Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

AM
Aug 15, 2017

Great course! It allows to understand the twisted logic that run in our heads. Helps to establish the balance between probabilistic truth and illusions that infect our decision-making. Thanks a lot!

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

76 - 100 of 659 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Evan O

Aug 7, 2016

I love the idea of behavioral Finance. i find this course leaves you with a lot of terms and ideas to explore outside of the text. If that is what you enjoy, this course is highly recommended by myself

By Martin Š

May 3, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

By Everton H M M

Mar 1, 2020

Pra mim foi um curso maravilhoso recomendo ele para todas as pessoas que querem aprender como nos comportamos com nosso dinheiro o curso tem muito aprendizado e muita leitura gostei muito.

By Olivia S

Aug 10, 2020

The instructor was not only knowledgeable, but she also took the time to give real-world applications. Wonderful course full of information to help us better understand our clients.

By Renato P S J

Jul 19, 2020

Engaging and challenging course. Taking the course gave me a lot of realizations as to my biases on investing and personal finance that I should strive hard to consciously avoid.

By Shivam P

Oct 10, 2020

I thought it would be an easy one sitting course, but it is not. PPTs are excellent, and quizzes will test you properly. Just be aware that you can't finish it in just 5 hours.

By Sreeja V

May 15, 2020

This Course is really helpful to understand what goes inside the mind of investors and how they fall prey to the biases that may not work out in their favor in the long run.

By Manjit S

Oct 21, 2018

Very informative . Learned a lot of concepts on behavioral finance and behavioral economics . I am sure they will go a long way in helping me in making better decisions !!

By Andrew A

Jun 21, 2017

Extremely interesting and relevant content, presented in a thoughtful and compelling way. Most importantly, I learned something new that I will try to use in my own life.

By Edward H

Jun 15, 2020

Very informative a laid out clearly.

Had week 1 answers to quiz to revise, would have been useful to have this for stage 2 and stage 3. Thoroughly enjoyed thank you.

By Riya G

Nov 7, 2019

This was really beneficial, I hope that I will achieve results in future because of this and will be able to gain many opportunities coming my way with help of this.

By Bilal R Z

Jul 20, 2017

This course uses examples from 1600s to 2000s and have been very informative in how the investors behave. Anyone going into financial markets must take this course.

By Roopesh K K

Oct 22, 2020

Super course, super content... great learning... I will not only apply the learnings in my life but also encourage people to take this course... regards Roopesh K.

By Anand K

May 21, 2019

Extremely informative. The course enhanced my understanding of the subject with the well-planed case studies. The lectures were pretty short, but brilliant. Thanks

By Rishika S

Jul 11, 2019

This course was very insightful in terms of giving the students the ability to deeply examine the underlying causes of humans' economic and financial decisions.

By Gayathri R

Nov 15, 2017

I am new to this coursera and i took my first course as Behavioral Finance.I learnt many things in it.

I came to know various knowledge about Behavioral Finance.

By Adnan k

Sep 23, 2020

Awesome Faculty and platform to gain skills and knowledge together. This course really help me a lot. Thankyou Coursera team and Duke university. Thankyou all.

By Ankit S

Aug 11, 2017

Great course! Extremely practical and with a balanced view of its concepts (not too dogmatic). Also, the quizzes were challenging enough to keep me interested.

By wycllife o

Nov 24, 2020

this is a good course.In the three weeks of learning it i was able to gain numerous skills and understand how people behave towards finance at different times

By Albert L

Aug 30, 2018

Excellent introduction to Behavioural Finance! As an investor, I have made so many of these behavioural mistakes and it's great to at least be aware of them.

By sumit s

May 16, 2018

It was a good introductory course on behavioral finance. One will get to know about many hidden biases, which play a crucial role in their decision making.

By Prabhat S

Apr 21, 2020

Great Course! Knowing how human being make behavioral bias while making decision is very enlightening. I recommend all to take this course. All the best!!

By Isra N E A Y

Apr 19, 2018

It is a very valuable course and i am glad to be a part of it, this is something that you can confidently call accomplishment, thank you duke university:)

By Herminia E

Aug 20, 2017

Engaging, very well explained, not just an introduction, but a good comprehensive way to explain the reasons behind our every-day decision-making process.

By Cheng Y

Dec 4, 2020

The course materials and the professor's explanation are very good, and the knowledge points are refined very well, which is very helpful for learning.