Back to Foundations of Everyday Leadership

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Everyday Leadership by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course you will learn about the “head and heart” of everyday leadership, individual decision making, group decision making, and managing motivation. The objectives are to understand why and how leadership skills are so critical to organizational success, and learn the foundations of effective leadership skills. Learners: • Understand why and how leadership skills are so critical to organizational success • Know how to use leadership skills to work more effectively with others, and are able to organize teams to work more effectively together • Will be able to apply the foundations of effective leadership skills to everyday situations faced by leaders. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

IR
Dec 16, 2020

I found this course to be very informative. I really enjoyed the Videos and i was very much surprised at the interactive sessions. I am encouraged to complete other courses.\n\nA huge THANK YOU!!!!!!!

IJ
Jul 3, 2020

Honestly, its one of the most effective online foundational course on effective leadership. I'm particularly overwhelmed by the much I have learnt about utilising the group decision making process.

976 - 1000 of 1,135 Reviews for Foundations of Everyday Leadership

By Kevin S

Dec 12, 2017

G

By Roshni F

Mar 13, 2016

The course was very informative and practical. I liked that it had case studies that needed working with others. However, if there is a way that mentors from the university could also grade the case study assignments, it would be useful. When I graded, I didn't look for the exact use of terminology but if my coursemate had documented the idea, I gave a positive grade. People could have a bias to the grading. At times I found people randomly added me probably to access the case study but didn't bother to discuss. In a future upgrade of the course, if the university can assign teams and track progress somehow it would be great. Perhaps limit the number of entries to each course and assign a mentor per few groups. I enjoyed it however and learnt alot which I will apply to my work. Thank you.

By Mohammed M A W E K

Apr 18, 2020

The overall course was easy and required minimum work which is great for the executive. One thing I as hoping to better designed: the video lectures, they needed more interactivity. moving graphics or animations or even case studies. Also some of the articles. while they were a great read, they were not truly part of the course. They needed special memberships, which is fine, but that should have been clarified in advance. Additionally some papers were available in links othter the ones mentioned, which would have provided access to the artic;le for the students, without breaking IP regulations

By David R

Nov 5, 2016

Great course. my constructive criticism has to do with the organizing of the group activities, it's just very difficult to organize into groups via people whom you have not met, especially given the time zone differences as well the differences in daily schedules for group members. I just wonder if there's a possibility to organize the group projects in such a way that the website allows for better asynchronous work (not just emailing back and forth as that feels very disorganized)? Otherwise I feel that I learned a lot and I feel that this is a great intro class.

By Chris S

Feb 7, 2019

Personally, I really enjoyed the experience taking the first course Foundations of Everyday Leadership. The videos and readings were very informative and helped to develop my perspective in decision making and be able to articulate why taking certain approaches are important when making decisions. The biggest challenge I've found is getting on a efficent schedule and cadence with classmates on group excercises. Everyone is working remote from all over the world, so schedules are difficult to coordinate.

By Grant B

Jul 2, 2020

It was a great experience learning this program. My favorite part was a video with an actual speech of a professor that explains and highlights important matters in the discussions.

The peer graded part of the course is something that pending in finishing the courses and it really take awhile for another peers to give you a grade. This is the reason I did not gave a 5 star. Other than that it is a nice course that you can use to update your resume. Great school and reputation.

By Val S

Apr 9, 2020

This is a solid introductory leadership course. I was surprised, however, that two of the four case studies had obvious legal issues that students were supposed to ignore. I think that sends the wrong message to students, that is, that it is appropriate to ignore legal issues,or worse, to engage in crime, in real life situations. Those case studies could have been constructed in ways where there were no legal issues.

By Muhammad Y

Apr 8, 2019

It's very good, taught me a lot. But it's most useful information was in the readings. For the videos though useful but too few topics discussed. Also most readings are paid and some of them are quite useless hindering the overall benefit of the course. Some readings are utterly ridiculous like Dogs @ work in module 4 and Virtual Teams in Module 1.

By Helena S

Apr 2, 2020

I´ve learn very much about the human behavior also mine !!! A lot of tools are given in this course and very useful. Maybe the unique point against the course is the idiom, I know you are a USA university but sometimes the concepts for no english speakers is a little difficult to understand ;)

Anyway congratulations for the couse ! Thanks

By Maneesh S

Jan 31, 2021

This course touches upon head and heart of leadership. Head being decision making by self and in group situations an heart being motivation as individual and when working in interdependent environment. The reading material section is rich and provides deep understanding. The lecture videos themselves provide crisp explanation of concepts.

By Zaw Z O

Sep 18, 2018

This research based specialization has provided the fundamental knowledge and essential skills in from daily strategic leadership to Managing organization effectively; you will see how the course is precise and concise that leads the potential leverage for achieving your organization’s goals and sustaining its long-term success.

By Abhay S

The course is really well structured with a very good amount of suggested reading materials provided ( Had to purchase HBR subscription for some articles). The only suggestion is to include more questions in graded quiz particularly intending to have a real-life application of the concepts taught in the videos. Thank you

By Hari O P

Jul 27, 2020

A wonderful course which put insight on many leadership quality that is essential but we generally ignore them. There is a lot of leadership aspect which I get to know from this course.

I really thank full to the whole Illinois Gies college of the business team who made this wonderful course.

By Anton F

Aug 26, 2016

Useful course. Interaction is not on par with in-person, but other than that the course is great. I should say, that I have already started getting the value from the key learnings at my daily job and personal life. This is the best indication that the course was made right.

By Vanita P

Sep 1, 2020

Its literally a good course I must say. The modules designed are very crisp and very informative. The tools introduced through the course are easy to applicable and adopt in day to day businesses. Thank you so much for this course and all the best for future journey.

By Olanipekun A S

Oct 24, 2020

excellent! but that orientation quiz...that orientation quiz... maybe it is the language.that was the last thing i finished. i know its supposed to be a test question but it would be better if the layout of the questionsare more understandeable. thanks. greeeeeeeat!

By Romario T

Jan 31, 2020

This has been my first ever online course and it has been very interactive and informative. Thank you for the opportunity to learn more and equipping me with the knowledge to empower myself and others who would deem it necessary to become better leaders!!!

By Sudhir B

Jun 18, 2020

we have to share our email address for the completing the peer reviews assignment. Because of this student email address are open in public domain, which is quite dangerous now a days. Discussion forum did not maintain the confidentiality.

By Devin P

Jul 21, 2020

Lots of great material, and I really liked the structure with a module of lecture then a module of assessment/learning. For me to give it a five, I would break up the modules into smaller parts to make it easier to digest.

By Tom v D

Jan 6, 2021

Good course that explains more about how decision making and group processes work. I felt the first three modules where a bit better than the last one, as I missed a bit of the structure that was presented earlier.

By Andre A M

Sep 3, 2020

The topics were very interesting. The quizzes are not mind-blowing and straight-forward. The case studies are interesting enough. Useful literature references but nothing compared to taking the actual iMBA class.

By Jahnavi Y

The course is well structured alongside case studies which allow for understanding of the content. The examples in the course are plenty and sound. Enjoyed doing the course and exploring the aspect of lea

By Sheila

Dec 4, 2017

I like the format and especially liked the downloadable slides from each lecture. I'm not a fan of the peer-graded assignments. I don't think it added any value in education for the specialization.

By Sascha Z

Jan 30, 2021

I had a bug in one question at week 4, i could not solve the problem with the support. After 3 attempts I used a different browser and my answer was right. The rest of these course was amazing.!

By Curtis N

Jan 28, 2019

The grading criteria for the peer-reviewed writing should be made available before submission. Some of the criteria were not always obvious from the lectures alone. Very informative course.