre requisites and most of all the professors were amazing but didn't teach much less scenarios and no answers to the questions asked in assignments

By Richard M

Apr 22, 2020

Very interesting and fun to learn. The slides could have more details or provide reading to better understand the concepts separate to the examples. Thoroughly enjoyed though, would recommend!

By Rob J

Dec 25, 2019

Overall, the content was excellent. More practical examples of practicing the principles would have been helpful for completing the exam as well as absorbing the content into long term memory.

By Ank A

Jun 27, 2018

Great brief introduction to behavioral finance. Covers many topics, directly to the point. Only preferred change would be more videos rather than readings but otherwise phenomenal course.

By Tushar b

May 12, 2020

The Courses tell us about about a number of biasis using good example. It would have been much more interesting if biases were explained using more example of bubbles and crisis.

By Shilpashri

Apr 2, 2021

The concepts are explained in detail but sometimes too much in detail without parallel examples to real life that sometimes, all biases seem to be the same. More videos needed.

By Manvi G

Jan 6, 2018

It was a great experience, and i was able to learn and enhance all my concepts. This course helped me to brush up and have clarity towards all the concepts related to finance.

By Ganesh R

Jan 8, 2020

Need someone to respond if we have doubts

Include reading materials too for further reference

Too much of overlap between video and text content, Need to differentiate both

By Boijayanti S

Nov 11, 2020

A packed course with a lot of insight. It would have been better if small videos or graphics could have been used for the hypotheticals. Questions effectively test you.

By Caroline B

Jul 20, 2020

At times felt like we hadn't actually learnt the material in the quizzes. Also no quiz explanations which would have been useful. Course otherwise was engaging and fun.

By Jaahnvi S

Aug 1, 2019

The course was extremely detailed and valuable for me. However, I do wish that there were answer explanations at the end of each quiz so I could see where I went wrong!

By Kin K K

Jan 20, 2021

The reading materials were great, It gave me a lot of insight into behavioral finance. It would be better if more explanation were included in the videos and quizzes

By kRUPA S

Sep 1, 2018

Explanatory answers which were provided in 1st week could have been provided in the second and the third week quiz as well for better understanding of our mistakes.

By PRADIP K M

Jul 21, 2017

Course was excellent ....content was limited and video lecture were very short. More theory for reading needed but examples were nicely put for better understanding

By Jai B

Mar 29, 2019

It is a great course which taught me a lot about how the world operates and the common mistakes which are made . It is an excellent and I highly recommend it .

By R. A

Apr 20, 2020

I have learned a lot of topics from Behavioral Finance course. Almost all the topics with a real life examples made me understand more even better and simple.

By Shwetabh S

Feb 24, 2019

Although the course was interesting, the quizzes were not related to the lectures and slides. I was mostly reliant on third-party materials to solve the quiz.

By Nam D

Aug 25, 2017

This is helpful to understand financial phenomenon with another view points. but the several concepts are ambiguous and some quiz doesn't make sense, I think.

By Siddhartha P

Aug 11, 2016

A different and interesting perspective to look in the field of finance. Content is little confusing and more of self study component, but overall it's worth.

By Wesley F

Dec 22, 2019

Thoroughly enjoyed the content of the course. The flexibility also allowed me to schedule my learning through my normal busy day-to-day schedule. Thank you.

By Vishal k Y

Sep 30, 2019

The Couse was well equipped with certain example that can clear the concepts of biases we have in our daily life while dealing with our day to day finances