Back to Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

In this first course of the specialization Excel Skills for Business, you will learn the essentials of Microsoft Excel. Within six weeks, you will be able to expertly navigate the Excel user interface, perform basic calculations with formulas and functions, professionally format spreadsheets, and create visualizations of data through charts and graphs. Whether you are self-taught and want to fill in the gaps for better efficiency and productivity, or whether you have never used Excel before, this course will set you up with a solid foundation to become a confident user and develop more advanced skills in later courses. We have brought together a great teaching team that will be with you every step of the way. A broad range of practice quizzes and challenges will provide great opportunities to build up your skillset. Work through each new challenge with our team and in no time you will surprise yourself with how far you have come. Spreadsheet software is one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software used in workplaces across the world. Learning to confidently operate this software means adding a highly valuable asset to your employability portfolio. At a time when digital skills jobs are growing much faster than non-digital jobs, make sure to position yourself ahead of the rest by adding Excel skills to your employment portfolio....

KS

Jun 30, 2020

This is an amazing course for learners. I am having a lot of fun completing this course from the starting point. It is very much enjoyable and the way the course teachers deliver every lecture superb.

KG

Jun 09, 2020

Very good teaching of fundamentals. Everything was explained in a really structured manner. Final assessment was like cherry on the cake as it helped in revisiting what has been taught over the weeks.

76 - 100 of 7,682 Reviews for Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

By Ahadul I

Jul 13, 2020

This course is, in one word, awesome! Even if you think you know Excel, you never know ;)

The course is elegantly designed. At the start of every week, the instructors sit together and explain what the learners will be coming across in the coming week. The explanations in the lectures are nice and vivid.

All the Excel courses out there have seasoned instructors and all of them have ample knowledge to share. But what actually sets this course apart, from all the other courses, is that the exercises are comprehensive and when you complete those exercises, you are already using the tools, which you may have forgotten if you didn't go through.

Excellent primer for any one wanting to learn Excel. It is equally good for anyone who thinks he needs some polish in his basics.

By Abdul A H

Jul 25, 2020

Very impressive, the sessions are a very good introduction to Excel skills for business! The tutors are excellent at explaining terminologies effectively and it is easy to understand. The detailed explanations throughout this course has definitely enabled me to become more proficient in using excels tools and I have learnt loads more even though I have used Excel before this course. Thank you! It is also very easy to learn and follow the tutors instructions and practice along using the videos, exercise workbooks and also practice questions. Overall, I feel encouraged to learn more and I thank everyone involved for making this course. I encourage anyone looking for an introduction to Excel or to improve core Excel skills to take this course, it is very worthwhile!

By Larry G

Sep 04, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. The curriculum was direct and to the point. The material covered in my opinion was relevant to how Excel is being used in today's company's. The practice videos, and the quiz that followed each lesson was really helpful. Thanks Coursera and Macquarie University for providing the course to those of us who are looking to increase their knowledge and skill level. I'm very optimistic about securing employment that requires me to utilize Excel daily and fill confident about executing the various tasks to complete effective spreadsheets/reports, charts and graphs, etc. Dare I ask Coursera to find another resource that offers the chance to learn advance to expert level Excel Skills and knowledge. Again, thank you so much!!

By Santa I

Jul 07, 2020

I am more than happy to express my hole journey during this course. Its amazing as well as comprehensible . The course has the ability to meet all the needs of novices and also freshers. Excel skills for business course has provided all desired stuffs which I looking for.The presentations are very nice and easy to understand. This is a very nice and effective way to work on learned elements in excel through practice quizzes. At the end of every module self test for getting grade is very worthy for ascertainment of our actual position after practicing throughout the week.I personally have been very benefited from this course.Needless to say , I highly recommend this course to complete successfully.

By Justin R

Aug 22, 2020

This course was very well understandable and helped me brush up on my knowledge of Excel from grade school in the 90s. I've had to use Excel at different times at work and it always took forever for me to figure out charts, filtering, sorting, hiding and unhiding, etc. Now, I feel much more confident and quick. Plus, I learned so many new tools in such a short period of time. The course was so entertaining that it was always hard to say enough for today! Nicky and Prashan did a great job and are a great team! The quizes were difficult enough to make you have to think, but not too difficult if you work through the exercises. Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to the next course already!

By Kartikeya D

May 06, 2020

FANTASTIC course! This course has given me the skills which will be useful in my career in management. The course is designed in a perfect manner : right from the basics with increasing difficulty. But, the instructor did a brilliant job by teaching in a lucid and friendly manner. The course contents and especially the workbooks were very instrumental in the learning process. Practice assignments were very good. And last but not the least, the final course assignment was a tough nut as it used every skill that is learnt throughout the course duration. I would love to re-visit this course again to brush up my newly learned basic skills in Excel. Thanks Coursera and Macquerie University!

By Ketan K

Jul 01, 2020

This course on Microsoft Excel is simply an excellent one !! I have been using Excel from the past 10 years or so, but it was just that I wasn't utilizing the full potential of this very powerful tool !! I By successfully completing this course, I feel that I have mastered all the essentials which I can utilize to move ahead in my career... All thanks to the superb and very knowledgeable Instructors Nicky Bull, Prashan Karunaratne from Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia & Coursera for such a wonderful course ! I have made hand-written notes of about 15 pages to remember the invaluable knowledge & skills which I have learnt. Now I can say that '"Practice Makes Permanent !!" :-)

By Johnson A M

Fantastic Course, Intricately prepared and More practical...!!!

Since I am a beginner to Excel without having any prior experience in Excel, I signed for this course and followed the course, its workbooks and its quiz. Initially I felt it is difficult to pass, but the instructing videos pulled me back to enhance my interest. It really taught me from scratch to finally become a professional. Initially I was bit hesitant to take up Final Assessment Quiz, which had 22 questions, but I took my time and passed the final assessment in my very first attempt.

Thank you very much Prashan and the lady coordinator. You took away all my fears working in Excel. My heartfelt thanks to you both.

By Nasser A A

Jul 15, 2020

An excellent course for beginners.

In general, the videos were excellent and clear.

The shooting of the videos on some worksheets goes at an angle. I think it's better to keep the view straight on, with highlight of the focus area.

I liked the simplicity and easiness in presenting the topics and concepts.

I didn't participate in the discussion forum, but I noticed that there are many threads with request for help, and there are no comments from the instructors! May be they should participate more!

The assignments could have been designed in an interactive way using Macros!

I have done another basic course on Excel before, and Macros were used. It was really good!

By Ozoda F

Sep 07, 2020

I really loved this course . I have been constantly using excel for a year and I had no idea that I did not know so many thing in excel. I wish I could have seen this course before I started using excel

Pros

This course is easy to understand, whether you know how to use excel or not . This course have small tests after each class which usually takes around a 1 or so. There are also practice assessment which will help to test your knowledge .

Cons

Slightly difficult final assignment and that is all.

I am not very good writer and I can't express all my gratitude for this course but for those who still hesitates whether or not take this course .Absolutely, yes !!!

By Ahmed R A M

Jun 23, 2020

This course has empowered me with the ability to control the excel workbook using keyboard shortcuts although 80% of the knowledge presented I already knew before and the ninja tips was really helpful.

Although my knowledge for this material came from using excel in every day work and learn by doing required tasks, it was great to learn in this professional presented videos and exercises, Besides I have learned new things that was missing from my day to day usage.

I recommend any one thinking of learning excel skills to attend this course weather he or she is a new user or a professional.

Looking forward to the next course: Excel Skills for Business.

By Utkarsh B

I feel that this was one of the courses, I was waiting on for a lifetime! For a person who feared Excel for his entire life, I can assure you that by the end of the course, you will not only overcome your fears but will have a solid understanding of the concepts and have made far greater progress than learning excel online because the worksheets, tutorials, assessments are designed in a way to tackle challenges and that too at your own pace. I highly recommend this course to everyone and anyone who feels that excel is an important skill and he wants to learn either start from basics or revisit building concepts. Thanks, Coursera & Macquarie

By Pavan B C

The course was well organized. The instructors have Explained in very good pace and friendly manner. The way the instructors has explained all concepts hardly we need to view videos again. and everything is understood first time only. Another positive thing about course is the content is divided in very small videos and after each video their practice video and assignment. So this makes the course more practical and easy to understand. The Instructors have in depth knowledge and Definitely this course will be very benificial for all students future.

Good experience

Overall Excellent Course as well as Instructors. I had very

Pavan chaudhari

By Pankaj P

Feb 08, 2020

I would like to thank the Coursera team for providing this course. The course started from the basics which helped me to understand and clear all the tiny specifications that I was missing out like Flash fill and Autosum functionality. tutors' way of teaching is nice, the flow of speaking is easy to understand and examples and materials provided in the course are good enough to practice each point thoroghly. What impressed me a lot was the Ninja tips at the end of each week's assessment which I found extremely helpful and informative! By completing this course, I am feeling confident in implementing this taught syllabus in my routine work.

By Tanya A W

Apr 30, 2020

I enjoyed learning all of the new skills - and the final assessment really was challenging-and helped me to see how important it is to really know each of the skills we learned to be prepared to use Excel in a business environment. I'm going to go over sorting, filtering and conditional formatting before I go on to the new class, but I was quite pleased with how much I learned and retained overall. And the 49.00 a month fee is more than worth it, because you can really take your time with the material in order to understand how to use it and apply it to real world situations. Thanks so much for offering these classes!

By Deokumar G

Feb 21, 2020

Prior to taking this course, I had basic to intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office. Microsoft Excel was always a program that I was intimidated by, because of the amount of customization and overall options in the program itself. Doctor Prashan and Doctor Nicky have shown me that with the step-by-step instructions and excellent reading and downloadable material they have provided in their on-demand education course from MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY, anyone can master and use MS Excel. Last comment would be that I feel like I am being educated, rather than being bored or intimidated. - deokumar gandharry

By Dan R

This course is essential for everyone who wishes to learn about the fantastic world of excel. It's a skill that can be used in day to day life, not just for work. I work for one organisation but in multiple locations. This course helped me put all my hours in one timesheet and from there generate multiple timesheets specific for each site. Before completing this course, I used to do them individually spending a lot of time, but now completing timesheets is more fun. The videos in this course are clearly presented. I decided to complete the rest series of excel courses and see what else I can learn.

By SANIKA A

Hello Sir/ Madam,

I am Sanika Angal from India. I am perusing my MBA degree in Banking And Financial Services specialization from one of the renowned university in Pune. I would love to share that, this course has helped me to work on excel more confidently now. After attending 6 weeks of lectures, I have learnt very minute things in Excel and I am sure that this will help me to make my use of Excel skills in organization when I will be joining. I am thankful to you for having this online platform as it helps each and everyone to build themselves in a better way.

Thankyou. And Have A NIce Day.

By Sukumaran

Jan 29, 2018

Though I have been using Excel for over 15 years in my career, the Excel Skills course has been exceptional. It has helped me to use the inbuilt tools and shortcuts in a much simpler and efficient manner. Ever since I have started applying my learning at work, things are looking significantly better. It has pushed my confidence level higher as I am able to accomplish excel related tasks faster and better. Kudos to the University, the course ware is brilliantly structured with videos, practice sessions and forums in the right order and the quality of content is top notch. Sukumaran P

By Nicholas T

Jun 18, 2020

The pace and articulation standards of explanation, and the sequential steps and video-narrative flow cohered well, making it easy to follow and understand the various lessons. The constant, consistent reminders to practice were also on-point. The practice exercises and assessment were also of a sufficient level to challenge, practice and learn by action. As an experienced basic Excel user woefully out of practice with the more recent versions of Excel, I think this is an excellent course for all beginners and basic users - one of the best I've taken across a few online platforms,

By Melissa L

Dec 24, 2018

I found this course to be extremely informative. The way the coursed is taught, the interactive challenges, quizzes and test are extremely useful and straight forward. They aid in reinforcing the information which is taught. It had been about 20 years since I took and excel course and there have been many more versions since I originally encountered excel; and since that point most of my knowledge was self taught. I have walked away feeling more confident and knowledgeable on a basic excel level. I would highly recommend both this course and Macquarie University. Thank you!

By Mita M

Feb 06, 2019

Excellent course. I signed up for a similar course in a community college (not knowing Coursera was offering it too, should have checked) but the quality of this course is significantly better. I learned more here. The data files are very helpful and both Nicky and Prashant make the learning experience very interesting. The final assessment test was challenging towards the end. I have already signed up for the Intermediate I session and I am loving it. It is challenging to say the least right from Week 1. I wish more such courses were offered for MS Word and MS PowerPoint.

By Valérie M

Feb 05, 2018

This is the first time I get excited about Excel! The two teachers have succeeded in presenting the materials in a very effective way. This dynamic pair brought the fun back in a course which, at the first glance, don't really seem quite amusing.

I actually learnt much more than I expected with an Essentials training, and I now feel more confident with my pratice. And eager to follow the next courses of this specialization!

Tip: Don't skip the Essentials course even if you think you are not a beginner, you will still learn and re-start with a solid foundation!

By Dr_G@ur

Aug 09, 2020

Just wow! Best course on MS Excel not just on Coursera, but on all the E-learning platforms. I never imagined one can teach how to use a software without sucking the life out of the learner. 20 on 10 for the efforts the team made while designing this course. No matter what part of the course it is (videos, practice exercises or quizzes), you will always be engaged and that surely would help in better assimilation of concepts.

Didn't know till now that Excel really has so many features to facilitate working with large chunk of data. A must do course. Loved it!

By Ganesh B

Apr 19, 2020

Although I am familiar with the basics of Excel, thanks to this course, I was able to learn some things which I wasn't familiar with (conditional formatting, charts, shortcuts etc). I like the practical assessment tests given after each concept so we get to practice it almost instantly and then the assessment after each week which sort of summarises the week's learning. I intend to take up the next module as well. Thank you so much to McQ University, the faculty who set up this beautiful course and to Coursera for giving us a platform to learn it as well.