Back to Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases by The Pennsylvania State University

Not so long ago, it was almost guaranteed that you would die of an infectious disease. In fact, had you been born just 150 years ago, your chances of dying of an infectious disease before you've reached the tender age of 5 would have been extremely high. Since then, science has come a long way in understanding infectious diseases - what they are, how they spread, and how they can be prevented. But diseases like HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, or the flu are still major killers worldwide, and novel emerging diseases are a constant threat to public health. In addition, the bugs are evolving. Antibiotics, our most potent weapon against bacterial infections, are losing their power because the bacteria are becoming resistant. In this course, we'll explore the major themes of infectious diseases dynamics. After we’ve covered the basics, we'll be looking at the dynamics of the flu, and why we're worried about flu pandemics. We'll be looking at the dynamics of childhood diseases such as measles and whooping cough, which were once considered almost eradicated, but are now making a comeback. We'll explore Malaria, and use it as a case study of the evolution of drug resistance. We'll even be looking at social networks - how diseases can spread from you to your friends to your friends' friends, and so on. And of course we’ll be talking about vaccination too. We’ll also be talking about how mobile phones, social media and crowdsourcing are revolutionizing disease surveillance, giving rise to a new field of digital epidemiology. And yes, we will be talking about Zombies - not human zombies, but zombie ants whose brains are hijacked by an infectious fungus. We're looking forward to having you join us for an exciting course!...

DB

Apr 23, 2016

Can't fault this course at all and nor would I want to. Very interesting, brilliantly presented and the range of experts really enhanced it. It was engaging and made me keen to find out more.

SN

Apr 12, 2016

great course and its intensive learning . One might think its just another course . However, one needs to follow all the lectures and notes closely to be able to pass all their assignments .

26 - 50 of 266 Reviews for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

By Sharik V V Z

Jul 11, 2019

Es un curso sumamente enriquecedor, posee componentes de vital importancia para el entendimiento de la dinámica de las enfermedades. Como estudiante de microbiología próxima a graduarse sinceramente encontré este curso como una manera muy óptima y entretenida de refrescar mis conocimientos. Muchas gracias.

By Przemysław M J

Aug 25, 2015

Great course! Concise form and presentations are very inspiring. The variety of covered topics is definitely impressive. Even I have strong experience in Public Health, I personally find this course as extremely useful and helping in clarifying some concepts of epidemiology and infectious diseases.

By Daniela V D

Nov 09, 2016

I loved it! there are no words to describe how much this course has complemented my college education and how has change the idea i had about infectious diseases. Now i wish to continue the study of the Neglected tropical diseases and apply that knowledge in my country and community. Thanks a lot.

By Zaki A

Dec 11, 2019

Insightful course explaining many different aspects of epidemiology, which I would have never thought were associated with the subject. Also tied in some history and an interesting fact about ants towards the end - both of which i found really interesting. Also, nice work on The Last of Us :)

By PRIYANKA M R

Jul 10, 2020

I'm very happy to have been learnt many important aspects of epidemics. I think it's really important to understand the dynamics of infectious diseases at this present age of many health related crisis. I'm very grateful to Coursera for giving me such a good platform to enhance my knowledge.

By GAURI C

May 14, 2020

The course was well defined and structured. I learned a lot of things about the epidemics which were prevalent or about the diseases which can occur in the future. The study is crucial to the current COVID 19 situation and certainly answers a lot of intriguing questions about it.

By Yoel C

Aug 12, 2016

Great course! I would like to thank the teachers for their awesome work in this course, it´s been a pleasure choosing Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases, so much that I will do my best to translate the course for the spanish speakers. Again, please continue teaching!

By enrico

Apr 28, 2016

One of the best course I've follow this year. The topic is really interesting, the lessons were simple to be followed and in the final lessons professors zere able to stimulate student's curiosity about the view of infection control in the future. Congratulations. Enrico Leott

By Carlos B P

Dec 13, 2015

Curso muy completo en el que con una carga de trabajo normal aprendes mucho sobre las Epidemias (desde su evolución en el pasado a la actualidad, como combatirlas e incluso el futuro de esta disciplina).

Si te gusta el tema de las enfermedad infecciosas lo recomiendo mucho.

By ABBA B

Oct 23, 2018

Ce cours m'a permis d'avoir une connaissance large sur la pathologie infectieuse ainsi que les mesures sanitaires à entreprendre c'est-à-dire l'utilisation des médicaments au moment où le besoin y est afin de bien les gérer sans être perturber les flores bactériennes.

By Zhang X

Oct 28, 2016

This is really an informative and inspiring course. It is a masterpiece of multidisciplinary work. Very precious video records worth spreading. Help us to think more about infectious diseases in the context of mathematics models and modern society. Thank you so much!

By Dyllon L

Mar 07, 2016

Very thorough and interactive. I appreciate the expertise from multiple backgrounds, which has allowed me, as someone inexperienced in epidemiology, to have a general understanding of the topic. Thank-you and I look forward to seeing more content from you!

By Ankush N

Jul 08, 2020

A very informative course, which will provide you the details about the epidemics, different diseases, its prevention, vaccination, control measures etc.

Also deals with some part of plant diseases like Irish potato famine, its eradication, elimination.

By Ameya T

May 26, 2017

Very innovative teaching methods with very interesting graphics. You don't see such a welcoming teaching method in India. I enjoyed the course thoroughly. Being a future scientist, I hope the diseases we hear of today are completely eradicated.

By Charles B

Sep 16, 2019

I learned much more than I expected and will continue to explore epidemiology because of this course. I am 78 years old and a retired clinical pharmacist but still find things like this subject fascinating. Thanks to the faculty...well done

By Tarek A E M

Aug 08, 2019

very very very useful course

i can not imagine that i can get all those data from one course although epidemiology is my specialitiy

the group discussion in the videos is very interesting

i also read some papers related to the subject

By Enrico P

Apr 07, 2020

Great course, great teachers. Mind opening and complete. Being a researcher and computer scientists I would have appreciated some insight on model equations, but this is something definitely I can easily do by myself now. Thanks!

By Giorgia B

Jan 28, 2019

I loved it. It's complete in every aspect, it explains deeply the whole problem of epidemics but at the same time it's not too difficult from who comes from different fields rather than medicine or biology. Really awesome course.

By Gina B

Oct 19, 2015

Really enjoyed the course format, information presented and the videos were fantastic. The discussions were lively and interesting as well . Had a great time learning about what may be the next big disaster heading our way!

By Kathy T

Oct 23, 2015

Top notch professors, amazing that you can get so much up-to-date relevant scientific information in a single course. Awesome course, recommend it for anyone remotely interested in health, disease, biology, social science.

By Dr. C R

Oct 29, 2019

Great overview of a trending topic with in-depth and insightful information relevant to today’s healthcare challenges. Course is well thought out, and professionally presented by a group of dedicated scholars...well done!

By Monika D

Aug 07, 2015

I really like the way the videos are prepared. It had to take a lot of work, but I love those drawings. It makes it look alive. I like the content as well. It is well structured and well presented. Thank you so much!!!!

By Jordan A

Nov 23, 2016

As a PhD student with knowledge on bacterial infections but little knowledge on viral infections and epidemiology, I found this really interesting. I very much enjoyed the course. Would highly recommend to a colleague.

By Tarik A

Mar 29, 2016

Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases by The Pennsylvania State University is one best courses on Coursera I have ever taken. It helps in identifying infectious diseases and their subsequent eradication.

By Robin B

Aug 20, 2015

So much current, usable, high quality education in this course. I will be watching future classes offered by these Professors. Thank you for your dedication to educate us in the subjects of your expertise!