Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

SK
Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

M
May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

76 - 100 of 778 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

By Edwin S

Aug 22, 2020

Worst course I have done on Coursera. You are expected to learn almost everything from a few pdfs and lectures do not cover much. Definitely not recommended.

By Fokrur R H

Apr 24, 2020

The worst course ever. There is no matching between course video content and question. Not much explanation about the biases.

By Chelsea R

Dec 1, 2019

I was looking more for a beginners level course for money management, and this was more geared towards finance.

By 18BCF020-Bindhiya M B A

Sep 30, 2020

Certificate is not there ...And after completing of course I didn't get my certificate

By Md R I

too much reading ....explanation is poor.... less understanding

By Archil J

very poor. expected much more and better explainations.

By Ameet C

Aug 16, 2019

extremely impractical, confusing notes and tests

By Jennifer A

Apr 19, 2019

Complex concepts were not explained well.

By Kannan S

May 22, 2017

I was exposed to the topics for the first time. Hence, this is a beginner's feedback.

I would have liked the course to be structured in the following manner - Week 1 - theoretical input; Week 2 - Introduction to all biases; Week 3 - Practical examples of specific biases exhibited in real life situations

Some of the biases in Quizzes are not part of the curriculum - does it mean they are false responses or the course did not cover them?

By Diego B

Oct 9, 2018

This is a great beginners course. It's challenging enough to keep you interested but not so much so as to make you feel out of depth and despaired. The 3 week program ramps up nicely and helps you ease into the material. There are more math than I was expecting but it's a finance course after all so it's not so surprising and one can still follow the course even if not comfortable with numbers.

By Stanley S

Apr 18, 2020

A very well organized and time-flexible course that is suitable for people who have little knowledge about economics/finance but are eager to learn about the basics of behavioral economics. The course is relatively easy and the coursework is quite light, and the professor have made complicated economic concepts easy to understand (she explained them very clearly). Definitely worth a try!!!

By Christopher D R

Nov 1, 2020

Extremely helpful especially in my case as an FX Trader where I have to make several trade decisions which I now know that mostly are biased in one way or another with the behavioral biases I have learned. Knowing these now, I may be able to enact certain steps to help me in my trades to avoid these biases. Also useful as an investing individual or any individual making decisions.

By Danny S

Feb 13, 2020

I consider this course to of been a thought-provoking and rewarding lesson on the psychological pitfalls of investment decision-making. The course provided insight into how and why a market may fluctuate due to how we perceive and react to events. The exercises and examples were key in framing exactly how we make the mistakes and irrational choices in decisions about our money.

By Niranjan K

Jul 28, 2020

Excellent course. It actually makes you think through the concepts. It is not for those who need spoon feeding. This course has not only developed my knowledge but the perspective of conducting such course during this pandemic situation. The videos & course material is very engaging and thought provoking. I think that is the crux of Behavioral Finance.

By Galymbek M

Jul 22, 2019

turned out to be very demanding course. This course shed some light at the basics of behavioral finance. After the course, it is interesting indeed to continue education/self-education on the behavioral finance/economics issues. in addition, this course came just in time to help better evaluate current projects at work (financial institution)

By Quyen T N T

Mar 20, 2017

I just stumble upon this course and like the lecturer says it's a relatively new school of thoughts. It combines psychology and finance or to say find psychology application in finance subjects.

I did come around my university to find finance books written about this subjects but so disappointed I found none physical books, all are ebooks.

By Jose A C

Apr 8, 2020

I got what I expected when I read the syllabus. This course will give you a general sense of the topic on hand. Discussions are mostly surface level but it is enough for you to understand different behaviours involved. Go take it if you want to start learning about behavioural finance and use this as a springboard to an in-depth journey

By Varun B

Aug 28, 2016

Was a major eye opener for learners and beginners I could relate with most of the biases which were introduced in this subject was feeling reluctant as always to attempt the exam papers nonetheless I downloaded all the PDFs of all the chapters for life long learning which is most important for me as I am a potential future investor.

By Harsha P

Jan 4, 2018

The course is very well designed. The tutorials, this course would offer is worth reading. The faculty, explained the concepts in a way that aspirants from various geographical locations can feel comfortable and understand them well. I would suggest all to pursue this course before they invest their money in market.

By Sohini M

Apr 13, 2020

I have gained so much of practical knowledge by doing this course. The videos as well as the reading part are too good for a beginner like me. Overall I am very thankful to Coursera for providing me this platform to learn behavioral finance in such a short span of time, by giving me all the insights of the subject.

By Kirati S

Mar 30, 2018

As a long time investor, I found this course is very helpful to get to learn how psychology affects our decision making everyday. It's not only help me to learn the bias but also find way of how to overcome it. The reading material is excellence having provided tons of case studies that we all can benefit from.

By Chiranjeevi C

Mar 14, 2018

It was a very good experience to me. I have got to know many new things in the field of finance and markets. Most importantly I enjoyed this course from the start till the end. Thanks to the two professors who spent their time making this course online. I would recommend this course to my friends as well.

By Penny G

Nov 15, 2019

This course was really interesting and fun. I will definitely be reviewing the material as I begin to evaluate investments and other business opportunities in the future. I feel better equipped to make financial decisions and I will be able to ask smarter questions from my investment advisors.

By Norbert R

Aug 28, 2020

Was maybe a little to high level for me but I enjoyed searching for things I did not understand. Thank you for making courses like this available. I took it just because I was interested to recognize biases in my own investing. Knowing is being able to recognize and hopefully change them.

By Bobby A

Jun 8, 2020

This is a decent course. You do need to have taken Macro - and Micro Economics for this course. This course is an introductory course to the world of finance. This course in a nutshell, teaches how we waste money, how we allow ourselves to be influenced by people to make us spend our money