Back to Essentials of Global Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Essentials of Global Health by Yale University

Essentials of Global Health is a comprehensive introduction to global health. It is meant to introduce you to this topic in well-structured, clear and easy to understand ways. Much of the course will focus on five questions: What do people get sick, disabled and die from; Why do they suffer from these conditions? Which people are most affected? Why should we care about such concerns? What can be done to address key health issues, hopefully at least cost, as fast as possible, and in sustainable ways? The course will be global in coverage but with a focus on low- and middle-income countries, the health of the poor, and health disparities. Particular attention will be paid throughout the course to health systems issues, the linkages between health and development, and health matters related to global interdependence. The course will cover key concepts and frameworks but be practical in orientation. ESSENTIALS OF GLOBAL HEALTH WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Course Learning Objectives By the end of the course, learners should be able to: • Articulate key public health concepts related to global health; • Analyze the key issues in global health from a number of perspectives; • Discuss with confidence the burden of disease in various regions of the world; how it varies by sex, age, and location; key risk factors for this burden; and how the disease burden can be addressed in cost-effective ways; • Assess key health disparities, especially as they relate to the health of low-income and marginalized people in low- and middle-income countries; • Outline the key actors and organizations in global health and the manner in which they cooperate to address critical global health concerns; • Review key global health challenges that are likely to arise in the coming decades. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Value Added of the Course The course seeks to add special value by being comprehensive, by handling each topic in a consistent framework, and by helping learners gain an understanding of well grounded approaches to assessing global health issues and what can be done to address them. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Readings and other materials for Essentials of Global Health For almost every session of Essentials of Global Health, you will see: - Required readings - Recommended readings - Recommended videos We have selected a small number of readings for each session that are central to understanding the content of the session. We have put these under “required readings”. For each required reading, we have also indicated how carefully you should read the material and on what parts of the material you should focus your attention. In addition, we have selected some additional readings that would be very helpful to your understanding the content of each session. The first is a textbook, Global Health 101, third edition. This is a comprehensive introductory textbook that closely follows the content of this Essentials of Global Health course. We have indicated for each session what part of the book you should read. Using this textbook can be very valuable to your mastering the content of the course. The second set of “recommended readings” is some additional readings, mostly from journal articles and reports. For these, too, we have indicated how carefully you should read the material and on what parts of the material you should focus your attention. Learners should note that to access articles from The Lancet they will have to register with the Lancet, if they do not have online access to a library that has The Lancet. Once they are registered, they will be able to sign into The Lancet and access all of its free articles. We have also indicated for most sessions one or two videos that relate to the topic of the session. These are meant to help the learner get a better feel for the topic which is being covered. Most learners will find the videos brief, easy and enjoyable to watch, and very enlightening....

MM
Mar 17, 2017

It was one of the best courses I have done on coursera.Also the instructor explains detailed subject matter very well which makes it easier to understand the subject.Certainly a 10\10 for the course !

MK
Jul 4, 2020

A very thoughtful and insightful course that help me to understand the global health, its key concept, challenges and cost effective strategies to address the issue in the global health perspectives.

26 - 50 of 382 Reviews for Essentials of Global Health

By Debbie O

Jun 9, 2020

RICHARD YOU ARE A VERY GOOD TEACHER THAT PASSES ON KNOWLEDGE CREATIVELY.

I LOVE YOUR CLASS (THOUGH FIRST TIME LEARNING GLOBAL HEALTH) I LOVE THE INTERACTION IN THE CLASS WITH THE STUDENTS AND ESPECIALLY THE UPDATED GRAPHICS WITH STATISTICS.

EVEN WITH NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE IN PUBLIC HEALTH, ONE WILL LEARN SEAMLESSLY. I COMPLETED MY CLASS IN LESS THAN A MONTH. THANK YOU YALE UNIVERSITY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY.

By Sameen J

Dec 1, 2020

Excellent course! Essentials of Global Health provides a comprehensive overview on the key topics in global health. It works well as an introductory course for those looking to learn about global health and public health. Professor Skolnik is clearly an expert in global health matters and has done very well in teaching this course. I would advise anyone interested in public health to take this course.

By Rozemarijn E v d J

Apr 15, 2020

I really liked it a lot, I didn't know I would be interested in the whole Global Health bizz. yet I was drown to it. I couldn't stop studying, I might pursue another career. I think as a human you are obligated to take care of other people. If I can make an impact like this, I would. So thank you for this opportunity, I am ever so grateful that thanks to you I have found more knowledge.

By Peter S

Nov 28, 2017

I cannot praise this course too highly - it is simply superb. The lecturer is brilliant - very knowledgeable, and someone who puts the material across with great clarity and enthusiasm. The 10 weeks are well arranged and providing one works hard, you come away feeling quite an expert on the subject. I have enrolled in quite a few MOOCs over recent years, but this is by far the best.

By Lam A T

Nov 11, 2020

This course is very informative and easy to follow thanks to the professor and their team ,the reading material is good too. It help me gain a new insight on the important of global health. I will definitely recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in researching about global health.And again thanks to the professor and his team for all their hard work .

By Pascal P

Jul 26, 2018

Overall a good course with a very broad coverage of many different topics. However, there were certain things I did not like, such as the bad quizzes (when there was an answer "all of the above" it is almost always the correct one and I didnt even had to read the question.) and the faked conversations between the professor and the students. Not a fan of it.

By Michael C

Jun 14, 2021

As an advocate for International global health , I find this course very rich in content and creating that much needed awareness for systems upgrade in terms of different countrie epidemiology thrust, I rate it 5 out of 5.

I am studying Masters in Science in International Global Health..\

By Emily N F

Jun 8, 2020

I found this class to be incredibly interesting and enjoyed the discussion prompts. I felt that the quiz questions appropriately addressed the main points of each week. The instructor was very engaging to the students in the lecture videos and asked questions that were relevant to the course material.

By Obiora N

Jul 18, 2020

I really love this course and glad I participated in it. A lot of information and refreshing topics. Thank you professor for your impact in the global health and special thanks for the interviews especially Dr Peter Hortez ( he is one of the expert panel in COVID-19 discussion in the cable tv)

By Anton R

I wish to especially thank the professor. He explained a lot of difficult concepts well and I was enthused to continue and finish this course because of him. This course gave an excellent overview of the salient points pertinent to global health and this serves as a great primer to topic.

By DANIEL M

May 16, 2020

Mr.Skolnik kept the course very engaging and light while still being able to deliver key details. The setting in which other students are included in the online course immerses the viewer, making the transition from a regular traditional classroom to an online course as very easy.

By Neo K

Jun 4, 2020

If i may, i highly recommend this course for those interested in Global Health studies and career. I learnt a lot from Professor Skolnick, read from Lancet commission, The Global burden disease compare, the World Health Organization and other entities. It is a good course.

By kalyango e

Jan 9, 2021

I took this course out of curiosity but the knowledge I have gained is so enormous. The readings, although many help you appreciate the topics in more detail and understand what was explained in the lectures. I really appreciate the organization of this MOOC and its depth.

By AYSHA S

Oct 28, 2018

This is more informative , convenient and Easily available course That is best in a lot of aspects of life either personal, financial or behavioural life. If ever i would have a similar opportunity to get it i will definitely try to approach it in my first possibility.

By Redvers F C

This course was extremely informative, well presented and enjoyable. I feel that I have a lot more knowledge about global health after taking part in this course and I'd like to thank Coursera and Yale University for allowing me to take part in this superb course.

By Jonathan G

Feb 21, 2018

learned a lot about global health but it seems a lot of these concepts and trends are a no-brainer. Of course, there is a huge problem with obesity globally, but it doesn't state the obvious about how to fix the problem i.e. getting more exercise, nutrition etc.

By Simone P

Dec 9, 2020

Very Interesting course and absolutely recommended!! It would be interesting to make an update by including this latest pandemic...

Corso davvero molto interessante e raccomandato!! Sarebbe molto interessante aggiornarlo includendo anche quest'ultima pandemia

By Ellis H

Oct 21, 2020

Fantastic content, very educational, great teaching and clear explanations. The recommended reading material was relevant to the topic and provided a greater insight into topics discussed in lecture recordings. Thank you for making this resource available.

By Nino G

Jul 7, 2018

One of the best courses I have ever taken. I'm doing MPH at Essex University and Richard Skonlik's "Global Health 101" is the essential reading throughout the first module. This course is very supportive, relevant and essential for health care specialists.

By Mariia N

Feb 23, 2021

Professor Skolnik's professionalism, immense experience and expertise provide students with truly invaluable insights into the theory and the practice of global health. This course is definitely my favourite of all I attended via Coursera. THANK YOU!

By VISHAL D

Aug 7, 2020

Great experience. It was my first ever online course and I am glad I chose this course. Dr. Richard has a really good grasp on his field of expertise and now I can very well engage in conversations about this topic with confidence and knowledge.

By Dilukshi N Z

Jun 9, 2021

This cause is really important for health undergraduates and I learned lots of details about world wide health conditions through this course. This will be important for any person who willing to get idea about global health. Thank you

By Andreia M B C C

Jun 15, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It covered a broad range of topic and I think it also provided the adequate depth. I highly recommend it if you want to learn more about a wide range of global health topics or to refresh your knowledge.

By Michael A

Feb 21, 2020

Engaging professor , great visual aid and world class content. I'm now anble tom decipher public health issues, identify top industries and organizations and also suggest solutions to Public health issues.

You SHOULD take this course.

By MARIAN C

Jul 10, 2020

Great course if you are interested in learning the basics of global health and the current situation around the globe. This course gives you a broad perspective on the topic and a set of skills to work on solving global issues.