Back to Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Environmental law may be the one institution standing between us and planetary exhaustion. It is also an institution that needs to be reconciled with human liberty and economic aspirations. This course considers these issues and provides a tour though existing legal regimes governing pollution, water law, endangered species, toxic substances, environmental impact analyses, and environmental risk. Note: The Environmental Law & Policy Course will close for new learner enrollment on February 22, 2019. Learners who have already enrolled will continue to see it on their Coursera Dashboard as long as they remain enrolled in the course. If you are currently enrolled in this course, please see the announcement sent on February 19, 2019, for additional details....

LH

Apr 20, 2018

Incredible course with an engaging professor who makes you want to learn more with every lesson.\n\nThe best course I saw on Coursera and exactly what I would appreciate in any course, online or not.

MS

Jun 03, 2020

Really great class. Covers all the main topics of environmental law. The Professor is very interesting, informative, and clear. A great introductory class for environmental topics in the legal realm.

451 - 475 of 499 Reviews for Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy

By Nguyen T T

Aug 23, 2015

Thank you so much Prof for guiding us through a difficult yet an interesting topic. The course is well arranged in the way the choosen cases make it easier to understand the statutes, though it not that easy. I wish the course had brought in more international cases as the non-American students like me might be more intersted in.

I love this course, as well as the T- shirts and the tux :)

By Michael L

Feb 21, 2016

Instructor was very enthusiastic about the course, I thought it was well structured and it's good to get a framework for things. As someone who came in as pretty conservative leaning on the Environmental issue, it helps me become more knowledgeable about why the EPA can do the things it can, and a better understanding of how environmental law works. More information is always better!

By Sophie A

Aug 23, 2020

Good introduction to some of the fundamental ideas and formative cases in environmental law and policy. The professor was engaging and explained the concepts clearly.

I wished the quizzes and readings had been more challenging (and that the course was longer!). It would also be great to update the course with more recent information and cases that affect GHG emissions policy.

By Kandace S

Mar 03, 2017

Really informative and enlightening course! Prof Hornstein made the content easy to understand especially for those of us who don't have a law background. For anyone looking for some insight into environmental law, whether it's for your own general knowledge or if you want an idea of what studying environmental law entails, I'd definitely recommend it.

By Annie P

Nov 16, 2015

This is a very informative course that directly applies to many present-day environmental issues. If you're someone who has a passion for the environment and wants a better understanding of the underlying statutes framing these issues, take the course! It is heavily focused on United States law, but the basic concepts are universal.

By Rachel G

Jan 04, 2018

Overall an engaging and informative course, thank you! It was at the right level for me coming from a Geography background with little knowledge of Environmental Law. I would have enjoyed more international case studies. The course was made in around 2013 and, in places, would benefit from being updated / checked for typos.

By Patricia O

Dec 08, 2016

Great course on the basics of environmental law an policy, very easy to follow and enganging for the audience. Still, would suggest to update some issues e.g. GHG as the Paris Agreement was ratified recently. But overall I would recommend for everyone interested in environmental issues as it was a great introduction.

By Madelein W

Jul 19, 2020

I liked this course. I have a law degree from a different country and I completed mine many year ago. I wanted an overview of US environmental laws and just general positive law as it stands. This was a good course and interesting. My only critique would be that it seems somewhat dated... maybe 4-5 years?

By Rebecca P

Jun 25, 2017

Really enjoyed this course. It has definitely enhanced my understanding of the general mechanisms that govern environmental law and introduced me to a lot of important language for these concepts. Highly recommend for people affiliated with land management (I'm a park ranger).

By Urika H

Jul 20, 2018

In my junior year and I was over the fence on whether to consider Environmental Law as my guiding path and realised there wasn't a lot I had to carry further with it and this course was exactly what reaffirmed my passion for the environment and conservation through law.

By Tan W

Feb 12, 2017

Enjoyed learning about the different statuates and policies as well as how to read them. From those not from US and fear that the stuff learnt may not be as relevant, don't fret! What's introduced are major policies that are important to the global community!

By Victor H

Aug 18, 2018

This course help me to build the basic knowledge of US environmental law and its policy. By knowing, I can make the comparison with my local legal framework and analyse environmental problem with more perspectives

By Renato R

Nov 22, 2018

Interesting! The content is well structured, with case-by-case approach. It gives good insight into the general principles of environmental law. I would have expected a bit more insights into policy too.

By PRANJJALL S

Jun 08, 2020

Very informative course! I had fun learning the subject due to the teacher being so fun! Highly recommend this course if you're interested in learning about environmental law from the very basics!

By Chelsea K

Oct 05, 2016

This course was well organized and highlighted the most influential environmental law cases in the US. It would be great if the course could be updated to reflect the recent COP21-Paris Agreement

By Indumathi A

Jun 29, 2017

It was a good course, but I was little bit disappointed that it was very restricted to US only. I know the professor is from there, but a few cases from around the world would have been nice.

By Emily M

Aug 10, 2020

Great introduction to the world of environmental law; including landmark US cases that set the tone for current policy. Excellent conversationalist tone makes legalese easier to digest.

By chloe w

Aug 26, 2017

Would have been ideal to include case studies around the world. Entirely US based. Good in some circumstances I suppose! Overall very good course would recommend

By Ihintza

Jan 23, 2016

This course was well planned and dynamic. The professor extraordinary and presented all the topics in a way to make them even more interesting.

By Belle S

May 23, 2016

Very informative! Professor Hornstein makes the topics easy to understand & interesting despite little knowledge on environmental law.

By Louis-Philippe L

May 28, 2017

Friendly course to get an insight on Law and court procedures along with learning more about the environnement and its challenges.

By Alexandra C

May 14, 2020

Fantastic course, In the later chapters I'd appreciate a 2020 update on some of the environmental laws and regulations though

By Marcel T

Apr 16, 2016

A rewarding course. The professor's passion, energy and knowledge will enhance your learning experience on Environmental Law.

By Gudisa V K

May 02, 2020

I was very satisfied with this course because it described the system and policy regarding Environmental Law in india

By Parul K

Sep 20, 2018

The course should be updated to include the Paris Agreement 2015 and the developments after it.