Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Music Theory by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

Aug 22, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

GE
Apr 1, 2021

Very good course which hammers home the essentials.\n\nGood enthusiastic lecturing and importantly on completion progressed onto Coursera Musicianship Specialisation which I have now almost completed

151 - 175 of 436 Reviews for Fundamentals of Music Theory

By Eloy S M L

Mar 15, 2017

Excellent!

Not so easy for begginers.

Very Useful. After this course I can explore many new possibilities.

By Oranee M S

Feb 20, 2021

This was a very informative and intense course . I learned a lot that I didn't know about Music Theory.

By Alex.Yu

Feb 1, 2018

It's really good if you want to step into the musical gate. And wish to have more and deeper contents.

By Alan C

Sep 8, 2021

I really enjoyed this course that imparted a good basic knowledge and understanding of music theory.

By Iván R

Nov 15, 2020

Learned a lot, very dynamic and entertaining. Totally recomended, specially if you don't read music

By Rahul B

Nov 8, 2019

Advisable and very good for the beginners, intermediates for students and as well as the teachers.

By Yuki I

Dec 17, 2017

Extremely difficult course, but it explains things very well, has a lot of personality and is fun.

By Cintli E R M

Oct 9, 2019

It is nice learning with them, it is smooth, still the information is very complete. Thanks.

By Angad B

Jul 31, 2019

A very nice course that taught me the basics and I think a bit of intermediate music Theory

By Filiz C

Jul 3, 2017

I had an music composition exam two weeks ago, this course so helped me. Thank you so much.

By samuel t r

May 3, 2017

Very challenging course, but I came away with far more knowledge than I entered it with.

By Walerson S C

Feb 21, 2017

Great course! Not too simple, not too complex. Approaches many things in a pleasant way.

By Carlos R S

Jan 15, 2021

Excellent course, excellent teachers!!! I learnt a lot, thank you so much to everyone

By Paula P

Mar 29, 2017

These professors do a wonderful job of breaking down difficult material. Thank you.

By Cynthya f

Sep 22, 2020

Me gusto mucho este curso, yo soy musico aficionado y aprendí muchas cosas útiles.

Feb 16, 2020

Excelente Curso, solo faltaría tener traducción para todos los módulos en español.

By Leandro F

Sep 7, 2017

Great course! It was very clarifying for me. Good initiation. Thank you very much!

By denise h

Feb 19, 2018

This is the best explanation one could ask for and understand EXCELLENT thank you

By Nicolle M

Jul 19, 2017

Perfect course for review Fundaments of Music Theory or to get started with them.

By Amanda M N B

Sep 1, 2020

I am very happy with the result. Thanks to the teachers for their teachings.

By Jay M R

Oct 24, 2019

Excellent course. It has inspired to continue to study the theory of Music.

By Marco F

May 25, 2018

Very difficult but rewarding! Great content and very knowledgeable teachers.

By 杨文奇

Feb 10, 2018

The course is great! But it might be a bit difficult for beginners like me.

By Jun N

Mar 7, 2021

Very helpful and they have tests which are actual challenges for learners.