Back to Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach by University of London

This course explores ways of teaching reading skills in English as Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) using a task-based approach. You will be introduced to the concept of task and the key principles of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities. You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading. You will explore how TBLT and teaching second language reading can be successfully integrated in practice through analysing task-based reading materials. The course culminates in creating task-based materials for teaching reading in your own language teaching contexts. After completing the course, you will be able to: 1. Explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language; 2. Explain the main issues involved in teaching reading; 3. Illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading; 4. Integrate tasks into your own teaching; 5. Identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks; and 6. Construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom....

RY
Dec 19, 2018

The course has refreshed me on how to do Task based teaching in my classroom. The professors and guest speakers are all very helpful in giving new ideas for lesson plan. I really enjoy the lesson.

DA
Nov 20, 2018

An exceptional course which brings up really interesting, thought-provoking ideas about pedagogy and ELT. Well-researched, easy to understand, and has some great assignment topics. Loved it.

51 - 75 of 134 Reviews for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

By Karoll D T V

Jan 20, 2018

Just loved it! teachers do really master their subject, activities and tips are very useful. It promotes collaboration, and fosters self comitment and organisation.

By Aníbal L V

Aug 8, 2020

El curso estuvo excelente. Toda la información brindada es genial y me servirá para diversificar el trabajo con mis alumnos. Estoy muy contento por haberlo tomado.

By Noris E A L

Aug 14, 2020

It was well designed, and met all the objectives. I was able to follow the instructions and the contents were well structured. The time spent it was very useful.

By Charlotte P

Aug 9, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and feel that I have benefited from it! I've always been interested in the TBL approach, so this course was perfect for me. Thanks!

By Kelly R

May 9, 2020

I recommend it, but the subject deserves a deeper approach that seemed superficial due to the length of the lessons, not making the course superficial though.

By YUTA T

Aug 3, 2020

I am totally satisfied with the contents that UCL has provided. with. After taking this course, I obtained basic knowledge and motivation for moving forward.

By cameron g

Jun 19, 2020

I learned a great deal from the instructors. The assignments were well organized to reinforce the instruction. This was definitely worth the time.

By Litierio G

Jun 19, 2016

Awesome! It was great to see how texts can be approached, through different lens from our cameras in the lessons. I definitelly recommend it!

By Meena B

Sep 24, 2018

This course helped me to upgrade my knowledge about planning reading tasks...Very knowledgeable lectures given by renowned professors!

By Edwin H F H

May 6, 2017

AS we know reading is a real challenge in classroom, but thank to this course we can take many ideas to follow in our schools.

By Adnan k

Oct 5, 2016

It is very useful and authentic learning with advance scope of knowledge under the high professional experts. Very recommended

By Alejandra F G

Apr 24, 2020

I learned so many new things in this course and had a great time working on the assignments. I would definitely recommend it.

By Pooja G

Dec 8, 2019

I learned so much about Reading (language) skill, specially task-based activities and how to incorporate it in the classroom.

By AYŞE B B

Aug 18, 2020

This was by far the best among the 9 MOOCs I have taken. The peer assessments were relevant and adequately challenging.

By Vincent M

Sep 8, 2020

Loved this course, it was very educational and I'm looking forward to doing more courses from them in the future.

By Azumi

Apr 28, 2020

Theories and practices are balanced and well taught. This course will surely improve your teaching skills!

By Carolina F C C

Oct 14, 2019

It is a brilliant course. Extremely well-prepared, the videos are really clear which makes learning easy.

By RAIJA K

Jul 12, 2020

Teaching English as a foreign language, Task based language skills, Improve communication skills

By Lavinder Z

Aug 16, 2021

Gained loads of brilliant ideas, and the way how this course is organized really promotes learning.

By Egar E

Jul 31, 2020

Excellent course, I really learned a lot and it will help me in my proffesional career as a teacher

By Lorenzo R

Mar 14, 2020

A plethora of insights available. Especially remarkable is the breadth of resources at Ss' disposal

By LARISSA D P C

Mar 15, 2021

It's a great course! I recommend for those teachers who want to make the most of reading in-class.

By Behnaz S

May 16, 2020

I really loved this course, and learned a lot. Will and already did suggest it to many colleagues.

By Mishkat A M

Jul 20, 2017

I would like to thank the teaching team for such a great course that is informative and engaging.