Back to Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS by Duke University

Learn foundational programming concepts (e.g., functions, for loops, conditional statements) and how to solve problems like a programmer. In addition, learn basic web development as you build web pages using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. By the end of the course, will create a web page where others can upload their images and apply image filters that you create. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Think critically about how to solve a problem using programming; 2. Write JavaScript programs using functions, for loops, and conditional statements; 3. Use HTML to construct a web page with paragraphs, divs, images, links, and lists; 4. Add styles to a web page with CSS IDs and classes; and 5. Make a web page interactive with JavaScript commands like alert, onClick, onChange, adding input features like an image canvas, button, and slider....

IS

Oct 06, 2015

This is the first course I am taking in Coursera.org. The valuable instructors of Duke University designed and created a masterpiece for learners. Thank you so much guys. Greets from Istanbul, Turkey.

JS

Jan 13, 2020

A very helpful code which allows you to learn the simple of JavaScript HTML and CSS. Very helpful in building websites and an excellent course for beginners or even people who have never coded before.

1651 - 1675 of 2,290 Reviews for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

By Dimas F

Dec 10, 2015

o

By Pranav B

May 04, 2020

Before I get to the good part, please take note of this.

Caution: Do not take this course if your sole purpose is to learn HTML, CSS, JS. There are much better and comprehensive courses available to do that. This can be a good course if you plan to pursue the specialization. It introduces you to computational thinking and the skills you learn are transferable. The mini-projects are fun to do and you have lot's of ways to tread the road less taken. (Go wild! Even with limited knowledge of JS you can still explore a lot. The scope is endless)The learning curve is steep if you only consider HTML and CS. At a lot of times, you will be on your own to discover more HTML elements and CSS features. Make sure you make good use of the DLTP platform. Their coding interface is extremely beginner-friendly and allows you the freedom to experiment. Overall a very good course for anyone looking to get started with programming (NOT HTML/CSS/JS)

By Brendan S

Oct 02, 2019

This course is a gentle, beginner-friendly intro to the basics of programming, via Javascript, HTML, and CSS. A few thoughts: (1) While the course focuses on "web" programming, there isn't really much focus on principles of good web page design or anything. The web page assignments are mostly just used as ways for beginners to create "real" web pages. (2) I think there's a good mix between the videos (which are short), the quizzes (not too long, and with plenty of chances to get them right), and the programming assignments (which are frequent and short, with clearly defined parameters). I spend the vast majority of this class actually writing programs (which is good!). (3) I think there might have been some room to (selectively) introduce more "advanced" elements from HTML, CSS, and Javascript. (I'm thinking here of optional readings or something).

By Siobhan H

Sep 18, 2020

While I think this course has a lot to offer, I felt like this wasn't a true beginner's course. There were many parts that could have been scaffolded by the teachers more with smaller practices. I felt like, even though I understood the material and got good scores on the quizes, I was often asked to create functions that I wasn't yet familiar with. In my opinion, I should be asked to practice and perform what has been discussed in the course and any further help or resources should not only be directed, but also explained. This course assumes that the student has a lot of prior knowledge and understanding of basic programming terms, syntax, and math. For what it's worth, I don't consider the quizes as exercises because they are graded. I did, however, enjoy the course and am happy with the progress I've made with the instructors' guidance.

By Dheeraj N

Dec 28, 2015

The course is great. Loved the HTML and CSS basics. I do have a couple of recommendations for javascript part.

There was no example of how to integrate javascript to an HTML page. i.e., just a small example of a web page where user can upload an image and then process it would give a complete understanding of javascript. I do understand that this specialization is for Java so you don't want to concentrate on js much but that would be helpful.

The steganography example seem a bit complicated for people who are new to programming. I personally loved it and in-fact found it very useful to not just program but also to learn more optimal programming but in the courses that I checked, most students seems to be struggling. You may want to revisit the video introducing steganography. I would still suggest you to keep this as part of curriculum.

By Paulina S

Oct 08, 2016

The programming environments used in this course probably won't be used in real life, they are used to get the very basics of programming.But I recommend it for absolute beginners with no knowledge of computer science whatsoever,someone who already knows at least one programming language already will probably be bored by the semantics, but what I really found useful was the step by step explanation on how how to solve programming problems, without using a block scheme or intuition.No teacher ever explained that in detail to me before.

I heard they are cutting out the steganography project, or adding it as something optional, but that was actually very fun, hiding images in other images, as though I was a spy, sending off a message that would save that world...But,laughs aside,it felt like I was doing something practical.

By John P

Jun 06, 2016

HTML, CSS and JS materials were covered and were made easy to understand. CodePen and the Write Your Own websites cooperate great with the course. The quizzes are simple while I found he coding practice challenging and yet not too difficult.

My only concern is whether the materials covered would help to build a realistic website, say, the homepage of Facebook or Google. It seems though I've finished the course, I still have no idea of how those webpages I see everyday works, let alone code them myself. The following courses in this series focus on Java, so ...

By the way, spending 2-3 hours for a week to finish it as soon may help against forgetting. HTML, CSS and JS seem disconnected before you make them cooperate. Cheers!

By Nelly T

Mar 14, 2016

interesting programming topics selected. Modifying image is something that everyone could relate to as everyone must have encountered with digital image before.

The use of pencode which is WYSIWYG editor makes it more interactive and current. A huge improvement from the plain, boring Python platform and text editor.

Most of the instructors facial expression are so dead, and flat-voice delivery makes it a chore to watch. Think how youtube tutorials engage their audience and makes it entertaining to watch. But maybe that's too much to ask for a traditional institutional lecture.

Overall, this is one of the best intro to programming video I have watched. The lessons choice are relevant and could be followed with ease.

By Gaylen C

Aug 27, 2017

The HTML and CSS sections were very easy but some of the JavaScript sections were hard to understand from someone who had never really seen JS before. So it might be good to have some background knowledge on the subject or to do extra research outside of the class if it isn't something you pick up on right away. But JavaScript is one of the hardest languages to understand in terms of programming, so I guess that's also normal. There just aren't a lot of examples in the first section of JavaScript so that can be frustrating. The instructors are helpful, however, so I recommend taking advantage of the forums because they're pretty awesome.

By Sridhar N S

Mar 22, 2020

The lecturers kept looking away from the camera (probably the prompter or slide not sure XD) which felt as if an unprepared student was giving a presentation in front of a class/audience.

The website/online IDE for this course - CodePen wasn't recognizing the JavaScript Library SimpleImage.js for some reason although i followed all the given instructions(to include the URL given by the lecturers in the <script> tag).

The lecturers can be a little less "dramatic".

The Lecturers explained every part of the code enlightening on the meaning and syntax of each and every keyword. I really learnt a lot from this course.

THANK YOU!!

By Jen P

Oct 21, 2016

The content was very useful, especially the lessons that focused on applying the scientific method to computer science. I liked the fact that most concepts were taught, and then reviewed again at the end of a video, solidifying what I learned. I did find the quality of the videos to be rather lacking. As someone who develops online courses for a living, I suggest using two cameras so that you can switch between two views when a cut is needed to prevent jumping or leaving mistakes in videos. The professors definitely seemed nervous, but I suppose that goes away with time. Thank you for this awesome course!

By Debjit D

Mar 17, 2020

Pros: 1) structured manner

2) extra /bonus challenges and study materials

3) questions are intermediate level and neither too basic nor too advanced

Cons: 1) If you want to learn HTML,CSS, JS in details then this is not for you.

2) this was more of a crash course rather than a basic course

3) this is definitely not for people who are just starting to learn these things, this course is for people who want to already have the basic knowledge

4) sometimes their code doesn't work on codepen, that is why they prefer their own environment/online platform

Jun 26, 2017

I would rate 5 but some exercises felt way to hard to figure out using just their resources, I had to rely more on other sources than I expected but I would rather have a course where the challenges are well explained and enough examples provided as tools to understand what we are learning and how our projects are supposed to work. The discussion forum is a great place to go figure out things, many times I got stuck I quickly could find other people having a similar issue most of the times. Great experience on my first course online and definitely considering taking the next one.

By Manuel A A T

Sep 28, 2016

Im very happy to see that the authors improved the course by actually showing the students how to integrate JS and HTML. I still can't understand why its not allowed the access to the projects to students that won't purchase the course. There are several of other courses @Coursera that require payment only if you want the certificate. I guess that hundreds of students would be happy to see that as the general procedure.

Thanks to all the authors for such a wonderful material. Im continuing to the 2nd level of the specialisation.

By Onyeka A

Oct 21, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, and all it had to offer regarding how to construct a webpage with HTML, design the elements using CSS, and add interactivity for the users of the webpage using JavaScript. I also really liked the end mini project. I do really wish there was live tutoring or something more immediate than the student forum to get immediate help when your code is not performing soundly and you've tried it all. Other than that, I highly recommend anyone who's brand new to coding/programming in general, start here!

By Daniel Y

Feb 03, 2016

Overall the course was great, with a nice variety of topics and plenty of time to complete it. Difficulty wise, the course was not difficult, however, some sections were a little bit confusing. Specifically regarding the JavaScript portion, some of the instructor videos that I viewed didn't really help and instead caused extensive use of outside for help. Sometimes the instructors would seem a little bit unprepared for the presentation as well, resulting in videos a little bit less polished than it could've been.

By Mujeeb A F

Jan 07, 2016

The course was really good. I am web application developer myself and I learned some new things here. One of the most important things that I learned here was Steganography. It was a new concept for me and I'm glad I learnt it. The JavaScript part of this course I must say, was very poor. It wasn't designed for beginners like the course mentioned. You could have taught some basic JavaScript stuff instead of just focusing on image manipulation. Anyways, great effort teachers! Thank You for teaching us.