Back to Fundamentals of Music Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Music Theory by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce students to the theory of music, providing them with the skills needed to read and write Western music notation, as well as to understand, analyse, and listen informedly. It will cover material such as pitches and scales, intervals, clefs, rhythm, form, meter, phrases and cadences, and basic harmony. This course covers the fundamentals of Western music theory, from the absolute basics to some more advanced concepts and, as such, is the perfect course for beginners and more experienced musicians alike. Follow us on twitter @musictheorymooc #edmusictheory...

Aug 22, 2017

It was a very nice course. We were able to understand the basics of music theory and how the notations and chords work. Thank you so much to the entire staff of Edinburgh University and Coursera..:-)

GE
Apr 1, 2021

Very good course which hammers home the essentials.\n\nGood enthusiastic lecturing and importantly on completion progressed onto Coursera Musicianship Specialisation which I have now almost completed

376 - 400 of 456 Reviews for Fundamentals of Music Theory

By Juan P T A

Aug 27, 2020

i didnt like the fact that use wikipedia as a reference

By Nery Y H A

Sep 21, 2020

Debería tener referencias de libros, no Wikipedia.

By Liwei Z

Mar 30, 2019

No explaination for the answers in quizs.

By Gurashis S

Apr 6, 2020

week 3 could have been elaborated more.

By Tansel S

Sep 5, 2017

A bit fast but extensive course.

By Gilbert P C

Feb 19, 2017

really helpful, but also tough

By Lemuel P

Jan 6, 2018

good.

By Aien K

Jun 2, 2021

Good

By James N B

Jun 2, 2020

I have very mixed feelings about this course. On the one hand it was rich with content, and proved a tough challenge for the its whole duration, managing to include a great deal of theory in a short space of time. I have learnt a lot from it so I can't fault it there. However, the course is strewn with small errors and mistakes, which did surprise me as I found myself quite often confused about something only to realize it was a mistake on their part. The other aspect that seriously lacks from this course is the communication with the "instructors". I say this because the videos were clearly filmed a while back and the content is not updated. Questions and doubts take several days to get answered and it just seems quite lazy in all honesty. In addition to this, none of the exams/tests are looked at by the instructors, not even the final exam, which is in fact marked by other students. So although the content is rich and well explained, it does not really feel like an active course, rather a series of YouTube videos with a few questions added in. If you are confident that you can solve doubts and issues yourself, then I highly recommend this course, however if you are a complete beginner and want more guidance, I would perhaps look elsewhere, or at least do this course with someone else.

By Louis O

Jan 5, 2017

Pretty good in overall, but there are a few points that could be improved:

- The content is taught in a weird order and the difficulty doesn't increase steadily. For example, week 4 and 5 feel like they have been made separately and about the same subject, but week 5 goes further. The last video of week 5 is interesting, but it seems improvised...

- There could be more examples, especially from modern music. John from week 5 uses examples from the Beatles, which is great, but he's the only one. Week 3 has pretty much no examples at all.

- Suppplementary material and notes are uneven from week to week. Week 2, 4 and especially 5 have good summaries of the videos and examples, but week 3 almost only has links to wikipedia...

- The final exam is VERY difficult. There are some crazy chords and rhythm to analyse and there are advanced questions on points which have been seen very quickly in the videos.

I can't really compare since I new some of the content of the class, but I think it's weel made for beginners as well as for intermediate musicians. But you'll probably need to do a bit of research yourself if you want to be ready for the exam.

By Matthew W

Oct 28, 2020

The first few weeks are at a good pace in my opinion. It's when you reach the last 3 weeks that the difficulty level jumps up drastically. There are a lot of assumptions on the teachers side that the students not only grasped the previous material, but that they can apply it to future lessons as if it is a first language. I did learn some things from this course, but I was lost by the end. i think some more in-depth videos, and maybe even another week or two of coursework, would have really helped to get the information across and to stick. I felt like they spent more time teaching the basics than they did the more advanced stuff, and I feel like if anything, it should have been the other way around.

By Jorge A

Jul 16, 2020

The idea of the course is pretty well organised until you arrive to week 4, when the extension of the explanations do not match the importance they give to them. In upcoming weeks, they expect yo to know a lot more that it has been explained about certain topics. Meanwhile, some videos are overlapping and going too much in depth in subjects that are not key in the development of the topic.

Also, the technical quality of some of the videos (and their audios) are a lower than expected.

To summarise, I am happy I took the course because I strengthen and remembered some concepts in which I was rusty, but I would have appreciated a better structuring of the syllabus.

By Aniketh K

Oct 29, 2021

Definitely not for beginners. Although the first two weeks may seem alright, the following weeks are very difficult to understand as everything is rushed through. The final tests almost seemed impossible for me to clear but I've managed to clear it finally within time. I have a small background in music and yet I struggled. So please do not think that you can take this course lightly. If you have some background knowledge, you can do it without much issues. Else it's not such a good choice. I repeat, please note that this is NOT a course for beginners. Happy learning :)

By Andrew M

The course is really a challenge and should not be labelled 'for beginners' in my opinion. Worth persisting though but no way is it 8 hours, you need to commit to additional research and reading outside of the material and be prepared for several resits if you have no formal music training or qualifications behind you. Having said that I really enjoyed completing it and valued the learning which I have applied together with a parallel guitar course also from Coursera. Thank you for this opportunity if your keen and committed, go for it.

By tim f

Mar 14, 2017

It was good, and i learnt a lot, but it vexed me that in the first lesson they stated you didn't need to read music to get on with the course, but everything from then on seemed to require reading music including an very difficult final test reading some complicated Beethoven apparently! I understand why they did it that way, as they are used to reading music, but music can also be described as actual note names and the theory will be learnt nevertheless, without the massive barrier of having to translate it all from musical notation.