Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

M
May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

776 - 786 of 786 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Sayan B

Jul 27, 2021

Very limited content on the video lectures, and the course is primarily dependent on the slides. The links to the 6 bubbles (end of Week 3) didn't open. Overall, I can not recommend this course, unless improvements are made.

By Esteban U

Sep 2, 2021

The course has too much pdf and very little video material. I choose this course because it has spanish subtitles but I had to read a lot documents in English. I hope change this because this topic is excelent

By Anusha J

May 24, 2021

Even though the course was interesting, the quizzes and the course material were not in sync and it was very hard to understand the logic behind answers

By Kwan W P

May 13, 2021

Quiz is not really helpful

By James O

Oct 5, 2021

T​he format for Quiz 1 is FUBAR. Messages to the site bring NO response or correction to the problem. Avoid courses from Duke! They evidently aren't computer savey or concerned.

By Piyush P

May 4, 2021

Lectures and readings don't go hand in hand with the quizzes

By Sophie H

Jun 15, 2021

Very boring. Excessive reading. Would not recommend

By Tahmid M

Sep 5, 2021

Course materials such as videos were missing.

By Samir Y