Back to Paleontology: Early Vertebrate Evolution

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Paleontology: Early Vertebrate Evolution by University of Alberta

Paleontology: Early Vertebrate Evolution is a four-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of the origin of vertebrates. Students will explore the diversity of Palaeozoic lineages within a phylogenetic and evolutionary framework. This course examines the evolution of major vertebrate novelties including the origin of fins, jaws, and tetrapod limbs. Students also explore key Canadian fossil localities, including the Burgess Shale (British Columbia), Miguasha (Quebec), and Man On The Hill (Northwest Territories). Watch a preview of the course here: https://uofa.ualberta.ca/courses/paleontology-vertebrate-evolution...

TO
Jun 20, 2016

WOW, I learned a lot form this and it was fairly educational but not overwhelming or difficult. This instructor really gets the points across without being to easy or hard. A very good class.

JC
Mar 2, 2018

Celebrate your inner fish as you swim along with this awesome course charting our earliest ancestors. Very well constructed and delivered once again by the team at the University of Alberta.

26 - 50 of 247 Reviews for Paleontology: Early Vertebrate Evolution

By Don M

May 20, 2016

I originally took Dino 101 as a U of A MOOC and found it very worthwhile -- and challenging. Paleontology: Early Vertebrate Evolution was equally interesting and challenging. As the opportunity presents itself, I will explore taking other MOOCs in Paleontology.

By Brietta D

Nov 22, 2019

Awesome course! I love paleontology and was very excited to find a practical course! It was a great course for my level, easy to understand but not tedious with explanation. you can tell the teacher loves this field. I would love a continuation of this course!

By Nilanjan C

Jun 9, 2020

It was a really fascinating journey just a suggestion can their be a more diagrammatic way of representing the bone structures then it will be really helpful. Otherwise loved the course and learnt a lot about the first evolutionary steps. Thank you.

By Thian Q Z

Oct 23, 2020

I have learnt so much from this course as it is very comprehensive and well-organised with great visualization. I definitely recommend this course to students who have an interest in paleontology, even to those who are new to this field.

By Kati U

Jul 5, 2020

This course has only deepened my love for Paleontology! The instructor was awesome, kept me focused with his energy, and moved at a realistic [speaking] pace. I have nothing negative to say, and I can't wait to move on to another course!

By Emily C

Apr 2, 2020

Really enjoyed the course, learned a lot about vertebrate evolution. As an example, the purpose of the notochord makes so much more sense now, rather than as an evolutionary remnant as it's so often presented in embryology texts/classes.

By Sathvik

Aug 27, 2020

The course was really wonderful and the concepts that were explained were amazing. The only problem was that the subtitles don't usually match up with that of the voiceover. A job well done in other aspects. thank you sir, and the crew.

By Arion N C

Jun 27, 2020

One of the best ways to understand early vertebrate evolution that was seldom talk about. If you need an introduction to Paleozoic vertebrate and how their evolution would affect reflect on us, this is the best course online for you.

By Afreen P S

Sep 27, 2020

It was a good experience to get to know about how the first forms of life originated to later form the present vertebrates. It was exciting just as much as the previous MOOC presented by the University of Alberta. Thank you guys!

By Aneirin C P

Oct 19, 2019

I absolutely loved this course. I took it to deepen my knowledge of paleontology because it is part of my job in the museum I work in, but it made me want to learn more about aspects of paleontology that I have not yet explored.

By jonathan f

May 1, 2016

This class was very interesting and explained things clearly. I already had a bit of knowledge about this subject but this course taught me new things and connected the things I already knew to these new thoughts. Thank you!

By Eliina U

Nov 22, 2020

A very energetic host, good graphics, great for a layperson who's into paleontology as a hobby and wants to know more about the details of a particular era. Very informative on paleozoic american fossil sites. Thank you!

By Иво Д ( D

Apr 28, 2019

Great course! Explained with simple words which is great for people from other countries. The illustrations were awesome and the professor is very positive. Thank you for your amazing work! Salute from Bulgaria!

By Victoria S

Aug 2, 2020

Really enjoyed this course. The presenter in the videos was great at being both engaging but not taking away from the information being presented. The visuals were relevant but not distracting. I learned a lot.

By Carol B

Jun 24, 2017

Excellent videos, clear evidence of evolution and why certain adaptations were advantageous. Notes are very high quality and the pacing of material and interactive questions keep you engaged from week to week.

By Will G

Feb 18, 2017

A very enjoyable course. Fantastic for those who want to learn about early vertebrates, particularlly those thar gave rise to tetrapods. While a small amount of biological and geological knowledge is useful, s

By Glenn P

Apr 18, 2016

Enjoyed the class, only part that was bad is I couldn't do any of the quizzes. I can't afford the cost. Other then that the class was very informative and I found it very entertaining as well. Thank you.

By William L G J

I really like this short digital course. It is a really nice way to improve your language skills, while you are learning many things on Science and Paleontology! Nice to see more easily your inner fish!

By Carlos G

Jun 23, 2017

Very good the course, I consider it a personal training material of great value for those who like this science but unfortunately we can not access them in our country, as it is in Venezuela. Thank you.

By Ïan B

Jul 2, 2018

Excellent ! I have invented a joke for you. Sure it is better in French (I'm a Parisian woman) but it can be understand in English I hope :BONY AND CLADE !Thank you very much ! I love my inner fish !

By Santiago J L R

Jul 16, 2020

Gran curso, formación muy correcta con información de muy buena calidad. Lo recomiendo 100%

Great course, the formation is very correct with hight good cuality information. I would recomended it 100%

By timothy j o

Jun 21, 2016

By Jennifer C

Mar 3, 2018

By Timi A

May 26, 2018

Great short course, perfect for an introduction into early vertebrate evolution. I recommend taking the other Palaeontology courses by this university on this site if you haven't already.

By Giles S

Sep 16, 2018

This course was very informative and I enjoyed learning about the far past of vertebrates. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in paleontology and the history of life.