Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

M
May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

751 - 775 of 777 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By RISHIKA J

Apr 14, 2020

Videos should be more interactive

By Salah B

Sep 18, 2020

Need more explanation videos

By Anil J

Jan 9, 2021

It was mostly just notes .

By Jose A G

Apr 24, 2020

g

By Akhil T

Apr 16, 2021

Week 1 introduced me to the concept very well, but the course material was insufficient, instead of diving deep into few concepts, we have to go through lot of concepts with minimal explanation, this confuses more than clarifies the concept, course material could have been in a simpler language. There was no explanation for Questions given in two of the three quizzes, so we can't know where we went wrong and how we can improve our subject knowledge through our mistakes.

By Melinda T

Sep 7, 2021

Teacher was not engaging or interesting, making material very difficult to digest. The information came across as briefly explained, presented in a manner assuming you knew what teacher was speaking about prior to the introduction to the material. There was too much reading involved compared to actual teaching time. A few links for final test did not work on any device I had.

By CHIAO C

Jul 5, 2021

To be honest here, the course may be the worst organized MOOC I have taken so far on Cousera. While the content is interesting, there were far less video conttent and in-depth explanation than I expected. I'd say if anyone interested in Behavioral Economic field, just go read Thinking Fast and Slow to get a taste.

By Srijan S

Jul 11, 2021

Disappointed in this course, the videos are good but they cover a very minimal part of even the introduction to behavioral finance, the quizzes are much tougher than you'd expect, lots of reading material (which is actually really high quality). Overall, could be better.

By Sayan B

Jul 27, 2021

Very limited content on the video lectures, and the course is primarily dependent on the slides. The links to the 6 bubbles (end of Week 3) didn't open. Overall, I can not recommend this course, unless improvements are made.

By Esteban U

Sep 2, 2021

The course has too much pdf and very little video material. I choose this course because it has spanish subtitles but I had to read a lot documents in English. I hope change this because this topic is excelent

By Anusha J

May 24, 2021

Even though the course was interesting, the quizzes and the course material were not in sync and it was very hard to understand the logic behind answers

By Kwan W P

May 13, 2021

Quiz is not really helpful

By James O

Oct 5, 2021

T​he format for Quiz 1 is FUBAR. Messages to the site bring NO response or correction to the problem. Avoid courses from Duke! They evidently aren't computer savey or concerned.

By Piyush P

May 4, 2021

Lectures and readings don't go hand in hand with the quizzes

By Sophie H

Jun 15, 2021

Very boring. Excessive reading. Would not recommend

By Tahmid M

Sep 5, 2021

Course materials such as videos were missing.

By Samir Y