Back to Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS by Duke University

Learn foundational programming concepts (e.g., functions, for loops, conditional statements) and how to solve problems like a programmer. In addition, learn basic web development as you build web pages using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. By the end of the course, will create a web page where others can upload their images and apply image filters that you create. After completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Think critically about how to solve a problem using programming; 2. Write JavaScript programs using functions, for loops, and conditional statements; 3. Use HTML to construct a web page with paragraphs, divs, images, links, and lists; 4. Add styles to a web page with CSS IDs and classes; and 5. Make a web page interactive with JavaScript commands like alert, onClick, onChange, adding input features like an image canvas, button, and slider....

IS
Oct 5, 2015

This is the first course I am taking in Coursera.org. The valuable instructors of Duke University designed and created a masterpiece for learners. Thank you so much guys. Greets from Istanbul, Turkey.

AD
Jul 16, 2020

Excellent course .\n\nJust felt that there should be examples that could help someone to understand in a more better way.The videos were good and were very simple and easy to understand then the text.

2551 - 2575 of 2,771 Reviews for Programming Foundations with JavaScript, HTML and CSS

By Matt J

Jul 7, 2017

The mini-projects in the course were fairly interesting as you get the opportunity to work with images which even as an experienced programmer is something you may rarely do. However, this course has no reason to be in a specialization on Java programming. Completing this course felt like somewhat of a waste of my time just to check it off for the specialization.

By Ryan R

Jan 19, 2020

A good course for introduction to concepts, the concepts are not very well flushed out in the lessons and leave the student having to search for other materials to learn the concept well enough to apply it. On the plus side that does help reinforce the material but the amount of time stated in the commitment brief is not correct for this course.

By Aanchal

Oct 8, 2020

This course is quite useful for the beginners. It gives a quick review about web programming. Teaching of HTML and CSS is very informative but I faced some difficulty in learning Javascript. I suggest you to teach it using codepen as HTML and CSS instead of using Duke Learning Environment initially. For me it was not easy to switch to codepen.

By Kaveh V

Feb 15, 2016

This course was okay at best. The last two weeks focused too much on image functions and making. While I get that this can be a 'fun and practical' example, it became stale and annoying. It was more stressful than anything else. I really hope the future classes in the Specialization aren't designed in the same way. Variety is not a bad thing.

By Lim Y L

Aug 1, 2017

It is a good introduction into programming. The lessons are based on projects and is more practical than theoretical. This is also a problem and challenge for those who are complete beginners. I spent way more time in the course than the stipulated time. For those with zero knowledge, you had to rely on other resources to get you through it.

By bee

Nov 3, 2020

Several typos in the course threw me off, and there were some concepts and code I had to use that hadn't been directly covered and as someone who needs a strict curriculum I struggled understanding how certain parts of code worked. However I think that the video lesson were really good with explaining concepts without being convoluted.

By Mike P

Nov 29, 2020

This course was very comprehensive and helped me to understand JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and coding altogether. The only downside was that I felt as though the discussion forums were not at all helpful. I didn't get any help when it came to the Try it Yourself Assignments even though I posted my issues in the discussion forum often.

By Sarah P

Jul 22, 2021

Good, but at times it goes into extensive detail about pretty easy concepts while breezing over more difficult ones without explaining things fully. As material gets harder, a teacher should think where the students mind might be, and make analogies to help them along. The course was somewhat lacking in this regard.

By Purab G

Oct 11, 2016

For the eager student maybe some more resources should have been shared. I was hoping to learn some production quality environment basics e.g. the ideal editor, best practices etc.

That said- I really liked how the 3 components, css, js and html were stitched together to help understand interactive webpages using js.

By Gabriel S C

Apr 2, 2020

The use of Codepen to write code instead of a normal IDE was really confusing and the fact that the teacher doesn't write the code while explains it, instead, the full code appears out of nowhere. Despite that, the teachers are good, I just didn't found a purpose in putting this course in a java specialization.

By Marta S

Jun 26, 2020

Week 1 is very good and you feel like you will really understand all this! Week 2 and 3 are just very complicated and not for beginners at all! This course requires a lot of time investment outside the course hours - a lot of research and time. Javascrip should have been explained in a more detailed way.

By huda s

Dec 11, 2015

thank u so mach for this course it was simple and pretty good for the first 2 weeks i really enjoyed it :) ; but the other two weeks though ... i had a hard time there , if you try to improve it , the js wasn't understandable at all or at least mention in the course info that js background needed !!

By Srini M

Feb 3, 2016

it started off as being for beginners but after a while it was rushed and made it extremely difficult for beginners to keep up. Please dont just tell the student to go and write the code for something without giving a hint. Also, there were math mistakes in the course material that are easy to fix.

By pranav r

Sep 25, 2018

Some Teachers did have good explaining power but some not. While This course was interesting for me. This course of html,css was not complete. Here the part of css was not described good.They were just focused on green screen effect and images. None of them Explained how to design the webpage.

By Heather C W

Jun 25, 2017

Good course in theory, but there's no way to enforce students actually completing the assignments. I didn't feel challenged by the material, or encouraged to do the assignments. I knew enough about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript from another course, that this course didn't teach me anything new.

By Derek B

Aug 27, 2020

I enjoyed week one a lot, but after that you need a fair amount Javascript knowledge to follow along. I decided to not complete the course as it was no longer worth my time at that point. If you do know Javascript you should be ok, if not I'd stay away from this class until you do.

By Roberto R

Nov 8, 2016

Moderator answer in a very short time. I was impressed of that. I think the course should add a video to explain more in details some concept as variables. many of my issues were coming from deep doubts i had about this. maybe explain variables on hardware and variables as pointers.

By Rohan G

Jun 25, 2019

I Found this course to be interesting at the start. As I gradually completed all my videos and exercises from week 1 and moved to week 2, I found some contents being difficult to understand. Now, I don't know if I'm the only one, but some concepts were left not explained in week 2.

By HUMBERT C

Feb 29, 2016

Good overall but the content uses library and other content that make it hard to apply the technologies to the real world, an emphasis on orienting the content to 'from scratch development' would be duly appreciated I think. Nevertheless interesting and well presented over all.

By José F G C

Jun 5, 2020

Muy bueno en cuestión de contenido, realmente aporta una mirada básica pero a la vez compleja de la programación con HTML, JavaScript y CSS. Sería bueno poder arreglar algunos bugs que hay en los quiz y ser más específicos en algunas partes que es necesario para los trabajos.

By Zaheer A

Jul 13, 2020

The teachers and instructors really should make better videos and stop giving peer edit assignment when people are picky and do not grade your assignment. The instructors should also give their contacts to let their students contact them when the discussion forums don't work

By Numan N

A good course for an absolute beginner, but skips over quite a few important topics and details. Would rather recommend the course by John Hopkins Uni (Prof. Yaakov is simply amazing) if you would like to learn even more, like about GitHub, bootstrap, dynamic websites, etc.

By Ahamed

Jan 19, 2017

student needs to read a lot out of this course in order to solve the exercises!

the course materials are not enough, and they focus more on images, while this entire course for beginners level, it should be fundamental stuff.

overall the course is good but needs more changes

By Dimu C

May 5, 2019

I find this course a little bit difficult to understand and maybe not so well organised. I don't know if I just had issues with my english or it was not the best course structure. I will try the next course with Java specialisation and I will see. Regards. Catalin Dimu

By Mohamad W

Sep 28, 2020

It's a good course and I have learned the basics about HTML and CSS, but the lesson about the green background alghorithm it was difficult and I couldn't understand, also the third and 4th week's lessons weren't easy to understand.