Back to Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

In this first course of the specialization Excel Skills for Business, you will learn the essentials of Microsoft Excel. Within six weeks, you will be able to expertly navigate the Excel user interface, perform basic calculations with formulas and functions, professionally format spreadsheets, and create visualizations of data through charts and graphs. Whether you are self-taught and want to fill in the gaps for better efficiency and productivity, or whether you have never used Excel before, this course will set you up with a solid foundation to become a confident user and develop more advanced skills in later courses. The best way to learn Excel is to use Excel. In this course, learners will solve a broad range of business problems as they apply the Excel skills and techniques they learn along the way. This course uses downloadable Excel workbooks and full data sets with applied examples and practical challenge exercises. This provides learners with countless opportunities to practice their Excel skills while discovering new and useful productivity features of Excel for a variety of business contexts. Spreadsheet software is one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software used in workplaces across the world. Learning to confidently operate this software means adding a highly valuable asset to your employability portfolio. At a time when digital skills jobs are growing much faster than non-digital jobs, make sure to position yourself ahead of the rest by adding Excel skills to your employment portfolio....

DT
Feb 8, 2021

Really well done! You kept me interested and motivated, and that's not easy to do!\n\nI enjoyed the balance of instructional videos and hands-on exercises, and I'm excited to try the Intermediate now.

RB
Aug 28, 2019

The course was defiantly more than I expected. It not only strengthened what I did know about Excel but it showed me several options that I was not using or haven't found. I would highly recommend it.

9851 - 9875 of 10,000 Reviews for Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

By Aaron C

Aug 16, 2020

Overall, a very practical and useful course. The challenges/exams are well-written and practical questions based on material covered. Not sure if it's possible, but sometimes some of the questions/shortcuts aren't always up-to-date/relevant for Mac users. The quiz questions can sometimes also be a bit confusing and it's clear the multi-choice questions were written using a PC to work out the answers.

By A. Y

Feb 24, 2021

The instructors provided clear and engaging instructions. I like the ability to be able to practice alongside the instructions. The most frustrating parts, some of the information which appeared on the quizzes, were not taught in the lessons, causing me to guess, which is very frustrating. I did, however, have the opportunity to provide feedback. Hopefully, it will be reviewed and addressed.

By Sascha H

May 28, 2018

I greatly appreciated the outline and presentation. What didn't work well for me was the fact there is noone you can ask a question when problems arise - no one else than the forum that is. As a foreign learner I also noticed lots of differences in how my Excel behaves vs. the Australian version used here. But eventually it still worked and I enjoyed it so much I signed up for the next course.

By Yamiris P

Nov 19, 2020

Very helpful and nicely paced to work along with and play around with. Also the challenges were both fun and a great wrap up of the week. Workbooks were diverse enough to practice something knew every week. Presenters were precise and fully explained what something was and how it would be used in the real world, especially Nikki. I had fun and cannot wait till the next course. Thanks y'all!!!

By EdSource

Jun 7, 2020

Great course. I recommend to those that are self taught or is an immediate Excel level to take this course because it definitely refreshes your skills and you also learn great short-cut tips. Very challenging and I recommend to everyone to read the questions very carefully. Questions in the quizzes and final assessment can be quite tricky. So read them thoroughly and practice makes permanent!

By Sybil C

Sep 27, 2020

I did learn some new skills and enjoyed the demonstration videos. The instruction on creating and working with charts did not work out the best - seems like my version of Excel is just too different from the instructor's version so I had to try to teach myself how to perform the tasks. Also noted many typos in course printouts - nothing major but many spelling and consistency issues.

By Hoàng T N

Jun 8, 2021

I find the female teacher's lectures really good and easy to understand. But male teachers are the opposite. Every time I watch a male teacher's instructional video, I always find it difficult to follow and therefore the results of the practice quizz are not high. If only all the practice videos were taught by female teachers, the effectiveness of the course would be higher!

By Bidusi K

Apr 5, 2020

This course is really useful for an absolute beginner. If you have already learned the basics, then this course still have many tips and tricks that you might have missed or not known if you have self-learned. The quizzes after each video are well-designed and ensures that you are interested on the course the entire time, even if you knew some of the content of the video.

By Loreen C k

Feb 24, 2018

This course is a great beginner course for excel beginners! I enjoyed it very much and the videos aren't too long to sit and watch. They are straight to the point and very clear to understand. For anyone wanting to refresh their excel skills this is a great way to do that. I also learnt a couple of things and tricks, after working in admin and using excel didn't know!

By Jason C

Aug 7, 2020

Great course! I still believe I got two answers right in a couple of the assessments but the course deemed them as incorrect. However, this was very insightful and helpful. Specially when making the change from sheets to excel. It helps me find all the tools I need within the ribbon area and familiarize myself with the differences between both Business Platforms

By Syed A A

Jun 17, 2020

I enjoyed this courses very much. The content and teaching technique of this course was really appreciable.

The worksheets which are provided for practice, the worksheets with challenges were very helpful to understand the topic and practice it.

However, the pitch of instructor is very low. I had to watch all the videos at the speed of 2x. That should be improved.

By Carlos R A A

Aug 17, 2020

Just a little complain with the final assessment that have a technical issue (reported already)...Question 4: ask for the total Feb Expenditure (Cell P2) but actually P2 is January Expenditure and it was confusing. I place the answer according to the cell referenced because I new the text was incorrect according to the spreadsheet, and this affected my score :(

By Karen P

Jan 15, 2021

An effective course that fully taught me the basic of Microsoft Excel! I learned a lot of very useful shortcuts and commands. The videos were easy to follow and the instructors were extremely helpful. Overall, I'd recommend this class to all beginners. The final exam was actually quite tough for me and I am eager to learn more from this course series!

By amita r

Dec 17, 2020

I have really learned alot in this course, graphs, spreadsheet, charts, different functions etc. I recommend this course to anyone who want to learned Excel. It is so easy to learned with all the videos and quizzes. Also the lecturers are very cool and make it easy for you to understand. I personally want to thank Coursera for the oppertunity.

By Giacomo R

May 6, 2020

I liked how the topic were faced. Some of the icons are changed since this course has been uploaded, but it still comprehensible. I liked Prashan and Nicky too lol. It is really basic, especially for what concern the copy and paste concepts or the print to pdf part, but I think this is because of the public the course wants to reach. So good job!

By Mohammad S A

Feb 27, 2019

Very challenging course. Doable but time consuming. I have done the 6 weeks in 10 days.

I gained a lot of information. Some stuff were not very clear and why we would do it this way, maybe because my mind couldn't comprehend some of it but that doesn't mean I won't move up to the next level. I am going to start the next specialization course !

By PINNA S C

Oct 1, 2020

I have done many more certificates, but I would say that this is the best course I have come across in coursera and is informative. I would recommend this course to many others and will surely ask them to do this course. A special thanks to my mentors Nikki ma'am and Prashan sir. I will surely use these skills everywhere. Thank you once again.

By Dale E

Oct 7, 2020

Some words could be clearer. The sign up process was challenging for Navy paid course. Difficulty verifying email address. Navy network may have presented an issue as system froze at saving. I moved to my personal computer. I think some questions are not clear, but few. I started taking screenshots but it was not worth my time. Overall GTG.

By Shebin S

Aug 13, 2020

An excellent initiative by Macquarie University & Coursera. Very easy to learn and understand. Thanks to Dr. Prashan and Nicky for your wonderful teaching. The practice session is very helpful to evaluate our understanding on the lessons what we viewed on each topic. Highly recommendable for working professionals as well as for freshers.

By Heather L B

Oct 1, 2020

I learned a great deal from this course since enrolling. Some of the lessons can be very challenging to do and learn, but they have helped a great deal when doing the final assessment. Definitely great to bolster your Linkedin profile and makes using Excel easier for budgeting, presentations, and other necessities. Definitely worth it!

By Steve S

Apr 13, 2020

Great refresher course for those looking to reacquaint themselves with a solid working knowledge of the key Excel functions. It's amazing how many things one misses, misunderstands or overcomplicates based on their own earlier self learning. Some challenges with formatting in versions of Windows for MAC but overall a great course.

By Juan M

May 9, 2020

Great way to refresh. Some lessons could of gone into more information, but overall liked the course. I use excel regularly (intermediate understanding) and found some neat short cuts. Showing and doing is key as I learn from practicing. Way more practical to learn shortcuts this way rather than downloading a sheet from online.

By Omphile M

Dec 12, 2020

an excellent course, and very easy to follow. i enjoyed it very much and learnt a lot of things, even though something a bit more intermediate or advanced would have been better suited, i was able to address the small gaps in knowledge about excel!! I recommend it for anyone who needs a crash course in Excel. You will enjoy it

By Karen W

Dec 24, 2020

This course was GREAT, I never learned EXCEL this was a big change from Daycare.

The Assessments really tests your skills. it would have been nice to have all of the answers for the lessons a few don't have them. It's a little confusing to know if you followed the formulas correctly.

I'm still PRACTICING TO MAKE PERMENET. :)

By Nathalie R

Due to different keyboards and settings in different countries, some explanations (i.e. shortcuts, monetary values) were not easy to figure out - that made answering some exam questions super difficult. Other than that it is a great course with super interesting content and awesome teachers. Would highly recommend :)