Back to Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases by The Pennsylvania State University

Not so long ago, it was almost guaranteed that you would die of an infectious disease. In fact, had you been born just 150 years ago, your chances of dying of an infectious disease before you've reached the tender age of 5 would have been extremely high. Since then, science has come a long way in understanding infectious diseases - what they are, how they spread, and how they can be prevented. But diseases like HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, or the flu are still major killers worldwide, and novel emerging diseases are a constant threat to public health. In addition, the bugs are evolving. Antibiotics, our most potent weapon against bacterial infections, are losing their power because the bacteria are becoming resistant. In this course, we'll explore the major themes of infectious diseases dynamics. After we’ve covered the basics, we'll be looking at the dynamics of the flu, and why we're worried about flu pandemics. We'll be looking at the dynamics of childhood diseases such as measles and whooping cough, which were once considered almost eradicated, but are now making a comeback. We'll explore Malaria, and use it as a case study of the evolution of drug resistance. We'll even be looking at social networks - how diseases can spread from you to your friends to your friends' friends, and so on. And of course we’ll be talking about vaccination too. We’ll also be talking about how mobile phones, social media and crowdsourcing are revolutionizing disease surveillance, giving rise to a new field of digital epidemiology. And yes, we will be talking about Zombies - not human zombies, but zombie ants whose brains are hijacked by an infectious fungus. We're looking forward to having you join us for an exciting course!...

DB
Apr 22, 2016

Can't fault this course at all and nor would I want to. Very interesting, brilliantly presented and the range of experts really enhanced it. It was engaging and made me keen to find out more.

DJ
May 12, 2017

It is a wonderful course , I have gain and updated my Knowledge in the area of Epidemics and Infectious Disease, Thanks to the Course organizers and most effective presentations . Dr Shivaji

76 - 100 of 335 Reviews for Epidemics - the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases

By Douglas w

Apr 24, 2020

The instructors were very good and many of there examples were very interesting. Of particular interest to me, was the story of the Irish potato famine and the the zombie ants.

By Ahmad B

Apr 20, 2020

this course was the greatest course that i ever have been participated in , will organized , the information was easy to deliver and all teacher were great >>

really thank you

By Yisen D

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks for the vivid animation and fulfill content, now I have learned more about the epidemics. As the COVID-19 outbreak, we need to be prepared in both knowledge and action.

By MEERA K M

Aug 18, 2020

one of the Excellent short term course i had attended in my lifetime. Resource persons were so good and no words to say about their narrations about epidemics. Outstanding

By senerm s

Apr 22, 2020

Great course which teaches you the basics and gives you intermediate information about different infectious diseases. It helped me alot and i think it will also help you.

By Annabelle M

Apr 10, 2020

Great class! I found all the themes very interesting, the presentations were engaging, and it was nice to have some researchers talk about their work. Highly recommended!

By Abdulrahman M

Sep 1, 2015

Thank you to all the members of course on this great effort has been spectacular and of course benefited him a lot and was very entertaining explanation you are great

By Rupok C

Sep 19, 2020

Great to learn a very intuitive course. Instructors have shown historic backgrounds and illustrates the underlying cause-effect related to epidemiology and biology.

By Laura M

Aug 8, 2017

The first week gave me a lot of fundamental tools, im a biology student and i complete my normal pregrade education, THANKS for make this kind of courses can happen

By Prajwal K

Aug 18, 2019

The course was interesting and very well structured. I thank the Coursera team and as well as the instructors for their sharing their valuable time and knowledge.

By Daniela

Oct 17, 2015

It is great!. I have been learned about experiments that researchers have been developed to understand the interaction between the host and the infectious agent.

By Flo B

May 27, 2021

I found this course hugely interesting. It has given me a good grounding in a topic I find fascinating and has opened new avenues of research for me to explore.

By Anna I

Nov 4, 2015

Excellent class with a rich variety of instructors from multidisciplinary array of fields, lots of extra information and pretty much any question answered!

By ROBERTO D G L

Oct 24, 2020

excelente aprendí mucho sobre la dinámica de las enfermedades y afiance conocimientos muy concretos sobre como se comportan las enfermedades infecciosas

By Rameshwar R

Apr 14, 2020

Loved every minute of it, excellent content and masterfully delivered. I learnt a lot from it and feel encouraged to pursue it even further. Thank you

By David A R R

Mar 7, 2017

muy interesante e introductorio a la dinámica de la enfermedades infecciosas que abarca determinantes tanto biológicos como sociales. Muy recomendado.

By Dean C

Feb 29, 2016

Excellent course. The video lectures were outstanding, understandable and organized in a way that helped me digest all of the information presented.

By Michael C

Aug 19, 2021

I came across this video after finding it in the training section of MIDAS. Excellent faculty involved in creating these videos, excellent course.

By SUYEON B

Aug 8, 2019

Before entering my MPH course, I could grasp the concept of infectious disease control from your course. Thak you!

By Yaset C

Aug 20, 2018

The best course that I made. I like the class and the simply of concepts related with the dynamics of epidemic. I congratulate to Professors team.

By Louise J D

Dec 1, 2015

I enjoyed taking this course so much. The professors and students were great. I look forward to taking additional courses on infectious diseases.

By TYANN B

Sep 27, 2015

I really enjoyed this course and I will use this knowledge in my personal interests of the ecology of food and waterborne infectious disease.

By Tsveta D

May 23, 2020

Great course, providing a lot of valuable information about infectious diseases and keeping the student engaged during the learning process!

By SUHOTRO G

Learned a lot with respect to different aspects about infectious diseases which has helped to put in perspective about the latest disease

By Deanna C

Enjoyed the process of learning about infectious diseases with this class as it is currently in unison with our fight against Covid-19.