Back to Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

In this first course of the specialization Excel Skills for Business, you will learn the essentials of Microsoft Excel. Within six weeks, you will be able to expertly navigate the Excel user interface, perform basic calculations with formulas and functions, professionally format spreadsheets, and create visualizations of data through charts and graphs. Whether you are self-taught and want to fill in the gaps for better efficiency and productivity, or whether you have never used Excel before, this course will set you up with a solid foundation to become a confident user and develop more advanced skills in later courses. The best way to learn Excel is to use Excel. In this course, learners will solve a broad range of business problems as they apply the Excel skills and techniques they learn along the way. This course uses downloadable Excel workbooks and full data sets with applied examples and practical challenge exercises. This provides learners with countless opportunities to practice their Excel skills while discovering new and useful productivity features of Excel for a variety of business contexts. Spreadsheet software is one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software used in workplaces across the world. Learning to confidently operate this software means adding a highly valuable asset to your employability portfolio. At a time when digital skills jobs are growing much faster than non-digital jobs, make sure to position yourself ahead of the rest by adding Excel skills to your employment portfolio....

DT
Feb 8, 2021

Really well done! You kept me interested and motivated, and that's not easy to do!\n\nI enjoyed the balance of instructional videos and hands-on exercises, and I'm excited to try the Intermediate now.

VJ
Nov 10, 2020

With this course you learn how to use Excel in your daily life. I recommend it to everyone that starts using excel and the ones that want to become better in understanding how it works and be quicker.

76 - 100 of 9,514 Reviews for Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

By James J

Aug 23, 2020

I found the course content really valuable.

But these courses are for windows users and should only be marketed as such.

I use a MacBook Pro and although it nodded toward the fact that you may have to hunt for particular tools, sometimes those tools just did not exist and then it came up on the assessment.

They should re-do the videos with content aimed at Mac users too not just windows.

If I'd have been using a windows computer then I would have found the video tutorials really easy to follow - as it was I struggled far more than I should have had to considering I'm paying for this.

By Rosenberry, A

Dec 19, 2020

Very challenging to complete on a Mac laptop! Great course materials but would be so much better if tailored to the computer in use.

By Rahul M

Apr 29, 2018

It is very easy course to do , If you have prior knowledge of Excel you can do it in 1 day as I did.

By Sanket P

Jan 20, 2019

but the questions in the last assesement are varying with the datasheet provided

By Himalaya K S

Jul 6, 2020

I have worked in Excel for years. Signed up for basic tips and overall Specialization certification. Although its purpose is to go through the essentials of Excel, some important topics were rushed through. And practice challenges do not seem to be enough for beginners. Some questions were confusing and lots of gaps between the lecture and the questions asked in the quiz. Feedbacks could also be more constructive to guide the students to learn the concept instead of the need to resort to trial and error methods to pass the test with no learning of the targeted concept.

For the basics, I would recommend freely available resources on youtube which has great content and excellent practice materials for the proper application of the material in various scenarios. The only downside is you do not earn a certificate.

By MacGregor O

Dec 8, 2020

Good for a basic walkthrough of Microsoft Excel. Weak on data manipulation and visualization. No work on functions or look ups. Printing does not need its own course section at this point where reports are not frequently being printed

By PRAISE T

Apr 28, 2020

Excel you can learn through practice

You cant just study excel by doing some excise in the worksheet provided by the tutor

When you really stuck for excel in office please search that doubt in google and find out

dont waste time by doing this kind of course in excel

the course is too long and boring

please dont opt for this course if you wants to save your time...............

Course content really good...........

By Jillian V

Sep 13, 2020

In 7 minutes the teacher covers about 5 key elements. There is no pause for you to try. I'm aware you can hit pause at any time. This course feels very centered around vocabulary rather than the topic being hands-on. To top it off the teacher talks so fast. Try a different class or Youtube.

By Yaseen A

Sep 4, 2020

very long for basics

By Zokir R

Sep 3, 2020

Coursera is the best way to learn online. I like how I can access courses that are held in real universities around the world. The course material was easy to follow along with the instructor. I am very grateful to Nicky Bull, Dr Prashan, A / Professor Yvonne Breyer instructors from Macquarie University.

I am 55 years old and my profession is a school teacher. It is easy for me to solve other complex examples from mathematics integral, trigonometric equations, and the like. There were no computers in schools at that time. We didn't know about Excel, Word, Programming languages, Pascal, Basic and so on. When I was in university, I was interested in programming mathematical examples in the Fortran programming language. As a talented student, I was invited to study at Moscow and St. Petersburg universities. Because of my family circumstances, I turned down an offer to study at such prestigious universities. Now there are great opportunities for young people. Talented students at our school want to study at Coursera. But some found it difficult to master. To understand the reason, I also started studying and got a certificate. It was a little difficult at first. Because I have a good understanding of mathematics, I made sure to translate the questions in English into Uzbek with a 100% guarantee. They understand English well, but do not understand sentences involving scientific terms. That is, even an expert who can speak English well will misinterpret sentences involving a scientific term. So I understood them. I can create complex algorithms in older programming languages. Now I think I should be able to easily learn modern Python programming language in the courseera and then I will take the next Excel course. It’s a lot of fun for me to compete with young people.

I just wanted to thank again all the people who have been working so hard to deliver great courses on Coursera.

By Kathleen S

Sep 20, 2020

This course was GREAT, I am so pleased in the information and the manner in which it was taught. I actually completed it and understood what I learned but was so upset with myself being the one question I missed was because when I selected my formatting for currency I inadvertently selected the one with a comma in it and it was very clearly stated what the format should be. I had the answer correct but that one dumb mistake. What I took away from that mistake however is the importance of ensuring that what you do in Excel carries over and if you are not careful your information can be altered with one slip of the finger. Do I regret my error of course I am a perfectionist, however I took away a lesson with it so it was a valuable mistake. The instructors were very knowledgably and I feel what I needed to obtain from this class was received. I thank you for the opportunity and look forward to taking additional courses on line when I am employed. I would highly refer this process of learning to my friends, family and co-workers.

By Mr H P

This is a very well organized, excellently presented, top quality course. I highly recommend it. I already know some Excel and regularly use Power Query to query Oracle and SQL Server databases and generate pivot tables. Yet I learned many new things from auditing just week 1 of the course. I love the pace. There is a short video and then a graded quiz, then more videos and more quizzes. The quizzes sometimes covered material that was not in the videos. I suppose this is intentional to make the students learn to find things out themselves. I downloaded the exercises as Excel workbooks. The exercises are very well thought out. I thought the instructors would have Australian accent and I would have problem understanding them. I was wrong. They spoke perfect American English with no accent. Coursera would not grade the quiz at the end of the week unless I pay to upgrade, but this does not bother me because I can check my own work. I look forward to finishing the course and taking the other courses in the series.

By Chris B

May 7, 2020

I would class myself as quite a competent Excel user, but (as most probably like most!), all self taught with little or no 'formal' qualifications. So I wanted to follow a specialization route to gain these 'approved competencies). Having followed other online training before, I can honestly say that the presentation both in terms of delivery and content is as good as I've ever seen. Really well constructed, with a plan and focus to take you from week 1 to week 6. Great structure that builds upon the previous weeks knowledge and also contains detailed examples with enough data content that allows you to 'play' around and practice. It delivers on it's essentials tagline, as the topics are relevant and focused to provide a great base to 'overcome' any fears of using Excel, so that you can build upon good knowledge in the workplace.

From start to finish one of the best online courses that i've ever seen and participated in.

By Rudolph G

Dec 16, 2020

This was a very good online course! In many online courses, it seems that several steps are avoided by the designers and teachers of the course, but not here, at least, not for the most part. I was very impressed by the direct communication from the two teachers to the online students for each week's topical presentation. They made an excellent effort to communicate with students, to spend significant time and effort to explain the concepts and methods related to Excel at the essentials level. I appreciated very much both Nicky and Prashan's enthusiastic and warm, genuine interest in our needs and abilities to learn and understand the materials of the course. I truly felt supported in my progress through this six-week essentials course, and I look forward very much to signing up for the second course in the four course-sequence.

By Deep S

Jun 13, 2020

One of the best courses on Coursera. The syllabus is so perfectly designed.I thought i knew the basics of Excel but only once when you undergo formal training you know that there's lot in Excel which I never thought about. I came to know about this in the beginner's course only, then just think about the rich high-quality content in the other courses in this specialization. The teachers are fantastic. The instructor for this course is only Nicky Bull Mam but Yvonne Breyer Mam and Prashan Karunarate Sir will also teach in further courses in this specialization. All three are excellent above-par teachers and leave no scope for doubts. Do take the practice challenge and quizzes because much extra-information is given there. Excel is all about practice and exploring. Prashan Sir will make sure to get this into our heads.

By Dharmendra S

Aug 25, 2020

Really learned quite a bit about Excel and while learning I enjoyed it. For that credit goest to both the instructors who are excellent and made a bit difficult topic easy to understand. So perfect score for them. Also course is well structured and modules are good mix of text and video lessons and practical exercises. One suggestion I would really want to share that while on such platform 'Forum' works well but for one's queries he/she might have to wait endlessly. So there should be some mechanism to resolve one's query/problem. For that matter if some very good answers by participants/moderators are readily availabe say 2 years back than that response should appear against that query. It should not go unanswered. But overall a good begining into the world of spreadsheets!

By Ahadul I

Jul 13, 2020

This course is, in one word, awesome! Even if you think you know Excel, you never know ;)

The course is elegantly designed. At the start of every week, the instructors sit together and explain what the learners will be coming across in the coming week. The explanations in the lectures are nice and vivid.

All the Excel courses out there have seasoned instructors and all of them have ample knowledge to share. But what actually sets this course apart, from all the other courses, is that the exercises are comprehensive and when you complete those exercises, you are already using the tools, which you may have forgotten if you didn't go through.

Excellent primer for any one wanting to learn Excel. It is equally good for anyone who thinks he needs some polish in his basics.

By Abdul A H

Jul 25, 2020

Very impressive, the sessions are a very good introduction to Excel skills for business! The tutors are excellent at explaining terminologies effectively and it is easy to understand. The detailed explanations throughout this course has definitely enabled me to become more proficient in using excels tools and I have learnt loads more even though I have used Excel before this course. Thank you! It is also very easy to learn and follow the tutors instructions and practice along using the videos, exercise workbooks and also practice questions. Overall, I feel encouraged to learn more and I thank everyone involved for making this course. I encourage anyone looking for an introduction to Excel or to improve core Excel skills to take this course, it is very worthwhile!

By Larry G

Sep 3, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. The curriculum was direct and to the point. The material covered in my opinion was relevant to how Excel is being used in today's company's. The practice videos, and the quiz that followed each lesson was really helpful. Thanks Coursera and Macquarie University for providing the course to those of us who are looking to increase their knowledge and skill level. I'm very optimistic about securing employment that requires me to utilize Excel daily and fill confident about executing the various tasks to complete effective spreadsheets/reports, charts and graphs, etc. Dare I ask Coursera to find another resource that offers the chance to learn advance to expert level Excel Skills and knowledge. Again, thank you so much!!

By Helaine D

Nov 17, 2020

Overall, this was a great course and I built up a solid knowledge of Excel. (Prior to this course, I used Excel quite a bit, but I was self-taught on the job, so there were a lot of holes.)

I did have just a little bit of trouble as a Mac user. Most of the time, there were good instructions for Mac, but on occasion, the instructions weren't correct. (In those cases, I had to do my own research to uncover the correct method on Mac.) Also, on rare occasions, there are procedures in Excel that simply don't work on Mac at all, and that was a little frustrating. I spent a lot of time researching online to only find that those procedures simply won't work at all.

Again, happy overall. Thanks for a great course!

By Georg D

Feb 13, 2021

I like this course big time - the style of the presenters, that they speak standard English, the tests really help to ensure the candidate has understood Excel but also uses the brain to identify the right answer. The quizzes are geat as they give you hints on common errors that people make and if you repeat it, you get different questions. So it is really about learning the stuff, not memorizing the right answer.

I was using Excel 365 on a Mac in another language than English. This can be hard as the menus, functions, keywords are obviousley different. Also Excel365 on MacOS reacts at time differently than on Windows. Overall great that they referenced the differences between MacOS and Windows versions.

By Santa I

Jul 7, 2020

I am more than happy to express my hole journey during this course. Its amazing as well as comprehensible . The course has the ability to meet all the needs of novices and also freshers. Excel skills for business course has provided all desired stuffs which I looking for.The presentations are very nice and easy to understand. This is a very nice and effective way to work on learned elements in excel through practice quizzes. At the end of every module self test for getting grade is very worthy for ascertainment of our actual position after practicing throughout the week.I personally have been very benefited from this course.Needless to say , I highly recommend this course to complete successfully.

By Justin R

Aug 22, 2020

This course was very well understandable and helped me brush up on my knowledge of Excel from grade school in the 90s. I've had to use Excel at different times at work and it always took forever for me to figure out charts, filtering, sorting, hiding and unhiding, etc. Now, I feel much more confident and quick. Plus, I learned so many new tools in such a short period of time. The course was so entertaining that it was always hard to say enough for today! Nicky and Prashan did a great job and are a great team! The quizes were difficult enough to make you have to think, but not too difficult if you work through the exercises. Thank you very much! I'm looking forward to the next course already!

By Kartikeya D

May 6, 2020

FANTASTIC course! This course has given me the skills which will be useful in my career in management. The course is designed in a perfect manner : right from the basics with increasing difficulty. But, the instructor did a brilliant job by teaching in a lucid and friendly manner. The course contents and especially the workbooks were very instrumental in the learning process. Practice assignments were very good. And last but not the least, the final course assignment was a tough nut as it used every skill that is learnt throughout the course duration. I would love to re-visit this course again to brush up my newly learned basic skills in Excel. Thanks Coursera and Macquerie University!

By Ketan K

Jun 30, 2020

This course on Microsoft Excel is simply an excellent one !! I have been using Excel from the past 10 years or so, but it was just that I wasn't utilizing the full potential of this very powerful tool !! I By successfully completing this course, I feel that I have mastered all the essentials which I can utilize to move ahead in my career... All thanks to the superb and very knowledgeable Instructors Nicky Bull, Prashan Karunaratne from Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia & Coursera for such a wonderful course ! I have made hand-written notes of about 15 pages to remember the invaluable knowledge & skills which I have learnt. Now I can say that '"Practice Makes Permanent !!" :-)