Back to Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity by Stanford University

In this course we will seek to “understand Einstein,” especially focusing on the special theory of relativity that Albert Einstein, as a twenty-six year old patent clerk, introduced in his “miracle year” of 1905. Our goal will be to go behind the myth-making and beyond the popularized presentations of relativity in order to gain a deeper understanding of both Einstein the person and the concepts, predictions, and strange paradoxes of his theory. Some of the questions we will address include: How did Einstein come up with his ideas? What was the nature of his genius? What is the meaning of relativity? What’s “special” about the special theory of relativity? Why did the theory initially seem to be dead on arrival? What does it mean to say that time is the “fourth dimension”? Can time actually run more slowly for one person than another, and the size of things change depending on their velocity? Is time travel possible, and if so, how? Why can’t things travel faster than the speed of light? Is it possible to travel to the center of the galaxy and return in one lifetime? Is there any evidence that definitively confirms the theory, or is it mainly speculation? Why didn’t Einstein win the Nobel Prize for the theory of relativity? About the instructor: Dr. Larry Lagerstrom is the Director of Academic Programs at Stanford University’s Center for Professional Development, which offers graduate certificates in subjects such as artificial intelligence, cyber security, data mining, nanotechnology, innovation, and management science. He holds degrees in physics, mathematics, and the history of science, has published a book and a TED Ed video on "Young Einstein: From the Doxerl Affair to the Miracle Year," and has had over 30,000 students worldwide enroll in his online course on the special theory of relativity (this course!)....

BH

Jun 23, 2017

This course is very comprehensive and well prepared material for understanding the Special Theory of Relativity. Larry (the instructor) is very expert and has broad knowledge in explaining the course.

JJ

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks for helping me understand the Special Theory of Relativity, covered a lot of ground but repeated it so it really could sink in. Like your style and want to thank you for your assistance. Thanks

226 - 250 of 710 Reviews for Understanding Einstein: The Special Theory of Relativity

By Nimish P

Jul 26, 2020

Very well Taught & Explained by Prof. Larry Lagerstrom. Thank you a lot for this effort to everyone including the Professor, the University & Coursera for such convenient & Flexible method of teaching such complex ideas.

By Jayshil P

May 14, 2017

I think this the best course for beginners who want to learn special relativity qualitatively. This course contains least mathematics. But, then also, you can learn concepts of relativity very easily without mathematics.

By Mathieu L

Sep 08, 2020

Really nice course, the teacher explains well and his clear. Mathematic aspects are not too difficult to understand. I really enjoyed this course and have a much better understanding of the special Theory of Relativity.

By Daniel S M

Oct 08, 2020

I am very happy with this course. I am a physicist and I learned too much, I think the best way to learn a theory is in a historical context. I recommend this course. I expect you open the course on general relativity.

By Sachin

Apr 27, 2018

This course really explained well "The Special Theory Of Relativity". In addition to that you can also learn that how theories develop step by step, measurement. Also I got know a lot of things about Albert Einstein.

By André B

The way the course is given, clear and slow paced, makes it easy to understand the topic for someone who hasn't done math for a long time. Which was good for me since I did the course for fun and not career related.

By Roger P

Aug 16, 2018

This was a great course and Larry Lagerstrom is a wonderful teacher. I would thoroughly recommend this course to anyone interested in Einstein's Special Theory and I'm hoping that Larry will do more physics courses.

By Andrea P

Dec 20, 2017

The way topics are presented is so fluid (and for the general public) that it is impossible not to follow the roadmap and conclude the course with few but very sound concepts about the special theory of relativity.

By Yves G

Mar 28, 2019

Thanks to the professor

Larry Randles Lagerstrom for this high quality course. I had exciting moments during class. It is hoped that one day humanity will become a stellar civilization ... Again thank you very much

By Anil

May 25, 2017

This is one of the best course I have a taken in a while. Thank you to the Prof to make this learning experience one of the best so far, Can't imagine anyone else explaining the same material which such clarity!!!

By VJM P

Feb 05, 2017

This course helped me understanding many concepts of The Special Theory of Relativity. I recommend it particularly to high school students. Thank you very much to the teacher and all that contributed for that job.

By Joe D

Jul 06, 2020

Great class! My favorite part was the first 3 chapters regarding Einstein's background history. I don't have much of a science background so I did get a little lost later on in the course, but I still enjoyed it!

By Haithem M

Apr 15, 2020

THANK YOU PROFESSOR for your efforts, your presentation made me want to study all the physics now, I'm not finished with the course yet but I couldn't wait to thank you Coursera team, this website is a blessing !

By Aref H

May 09, 2020

Excellent course. I particularly appreciated the step by step approach with frequent stops to go back and patiently review points which may not have been easy to digest. Prof Langstrom is the perfect instructor.

By DJ W

Apr 18, 2018

Best course I've taken so far! Extremely enjoyable. Prof. Larry is gifted with the way of explanations, I just get on watch his lectures instead of Netflixing because it was more entertaining. Thank you so much!

By Jaume R B

Aug 09, 2019

A fantastic course if you want to understand in a more detailed view of the Special theory of Relativity. The concepts are explained in a clear way and the profesor really transmits his passion to the students.

By Jayendra B

Sep 17, 2017

excellent course ...... i thank stanford for making a course like this ! its like my dream to do p.hd in the field of theory of reletivity so this was being like my first step towards my goal.....! thank you.

By Kaushik K

Apr 12, 2020

If anyone who has a little bit of knowledge of basic physics, he or she can easily complete this course. After completing this i have started thinking differently about the strategies of solving str problems.

By JOSEPH

Jul 17, 2020

Splendid course. Congrats to the instructor who made it very clear even for a non native English person. I would strongly recommend this trip to anyone willing to understand the world through Einstein genius

By Peter W

Aug 08, 2017

Anyone that has been interested in Special Relativity and has not pursued the subject; this is the place to start.

The course leader Larry Randles Lagerstrom is most professional; indeed he is first class.

By Marta F

Jul 21, 2017

Brilliant. Fantastic teacher. And I'm not good at maths at all but I came away with quite a respectable understanding of the underlying notions of Special Relativity which is exactly what I was looking for.

By SAPTARSHI G D

Oct 12, 2020

this was a phenomenal journey. I do not have enough words to express my gratitude. thank you so much for uploading this course here. i request the authority to upload more physics courses on this website.

By Antonio g d

Jun 04, 2020

Perdon por escribir en español :

Me ha gustado mucho el curso . Me hubiera gustado algun tema de teoria de a relatividad general auque se que para ello hay que dar primero algun tema de calculo tensorial

By Srivatsa

Dec 19, 2017

Very carefully crafted course by Prof. Lagerstrom, starts with basic concepts so that every curious mind could grasp it. Always wanted to learn about Einstein's special relativity theory & now I know it.

By chhatrapati s

Feb 27, 2017

it is one of the most hard and confusing topic on the physic . But the professor makes us very clear about the ideas of the relativity around the world

I recommend everyone to know about relativity once .