Back to Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS by Duke University

Learn foundational programming concepts (e.g., functions, for loops, conditional statements) and how to solve problems like a programmer. In addition, learn basic web development as you build web pages using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. By the end of the course, will create a web page where others can upload their images and apply image filters that you create. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Think critically about how to solve a problem using programming; 2. Write JavaScript programs using functions, for loops, and conditional statements; 3. Use HTML to construct a web page with paragraphs, divs, images, links, and lists; 4. Add styles to a web page with CSS IDs and classes; and 5. Make a web page interactive with JavaScript commands like alert, onClick, onChange, adding input features like an image canvas, button, and slider....

JS

Jan 13, 2020

A very helpful code which allows you to learn the simple of JavaScript HTML and CSS. Very helpful in building websites and an excellent course for beginners or even people who have never coded before.

IS

Oct 06, 2015

This is the first course I am taking in Coursera.org. The valuable instructors of Duke University designed and created a masterpiece for learners. Thank you so much guys. Greets from Istanbul, Turkey.

1226 - 1250 of 1,359 Reviews for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

By Lim Y L

Aug 01, 2017

It is a good introduction into programming. The lessons are based on projects and is more practical than theoretical. This is also a problem and challenge for those who are complete beginners. I spent way more time in the course than the stipulated time. For those with zero knowledge, you had to rely on other resources to get you through it.

By Purab G

Oct 11, 2016

For the eager student maybe some more resources should have been shared. I was hoping to learn some production quality environment basics e.g. the ideal editor, best practices etc.

That said- I really liked how the 3 components, css, js and html were stitched together to help understand interactive webpages using js.

By Gabriel S C

Apr 02, 2020

The use of Codepen to write code instead of a normal IDE was really confusing and the fact that the teacher doesn't write the code while explains it, instead, the full code appears out of nowhere. Despite that, the teachers are good, I just didn't found a purpose in putting this course in a java specialization.

By huda s

Dec 12, 2015

thank u so mach for this course it was simple and pretty good for the first 2 weeks i really enjoyed it :) ; but the other two weeks though ... i had a hard time there , if you try to improve it , the js wasn't understandable at all or at least mention in the course info that js background needed !!

By Srini M

Feb 03, 2016

it started off as being for beginners but after a while it was rushed and made it extremely difficult for beginners to keep up. Please dont just tell the student to go and write the code for something without giving a hint. Also, there were math mistakes in the course material that are easy to fix.

By pranav r

Sep 25, 2018

Some Teachers did have good explaining power but some not. While This course was interesting for me. This course of html,css was not complete. Here the part of css was not described good.They were just focused on green screen effect and images. None of them Explained how to design the webpage.

By Heather C W

Jun 25, 2017

Good course in theory, but there's no way to enforce students actually completing the assignments. I didn't feel challenged by the material, or encouraged to do the assignments. I knew enough about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript from another course, that this course didn't teach me anything new.

By Roberto R

Nov 08, 2016

Moderator answer in a very short time. I was impressed of that. I think the course should add a video to explain more in details some concept as variables. many of my issues were coming from deep doubts i had about this. maybe explain variables on hardware and variables as pointers.

By Rohan S G

Jun 25, 2019

I Found this course to be interesting at the start. As I gradually completed all my videos and exercises from week 1 and moved to week 2, I found some contents being difficult to understand. Now, I don't know if I'm the only one, but some concepts were left not explained in week 2.

By HUMBERT C

Feb 29, 2016

Good overall but the content uses library and other content that make it hard to apply the technologies to the real world, an emphasis on orienting the content to 'from scratch development' would be duly appreciated I think. Nevertheless interesting and well presented over all.

By Ahamed

Jan 20, 2017

student needs to read a lot out of this course in order to solve the exercises!

the course materials are not enough, and they focus more on images, while this entire course for beginners level, it should be fundamental stuff.

overall the course is good but needs more changes

By Dimu C

May 05, 2019

I find this course a little bit difficult to understand and maybe not so well organised. I don't know if I just had issues with my english or it was not the best course structure. I will try the next course with Java specialisation and I will see. Regards. Catalin Dimu

By Hardik S

Dec 23, 2019

The tutors were very good with the lecture videos but the only thing I didn't liked was that, this whole course was revolving around manipulating the images. We should have been taught more about styling web pages and make them responsive and interactive.

By Venkateshan P

Aug 19, 2019

Overall course is good , the way you teach with new concept like "Green screen algorithm, Steganography". But i expected more concepts and fundamentals of HTML,CSS and JAVASCRIPT i.e extra attributes, methods, functions and son on should be explained .

By Kimberlyn

Jun 11, 2018

I think there should be more training in the continuity of writing the JavaScript Code. For example, there were a few sessions where I was confused about why my function wasn't working and additional information from a previous week was needed.

By Silvia Z C

Dec 24, 2018

Good explanations provided in videos. However no one answered or provided assistance when posting works on forums. Still waiting on feedback on my work and answers on my doubts. Poor assistance to students when they are struggling.

By Beresford A D

Jul 20, 2019

At 68 years of age, my purpose for taking these computing course studies is to measure how far we have traveled since 1980 in solving problems through data patterns; we are still asking results, WHY!

--Beresford A. Davidson

By Michal S

Jul 19, 2019

I would be happy for more thorough explanations. At times it looked like for people who have some previous (basic) experience with programming. Still a nice course though.

By Dimosthenis S

Mar 08, 2017

Good introduction to very basic stuff. I skipped many videos and found the same information on the internet. If it wasn't part of the specialization I wouldn't pick it.

By Burke N

Jul 02, 2017

The course was a little light on describing some programming concepts that I would of struggled with in the exercises had I not had previous experience.

By Shachi P

Aug 19, 2016

It is a very neat and organized learning experience. It is not perfect (nothing is), but it is one of the best learning experiences I have ever had.

By Brajesh V

Oct 12, 2015

This course lost focus in later half and I nowhere I felt learning JS but just using JS as a tool to learn most of Image manipulation techniques.

By Hail B

Oct 17, 2015

All the basics for beginners. Some step by step and some things make you think and research more references. I think that's a great combination.

By Katrina W

Jul 14, 2016

This course is very difficult. I recommend only taking it if you have some experience with syntax. Although very challenging, I learned a ton.

By Kenneth L

Oct 14, 2015

The first week was a bit slow, but things picked up a bit after that. If you have programming experience, this course is not very challenging.