Back to Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

In this first course of the specialization Excel Skills for Business, you will learn the essentials of Microsoft Excel. Within six weeks, you will be able to expertly navigate the Excel user interface, perform basic calculations with formulas and functions, professionally format spreadsheets, and create visualizations of data through charts and graphs. Whether you are self-taught and want to fill in the gaps for better efficiency and productivity, or whether you have never used Excel before, this course will set you up with a solid foundation to become a confident user and develop more advanced skills in later courses. The best way to learn Excel is to use Excel. In this course, learners will solve a broad range of business problems as they apply the Excel skills and techniques they learn along the way. This course uses downloadable Excel workbooks and full data sets with applied examples and practical challenge exercises. This provides learners with countless opportunities to practice their Excel skills while discovering new and useful productivity features of Excel for a variety of business contexts. Spreadsheet software is one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software used in workplaces across the world. Learning to confidently operate this software means adding a highly valuable asset to your employability portfolio. At a time when digital skills jobs are growing much faster than non-digital jobs, make sure to position yourself ahead of the rest by adding Excel skills to your employment portfolio....

KS
Jun 29, 2020

This is an amazing course for learners. I am having a lot of fun completing this course from the starting point. It is very much enjoyable and the way the course teachers deliver every lecture superb.

KG
Jun 8, 2020

Very good teaching of fundamentals. Everything was explained in a really structured manner. Final assessment was like cherry on the cake as it helped in revisiting what has been taught over the weeks.

126 - 150 of 9,239 Reviews for Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

By Aleksandra R

Feb 29, 2020

This course has been very helpful in teaching me the basic of Excel. It is very well structured; the instructors have excellent diction, examples and explanations; the practice quizes and assessments have been very well assembled; the additional readings provided have been interesting, fun and informative; the workbooks provided are easy to download and have been place in very sensible segments of the Course.

Thank you, Macquarie University, Instructors and Coursera, I appreciate the opportunity to study with you.

Aleksandra

By Victor w

Aug 8, 2020

I am very appreciative of the video presentations showing the various techniques which assist to build confidence in navigating an excel work sheet. I have gained knowledge and experience in the practice sessions as I made it my duty to stay the course. The course is very exciting and rewarding for your self-development. This is one course that I will highly recommend to my work colleagues at the Barbados Revenue Authority. Once again thanks to the presenters and remember, “Practice makes permanent”.

Victor Waterman

Barbados

By Claire O

Jan 8, 2021

This course was absolutely fantastic. I've been working with Excel for more than 15 years but knew I had gaps to fill - this course could not have been more perfect to help me identify and learn how to fill those gaps. The course was professional, the presenters were engaging and clear, the materials were easy to understand and well structured, and the practice tests and challenges were the perfect balance of difficult but encouraging. Well worth taking this course, I am now looking to move onto the second in the series.

By Betsy W

Aug 14, 2020

Excellent course! I have been a self-taught Excel user for many year, yet I didn't know the basics. I was completely impressed by the small baby steps to work through Excel, and the practice quizes. Nicki and Preshan make it very easy to learn, and I feel very confident to move forward with Excel in future career opportunities. I feel accomplished, energized, and ready for new challenges. I also thank McQuarie for offering this class through the MN DEED. It was an extremly useful class, and I appreciate the opportunity!

By Fiona R

Nov 16, 2018

Wow. The professors teaching this course are so right - most of us are self-taught in Excel, and there are basics we can learn to do better. My utmost respect was earned by how they broke down the overviews and exercises into manageable chunks. I wouldn't know where to start to show someone how to use Excel as there are so many places to look! Expertly done with user experience in mind. I would recommend this course to both new users and experienced users. Thank you for the effort you put into making this course.

By Lily H

Jul 16, 2020

As someone who has used Excel for many years but never received proper training or taken any courses, this was absolutely life-changing. I realized how little I knew of Excel even in its basic usage! This course is very easy to follow, engaging and the ability to practice alongside each video and with the practice assignments are key to solidifying the concepts. I found myself excited to learn and looking forward to the next module. I will be taking the next level and hope to finish all four levels in this series.

By Anubhav K

Jun 18, 2020

This course has provided me with skill set to operate through a long range of Excel features. A hands-on understanding and application of basic as well as hidden but extremely helpful excel commands has significantly enhanced my handling of this amazing software. I now feel very much comfortable maneuvering through large sets of data and making analyses based on them. Practice Videos helped a lot as the professors guided on each and every step of the way. Pursuing this course is well worth one's efforts!!!!

By Patricio R

Jun 1, 2020

I am really happy with my results. I am also really happy with the way they taught the course. I have truble learning new skills some times but the way both teachers taught it it was very clear. All thought I have a Mac and a 2017 excel and something are pretty different I managed to looked where thing were. I enjoyed it very much. I completed in 7 days that fast it was even tough it says it is made to be learned in 6 weeks. Thanks im still in high school and I learned a skill most people learn in collage.

By Laura G

Feb 15, 2021

BEST EXCEL CLASS EVER!!! Over the years I've taken a number of Excel classes and eventually gave up and resigned myself to only using the features I could figure out by trial and error. I learned so many things in this class that we "ah ha!" moments, and that I put to immediate use. I'm currently semi-retired but use Excel to track data from a small business and for my personal budget. I've updated both to reflect all that I learned. THANK YOU! Best instructors. Best layout of lesson plans. Best outcome.

By Peter L

Apr 2, 2020

A very good first course for me here on Coursera. Although I've used Excel for many years at a basic level, I knew I had holes in my knowledge, and since I'll be starting a job next month with a high focus on Excel, I also knew I'd need to plug those holes. Although the videos are a little forced and trite, the overall package and teaching is pretty good and I can't really fault it. I'm glad I chose an Australia university to do the course with so their accents and terminology are closer to New Zealand.

By Patel P P

Sep 23, 2020

I would really like to Appreciate & Thank the Instructor's Miss Nicky Bull & Dr Prashan S. M. Karunaratne who has done a great Job and took Efforts. Everything was explained very well . Final assessment was like cherry on the cake as it helped in Revising what has been taught over the weeks.

It was a good learning experience for me since this was my first-time experience doing a course online. Every point what was explained during the 6 weeks of the course it was easy to understand. Thankyou !!!!

By Prajwal S

Oct 18, 2020

The course is designed in such a way that a person who has almost zero to little experience with Excel will be able to work with charts by the end of the six week session. The practice sessions were awesome and the best part was the last overall exam which made us put to use everything that was taught in the last six weeks. The course is designed in such a way that not listening or not paying heed to the lessons will wreck havoc but it is easily recoverable with minimal effort. Overall it was awesome!

By Nwokolo P s

Jan 14, 2021

Before enrolling for this course, I had always thought that I was an expert in Microsoft Excel considering the numerous self taught lessons I have taken. Amazingly, it was a different ball game as I ran through the lessons embedded in each week of the course. I got to realize that I had a whole lot of gaps to fill up. I meticulously went through the courses and I am super excited at my confidence level in the use of Microsoft Excel at present.

Special thanks to FUT Minna, Coursera, Nicky and Prashan.

By Asim S K

Dec 2, 2020

I have been using Excel since 90's when I first entered University. By completeing this course i have learned methods, techniques, tools and much more which were simple to use but were not being used by myself as I did not have the time to try them out or did not know they even existed. The video's and the quizes working side by side helped me learn about Excel at my own pace. Thankyou very for helping me learn and made me realise that i can do it. FYI, this is my first ever course I have done ONLINE

By Cailene M U

Nov 4, 2020

Practice makes permanent is legiiiiiit. I learned a lot in this course- refreshed me on the old knowledge and taught me new things about Excel that I have not known yet. The presentation of the lesson is very clear and easy to follow. I enjoyed doing the challenges and I like that you really have to work hard on the quizzes because it's not just theories but you really need to apply what you have learned to be able to answer correctly. Thank you very much professors! See you in the next course :)

By Himani B

Sep 4, 2020

Very good course. They explain very nicely. There are various assignments also. After watching videos, you can practice the assignments. And the best part is that you cannot find their answer from google. I mean you have to watch all the videos, practice it and then you can solve their assignments which is really nice. I am very much impressed by this. Because if you will find their answers on google then it is no use of doing such a course. And in videos, they also say Practice makes Permanent.

By Aikovin C

Sep 30, 2020

Thank you, Macquarie University for an awesome presentation of this course. It was fun reviewing the basics and essentials of Excel and I got to learn some new shortcuts and tricks along the way. I love how there are practice quizzes after every lesson. It challenges my brain to recall what I just learned. I also enjoyed the practice challenges, the keyboard shortcuts, and the ninja tips. I had fun and I'm definitely down to take your intermediate and advanced courses. Here's to learning more!

By Carol P

Oct 6, 2020

Prior to this course I was self-taught on excel and was hesitant to take the class because I thought I wasn't going to learn anything new. I was wrong! The videos were short and to the point. I learned more than I thought and realized that the way I was doing some stuff one excel wasn't the easiest for the smartest way to get the job done. I finished the course early because I liked it that much and was eager to keep learning. I am going to take the rest of the courses in this specialization.

By Ayana G S

Nov 5, 2020

As someone who is already a bit familiar with basic Excel features, I still learned some pretty useful tips and tricks from this course! Some topics were a bit too easy for someone with a background in Excel, but it's good that I got to explore it a bit more through the challenges and quizzes. I learned about other features and options of Excel that I hadn't used before, and got some pretty useful shortcuts, too. These would certainly come in handy when making reports for my work.

By Carl F

Nov 11, 2018

Five years from completing my BS in Accounting, three years from completing my MACC, and three years into a Governmental Accounting position, I feel qualified to state the "Excel Skills for Business: Essentials" course is a great refresher. It renews my interest and refreshes my desire to learn more. I am excited to continue with the next course in the series Excel Skills for Business Specialization: Excel Skills for Business: Intermediate. Hopefully you will enjoy it as I have.

By Samyak J

Mar 19, 2020

The course is very well structured and kudos to the whole team for delivering it with such articulation and effectiveness, it so made the entire course easy to understand and also a fun learning experience at the same time. I love how they make you revisit the concepts that you've learnt in the previous weeks in the practice challanges which really helps in making the concepts permanent. I really enjoyed the course and I am looking forward to more courses with the institution.

By Sanah D

Sep 25, 2020

One of the BEST courses I have come across in my life!!!!!

It is sooo informative, and interesting...

I would like to THANK each and every single person associated with course to make IT this amazing!!

The concepts were explained soo beautifully with all the videos, quizzes and practice assignments that the learnings are fitted well into our memory!

Thanks to Faculty of Macquarie university for making this course available to us ..Blessed to come across this wonderful course!

By Maripaz G R

Jul 26, 2020

This is a wonderful practice for me. They were terminologies that I am familiar with but do not know their functions. On the other hand, some terms are completely foreign to me and don't know anything about its functions. Now, I am confident that whenever I open excel I won't be as fearful as I used to be. Thank you to the lecturers for presenting this course well. I am proud I finished this course ahead of schedule and with full understanding. Next Excel Course, shall we?

By Leah V

Jan 2, 2020

I really enjoyed learning through this course. I feel I have so much more knowledge of Excel now and am confident to use these skills in my new workplace. I felt challenged by the material but at the same time, empowered to complete it. The instructors were fantastic and I very much enjoyed the video and workbook format. I definitely recommend this course to anyone wishing to learn the most useful and common Excel skills to use in the workplace and in your personal life.

By pamela a

Dec 27, 2017

OMG!!! I hadn't challenged myself since I graduated from college 25+ years ago. I finished the course sooner than 6 weeks & I'm so proud of myself. I really enjoyed this course as I'm better equipped to make adjustments on my reports now. I intend to take the Intermediate levels because we use Pivot Tables and I have my struggles with that issue too. Thanks for making this available for people like me who want to learn at home and need to know Excel in the work place.