Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

JG
Aug 17, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

VM
Apr 9, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

26 - 50 of 3,410 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Dariana D M

May 5, 2020

This is a very helpful course. I had already gotten a TESOL certificate, but this one taught things that the other course I studied didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn more about teaching or is new to the whole concept!

By Matome T

Mar 13, 2021

I had fun enrolling on this course and it's very insightful. And Keep the great work, Dr Shane Dixon. I can't wait to complete the rest of the courses so that I get my professional certificate. Thanks

By subashini s

Nov 1, 2017

Fantastic course. We learn a lot without feeling overwhelmed in any way because the course has been structured beautifully to convey information in a clear and concise manner.

Highly recommend!

By Sayli T

Nov 29, 2018

The course is really helping me with strategies I can use in a diverse community. It is helping me understand my students better and encouraging me to take risks.

By Joshimar E d l R

Dec 22, 2018

Excelente curso aprendi mucho mas de lo que esperaba y perfeccione muchas tecnicas, muy recomendable para extender tu habilidades como maestro de ingles

By Jesús R S

Jul 25, 2020

very helpful and well explained

By Kristine K

Mar 14, 2016

I would give it 5 stars but , staff really needs to start reviewing assignments because there are a couple of bad apples copying the work of other students. We work hard and should not have our work plagiarized, but since it is peer review and not teacher graded, they get away with it.

By Tracie H

Jul 22, 2016

Content is too basic, seems unresearched. Instructor is distracting in manner in which he presents information - overemphasizes acting over content.

By Jedd C

Feb 13, 2017

low-level content for people with no teaching background

By Belinda N E

Dec 21, 2016

I highly recommend this course for those who wish to learn and teach English as a Second Language. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be in this program where I have learned a great deal right from the very beginning of this course up to the last discussion of the topic... that I couldn't help but finished the course earlier than the usual scheduled date... and that I have to rate this course TEN (from 1-10 where ten is the highest). It was such a nice experience to learn something new, or even if some aspects I learned it before but I have gained a tremendous, in-depth knowledge and solid foundation about this course: like the use of metaphors, the Grasser's theory of intrinsic motivation, the Vygostky's scaffolding, Body Language and the teachers talk, the i+1 learning, the 80/20 rule, the diffuse mode and focused mode of learning and more!. And one thing that I really enjoyed more was the assumptions or the essential questions in the assignment which involved critical thinking. Thank you so much for this course, and to all the staff who created this language learning website, to the staff behind the scene and especially to Dr. Shane Dixon thank you for generously sharing your knowledge and expertise on this field. I salute you! Very impressive!!! Thank you!

By Hala L

Aug 11, 2019

Teachers should be aware of the basic language learning the understanding of basic techniques on how to make the meaning clear, how to help motivate students by improving teacher's talk, scaffolding and body talk. I like the use of metaphors all over the modules. New theories of learning like Vygotsky and Krashen of leaning zones and Glasser of intrinsic motivation. Teachers talk strategies of focusing on meaning using signpost expressions I learned a lot about acquisition versus learning and the two different modes of the focused and diffuse mode. I learned how to create and change the environment of learning. It was a good idea to talk about language as a stage with a relation of self-awareness and the affective filter . Good language learners of predicting using selective attention prepare, look ridiculous, practice, ask the question, take notes. learners need not just to learn, but how to learn. We faced the problem of time learning at schools. The importance of the role of teachers to empower students to go outside to the global community supported by successful teachers.The best expression for me when teachers represent the candle to enlight the learner's way.

By Cristina S

Jul 30, 2020

I truly enjoyed this course. I learned a lot and it helped me understand the importance of techniques, student input, establishing a positive relationship,, and the importance of forming an autonomous learner. I liked the way the material was organized, it helped me understand better how language theories have evolved and how it's important to keep up with language theories and practices. The role of technology in language learning finally made a lot of sense! It really is a wonderful tool for both teacher and student. I hope to learn more about the resources offered by on line language publishers and educators. I would like to know more about using technology to enhance my teaching and how I can apply these tools to my daily teaching and planning. This course is really a gem. It's inspiring and very applicable to learning how to perform at your best as a language teacher. I look forward to the next course. Thank you all. Cristina Stern

By Harry S

May 3, 2017

Wow, I learned so much in this course. I was able to apply what I was learning every week to my teaching, and I am telling you every week I was seeing instant positive results in my classes by applying what I learned in this course. Freaking amazing, I was drowning so to speak up until I found this course because I was teaching but I didn't really know how to teach, but when you're abroad, the opportunity to teach is so available, people will hire you without much experience at all, but I found myself wanting to give more to my students than just a warm body in the room. I wanted to make it fun and interesting for them, and I wanted them to actually learn stuff too. I didn't quite know how to go about it, I didn't know which techniques were good and/or bad. This course, in a nutshell, taught me all of that and more. Great stuff, best money spent this year. So worth the money, seeing how much I got back from it immediately.

By Mileni D

May 29, 2017

This course is AMAZING!!! Dr. (but I think of him as Professor) Shane Dixon completely changed my perception of online courses - which I (given a couple previous experiences) assumed to be universally boring and impersonal. He makes each lesson exciting, engaging, easy to learn, relevant - and very much memorable. He uses video, images, storytelling, body language, all sorts of aids to get his points across and to make ideas stick in your mind. Frankly, he makes classes FUN, instead of a chore. Shane quickly becomes your favorite teacher, one that you would love to grab lunch with and have long discussions. My goal in taking this class is to eventually become a teacher; if I can become 1/3 as good as he is, I'll consider myself lucky! Thank you so much Shane, for teaching us how to be great teachers with your own example.

By Aly C

Aug 15, 2019

Great introduction to the foundations of language learning and teaching. If you apply yourself in the course, you will gain a lot out of it! (Use the learning strategies presented!) Taking notes and putting thought into the written assignments is worth it. I finished the course quickly, and am walking away with a number of valuable insights. I'm really looking forward to the second course. The only thing I would improve is that I'd like to see other students put more effort into their peer reviewed assignments. Sometimes it seems like people just write whatever is on their mind and they don't support their opinions with course materials. When students use course concepts to support their opinions, I have really appreciated their perspective and efforts to use what they learn to form answers to the questions.

By Kiki W

Sep 20, 2017

This course is presented very well. The team put together an effective presentation, in my opinion, of important techniques for teaching language. In addition to presenting the facts, the entire course serves as an example of the techniques taught in the class. The material was clear, thorough, and important. I enjoyed the videos and had no problem with the assignments; in addition, the peer reviews were very informative and provided other perspectives from students in many parts of the world. This was my favorite assignment because I liked learning from others, but it also highlights the importance of taking this class! What better example for the purpose of TESOL than to be able to communicate with others in the world! I'm encouraged to continue the program and feel great about the accomplishment.

By Judith C

Apr 7, 2021

This has been a fantastic little course and I felt very motivated to keep on doing it once I started, My head is full of the metaphors and snippets of information which made "the fundamentals" so much more memorable than dry theory or the same, old ESL teaching stuff you find online. I spent a month studying intensively for a CELTA qualification a couple of years ago and I can honestly say, I feel I have learned more useful information about actual teaching techniques and the needs of learners than I did in days of in-class time. I just loved the taxonomy summing up at the end which seemed almost poetic and left one with a strong metaphorical structure to start building a personal teaching philosophy on as it was hard to disagree with any of the points.

By Stéphanie S

Mar 5, 2021

This is the second certificate I do in the specialization "Teach English" now and, having completed various types of certificates on Coursera, I can assure you that was one of the best courses I have ever attended (I'm not even a teacher at the moment). I am a medical professional who has a deep interesting in communication, languages, teaching others and helping them understand hard concept so this course and specialization not only helps you in teaching others English but gives you didactic tools in general and tools to understand others. It even has a part on "self-care"/avoiding teacher burnout that anyone could use in any job that demands a high-level of self-investment in others. To all the wonderful teachers who created this course- THANK YOU.

By Alexandra M

Jun 17, 2020

Great course! I've always wanted to shift my career into teaching English language, but I've always been so intimidated (one reason is me being a non-native English speaker). I always felt that I wasn't cut out for the job. But getting through this course gave me the confidence and a push to go after what I really want. I must say, that it successfully enshrined the foundational principles that a teacher needs for teaching language. Even if this is an online course, even if I'm just watching the lessons from a small screen, Dr. Dixon's words really helped me lot in changing my perspective towards teaching profession. I just really hope I get to finish the whole course, and I look forward to where this might take me. Thank you so much!

By Paul A O

Sep 10, 2020

Wow!!!!! This is the most interesting course i have ever been privileged to receive. For me,from what i have experenced in this course,i can say in authority that,pursuing a course online is the most flexible and effective means of studies.I really enjoyed every module of the course.And my knowledge as a professional teacher has been deeply enhanced immensely.

The lecturers are very competent,efficient and effective in their fields.I wholeheartedly thank our affable,hardworking,and dedicated lecturers such as Dr Shane Dixon,Dr Andrea Haraway and the others who selflessly took us through this courrse successfully. It is my greatest wish that i could get privilege to complete the subsequent courses left successfully.

Thank you.

By Hina M

Jun 25, 2020

Hello everyone!

This is an absolutely fantastic course. The way all the basics are tied together makes this very important learning and brought varied aspects of teaching into proper focus. Though as someone who has been teaching English for a long time, I was aware of some of these techniques already, I have learnt a lot more in this course than I have in all those years. Dr. Shane Dixon's delivery is impeccable and so effective. It's motivating to hear that faculty as accomplished as Dr. Dixon and Andrea Haraway face these issues too. Anyone who takes joy and pride in teaching will benefit tremendously from this course. Thank you so much to everyone who has been part of putting together this course. Highly recommend!

By Maria_Samkova

Oct 16, 2017

I recommend this course to people who want to start or have just started the teaching career. The course is very encouraging. The metaphorical language used by professors facilitates understanding of the main teaching concepts and principles. I found metaphors of the week inspiring.

Suggested readings introduce the fundamentals of language learning and acquisition. Dr Krashen’s, Lev Vygotsky’s, and Bloom’s ideas are constantly retrieved thus easily acquired. Other readings contribute to understanding the teaching philosophy as well. At the end of the course I put together a list of effective teacher’s and learner’s techniques which I apply to task designing. I find my classes have more effective student engagement now.

By Şükrü O Ç

Apr 24, 2020

Hi I am Onur and I just finished my first courseon the way to have ASU TESOL Professional certificate. Frankly speaking the content of the course is one of the best among the other related courses yet it has some pros and cons.

Pros:

Great metaphors that you can use in your class,

Everything was explained in a very friendly way,

You don't have to spend lots of time by studying,

You surely will find great paragraphs about language learning issues,

Cons:

Feedback system for assignments was not as I thought, so do not wait for any kind of authoritive feedback,

Questions in the quiz part should have been more difficult , many of them can be answered with a little information

You can be a fan of Mr. Dixon :)

By Gwen R

Jul 1, 2020

I very much enjoyed my first Teach English Now! course, and intend to continue with the next 7 courses to complete my TESOL Certificate. I think that, although I don't generally enjoy watching videos, the videos were short enough to keep my interest, and the content was excellent. I did not become bored or tune out, it felt like all of the content was relevant, and the sequencing of the material worked well for me. My general feeling was that I was learning a lot in a short time, and I felt quite motivated to continue making progress. I attribute part of that to my level of interest in the topic, and part to the presentation and delivery of the course. Excited to continue. Thanks very much!

By Robert D D

Aug 14, 2018

For weeks, I scoured the internet trying to find an online TESOL/TEFL certificate that met my needs and it felt overwhelming. Some of them were extremely cheap, some were fairly expensive, but very few were offered fully online and endorsed by an accredited university. I graduated college last year and the memory of how those online courses were structured was still fresh in my mind. I was overjoyed to feel right at home with not only the format but the quality of content. Dr. Dixon reminds of professors I had in college and seems so approachable with his silliness and yet you can tell he has so much to offer. This is only the first course but I feel very confident going forward.