Back to Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

For a sample of what this course will include, see the video "Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life MOOC with University of Illinois Professor David Ruzic" - http://go.citl.illinois.edu/Energy-MOOC This course teaches you everything you need to know about energy, the environment, and at least a number of things in everyday life. It starts by talking about energy itself and where it comes from. This includes how much we have, who has it, who uses it, and what that all means. The video clips are produced in a fast-paced multimedia format during which Professor Ruzic throws in fun and demonstrations. There are multiple-choice questions to check your understanding and some more in-depth exercises to guide you deeper into the subject. After explaining the main things we use energy for – our cars and electronics! – fossil fuels are examined in detail. Want to really learn about fracking or pipelines? Watch these segments. The environmental effects of fossil fuels are taught as well. Global warming, acid rain, and geoengineering all are in this part of the course. Part of their solution is too. Renewables follow, with clips on solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, biofuels, etc. You’ll even see Professor Ruzic in a corn field and in the middle of a stream showing how you could dam it up. Finally, nuclear power is taught in detail – how it really works and what happens when it doesn’t work, as in Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima, as well as how we are making it today, which is shown here without political preconceptions. In this course, economics takes center stage. People will ultimately do whatever costs the least, so energy policy is most effective when it is targeted at the user’s wallet. Throughout the course there are 24 segments on “How Things Work." These guides to everyday life are tremendously varied, covering everything from fireworks to making beer to what happens backstage at a theater. The course is designed to be enjoyable as well as informative. We hope you will take a look!...

YC

Jun 27, 2020

The best thing about this course is Prof. Ruzic. Thanks to him, I felt no problem in understanding concepts and the practical approach has helped me memorize lot of stuff.

MR

Jun 30, 2020

Just love to learn.. Professor was very interesting person with great attitude .

1 - 21 of 21 Reviews for Energy, Environment, and Everyday Life

By David D

Mar 06, 2018

Excellent effort! The course material spans a wide range of physics geared to the layman level but still enough depth to be worthwhile. Well presented and varied and especially nice to have 'test' questions and answers even if one didn't sign up to pay!

By Nazif H

Mar 27, 2020

Thanks for given me opportunity to learnt the course

By Tushar K

Aug 16, 2018

Great course by Prof. Ruzic. Very well explained, fun assignments as well.

By Jialiang C

Jun 17, 2018

Excellent course and really enjoyable

By Farhan A

Aug 16, 2019

Awesome Course!!!

By SURENDRA L

Oct 11, 2017

Wonderful course

By Khaled A R

Jul 24, 2019

I missed an assignment due to technical issue with no response from the course team (the excel sheet of the assignment was password protected. I posted a thread to ask for help and no one responded). I was very enthusiastic about the progress i was making until this happened.

By Charles A

Jul 12, 2020

I can use what I learned in this course in both my personal and professional life. It has broadened my knowledge of energy creation and usage in the world. It also has deepened my knowledge of the pro's and con's of using different types of energy, and how economics drives our choices.

By Rituraj D

Jul 08, 2020

Great course to learn about the current day scenario of energy. Though it is mainly about the status in US as the university is there but it gave me many new things to study upon and I learnt many things.

By Y V S C

Jun 27, 2020

By Mustafizur R

Jun 30, 2020

By Vipul A

Jun 19, 2020

Brilliant course ,assignment done with great enthusiasm..

By Chew Y X

Apr 11, 2020

good topics

By Nilanjan D

Jul 21, 2020

GOOD

By sivaguru m

Jul 06, 2020

Good

By Chow Y S

Jun 08, 2020

A very good course for general knowledge

By Kua H Y M