Back to Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Often called “the cornerstone” of public health, epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants of diseases, health conditions, or events among populations and the application of that study to control health problems. By applying the concepts learned in this course to current public health problems and issues, students will understand the practice of epidemiology as it relates to real life and makes for a better appreciation of public health programs and policies. This course explores public health issues like cardiovascular and infectious diseases – both locally and globally – through the lens of epidemiology....

N
Apr 11, 2020

Very clear teaching strategies from the instructors. Some quizzes though are a little bit hard on my part because of the type of questions and answers. But overall it is a great course to take with.

A

I just completed my course and I would like to appreciate the tutors for doing a great job, yeah! Also, I recommend Coursera for anyone who wants to experience advancement in knowledge and career.

101 - 125 of 957 Reviews for Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health

By Kelley R

Oct 27, 2015

Extremely well organized and informative. I loved the extra reading material provided as it was very straightforward and helpful for overall understanding of the concepts. I'm looking forward to learning more from the School of Public Health at UNC in the future.

By Shirley Z

Aug 20, 2019

I really appreciate this course and how simple and clear the concepts of ratio measures and how to work the formulas. I am "math challenged", so this was a wonderful thing for me to be able to work through that with relative ease. Thank you for a GREAT course!

By Muhamad E S

Sep 20, 2020

It is an amazing course. Both of the lectures tell the details about epidemiology, so the new learners, including me, can follow and understand the learning materials easily. Applause to University of Northern Carolina for making such an beneficial course.

By Leandro J B F

Apr 6, 2020

Extremely informative and enlightening for someone getting introduced to the field of epidemiology and public health. Questionnaires were intricate for the most part and really demanded a degree of thinking from us. Overall very satisfied with the course!

By Luciano A

Jul 13, 2020

I always struggled to understand some epidemiological concepts and, in consequence, my research article reading skills were very poor. The videos, articles, and comparative tables have been very useful...you will not regret doing this course. Great Job!

By Khelsea M

Jul 5, 2017

Information was engaging and clearly presented. I plan to continue seeking public health course/certificate opportunities to support my role as a nurse practitioner and global health advocate. Thank you so much for the opportunity to take this course!!

By Sabrina D S

Feb 25, 2020

This course will give you a general (but deep) view about epidemiology and help you to understand key concepts necessaries to any professional that wants to be more critical to interpret any information that read. I felt sad when the course finished :)

By Quek Q K

Very good introduction to public health. As a Biological Sciences student, I was introduced to One Health and this developed an interest in finding out more about public health! Thank you for explaining the concepts that make it easy to understand!

By Sofia Z

Nov 23, 2015

This course is exellent to have a complete vision of the field of Epidemiology. Iam considering myself studying a Master in this subject. The course gives you a great overview about what Epidemiology is , and I think they have achieved it very well

By Duong N C K

Jul 5, 2018

This course is very good and especially suitable for beginners. The course provides foundational knowledge of epidemiology in public health with clear explantion and many examples for clarification. Thank all of lecturers and Coursera platform. :)

By Gaudier

Jun 20, 2016

Great course! The course covers fundamental concepts and terms used within the field of epidemiology. It also strengthens the knowledge, understanding and design of the different types of studies that may be useful for scientists in basic science.

By Saida B

Aug 5, 2020

I liked the course because there were many examples of research. Given information was brief and precise. Tests were difficult but interesting. I am very glad that I took this course. I want to thank Dr. Karin Yeatts and Dr. Lorraine Alexander!

By Shekeira O

Nov 9, 2019

I found this to be an excellent review course to re-immerse myself into my Ph.D. epidemiology program. I highly recommend the course as a refresher to epidemiology, especially for those seeking to supplement their knowledge of epidemiology.

By Terrianna S

Oct 25, 2015

Excellent revision course for those who would have previously been introduced to Epidemiology and great for those who are now being introduced to the field.

Reviewing of the added reading materials is recommended for heightened comprehension.

By MD. J M

Apr 15, 2020

This course can give you the very basic knowledge about epidemiology. If you are a student of biological science, health science or public health, you should acquire knowledge about epidemiology and this course can give you a start.

By Xiaoge G

May 1, 2019

Concise and easy to follow. The course aroused my interest in Epidemiology and is not that difficult to beginners. It's a good start for those who have an intention to explore more in this filed or just get a general idea about it.

By Surbhi S

Feb 17, 2017

this course teaches precise and useful concepts of epidemiology. the way of teaching is simple yet understandable. thanks a lot to all the teachers for putting in their efforts and for providing us with an opportunity to learn it!

By Sagar L

Dec 26, 2020

Extremely helpful for the people who are new to the field of Epidemiology. Especially, the reading material provided within the course. It covers the essential topics in a very easy to understand language and is very informative.

By Kirsten O

Feb 7, 2016

I struggle with Epidemiology and Statistics, and this course helped me to get a better understanding of the teories of Epidemiology and helped me to use it in practic. Thank you for putting so much time in building these modules.

By Md. T H

Sep 29, 2020

I learnt epidemiological topic such as cohort study, ecology study , measures of frequency ,measures of association, measures of precision and their ratios details. It was very interesting to me.I will learn more in the future.

By Angie C

Jul 19, 2020

loved this class! learned so much about epidemiology during such a crucial time. I understand so much more about the behind the scenes, and hope to be able to advance my learning in epidemiology and public health in the future.

By Humberto G G

Jun 7, 2020

Excelente curso. Ofrece conocimientos básicos sobre epidemiología, pero no por ello carece de rigor. Para los que tienen conocimientos en economía, mucha de la metodología vista en el curso les será relativamente familiar.

By Diana A H

Nov 9, 2015

Excellent!! Now I understand more about Epidemiology!! I'm trying to get into a masters in Public Health or Healthcare Administration, so this will be really helpful to me!! I'll definitely search your graduate programs :)

By Romina V V

Dec 24, 2017

Realmente aprendí mucho con este curso. Me ayudó a entender las variables que se deben tener en cuenta para poder elegir un método de estudio sobre epidemiología en la población, algo en lo que realmente estoy interesada.

By Jennifer E

Mar 14, 2017

A great introduction to the field of epidemiology. The lectures are easy to follow and understand. I liked the examples, which also gave a good insight in studies and possible opportunities to apply the gained knowledge.