Back to Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

In this first course of the specialization Excel Skills for Business, you will learn the essentials of Microsoft Excel. Within six weeks, you will be able to expertly navigate the Excel user interface, perform basic calculations with formulas and functions, professionally format spreadsheets, and create visualizations of data through charts and graphs. Whether you are self-taught and want to fill in the gaps for better efficiency and productivity, or whether you have never used Excel before, this course will set you up with a solid foundation to become a confident user and develop more advanced skills in later courses. The best way to learn Excel is to use Excel. In this course, learners will solve a broad range of business problems as they apply the Excel skills and techniques they learn along the way. This course uses downloadable Excel workbooks and full data sets with applied examples and practical challenge exercises. This provides learners with countless opportunities to practice their Excel skills while discovering new and useful productivity features of Excel for a variety of business contexts. Spreadsheet software is one of the most ubiquitous pieces of software used in workplaces across the world. Learning to confidently operate this software means adding a highly valuable asset to your employability portfolio. At a time when digital skills jobs are growing much faster than non-digital jobs, make sure to position yourself ahead of the rest by adding Excel skills to your employment portfolio....

PD
Jun 10, 2020

Practice make permanent is the true line .this line I'm also keep in mind sir.It's very very helpful and the video presentation is really awesome.simple language and more information.thanks for these.

DT
Feb 8, 2021

Really well done! You kept me interested and motivated, and that's not easy to do!\n\nI enjoyed the balance of instructional videos and hands-on exercises, and I'm excited to try the Intermediate now.

76 - 100 of 10,000 Reviews for Excel Skills for Business: Essentials

By Brynlee T

Jun 24, 2019

Learned a few tricks I never knew before.

By Nasim U Z P

By Vinod N

Good Course

By Andrés T R

Aug 16, 2019

It's a very good course if you are looking for some introductory content to start using Excel and know how to do lots of different things which are really helpful in almost every aspect of your life. For me it was easy because I had previous knowledge about this software, nevertheless I learnt a few new things such as the "absolute cell referencing", or taking data from another sheet of the workbook. Now, thanks to this course, I have improved at Excel and I feel confident to use it at my work on a daily basis.

By Quyen B

Aug 3, 2021

I would give it a 4.5 star rating. The only issue I have with the course is when it comes to your quizzes and/or final exam, the feedback on incorrect answers is lacking. There is not much help in trying to correct your mistakes. Other than that, the course is laid out and explained in great detail. A little cheesy with how over the top the explanations are, but it provides a good laugh. I appreciate how much more proficient I am with Excel in such a short period of time. On to the next level of the course!

By Martin K

Jan 10, 2021

I enjoyed it and I highly recommended, It is just very basic knowledge of Excel, BUT you can't finish it without this course. Excel has many important little nooks and this course is like the light in the darkness of your understanding and you will see more clearly in this Excel's world. :)

By Abdullah B F B J

Apr 11, 2021

Solid course for excel but I did not like the fact that there is a quiz after each practice videos , the final assessment in week 6 was a little bit hard cuz it does not tell you which formula to use and this course did not explained all types of formulas

By Nelson R

Jun 22, 2019

Definitely would recommend to my younger self to take this course early on in my career. Vey basic and excellently structured. Both Nicky and Prashan did a great job! Thank you.

By Michael H

This class was very challenging. I learned a lot but had some issues with the wording of some test questions. I am looking forward to the next course.

By Evert O

Jun 25, 2019

Excellent course to be more productive (i.e. faster) in Excel.

By James J

Aug 23, 2020

I found the course content really valuable.

But these courses are for windows users and should only be marketed as such.

I use a MacBook Pro and although it nodded toward the fact that you may have to hunt for particular tools, sometimes those tools just did not exist and then it came up on the assessment.

They should re-do the videos with content aimed at Mac users too not just windows.

If I'd have been using a windows computer then I would have found the video tutorials really easy to follow - as it was I struggled far more than I should have had to considering I'm paying for this.

By Rosenberry, A

Dec 19, 2020

Very challenging to complete on a Mac laptop! Great course materials but would be so much better if tailored to the computer in use.

By Rahul M

Apr 29, 2018

It is very easy course to do , If you have prior knowledge of Excel you can do it in 1 day as I did.

By Sanket P

Jan 20, 2019

but the questions in the last assesement are varying with the datasheet provided

By MacGregor O

Dec 8, 2020

Good for a basic walkthrough of Microsoft Excel. Weak on data manipulation and visualization. No work on functions or look ups. Printing does not need its own course section at this point where reports are not frequently being printed

By Segio D

Feb 23, 2018

ITS NOT FREEE

By Jillian V

Sep 13, 2020

In 7 minutes the teacher covers about 5 key elements. There is no pause for you to try. I'm aware you can hit pause at any time. This course feels very centered around vocabulary rather than the topic being hands-on. To top it off the teacher talks so fast. Try a different class or Youtube.

By Yaseen A

Sep 4, 2020

very long for basics

By Jin H T

May 3, 2021

I highly recommend people to take the course and learn about Microsoft Excel. I devoted days to complete the course and I am very happy and proud of myself that I have learned more about the software. Throughout the course, I am amazed by what I discovered from Microsoft Excel and how incredible and powerful it is. This happens while I am watching the videos and also using Microsoft Excel on my computer to follow what they did and also when I practised myself and doing tests and assessments. I like the exercises which are rigorous and ensures that learners internalise and apply what they have learned and have a firm grasp of what is taught in the course. The quizzes and assessments can be challenging but making mistakes are how we learn. I think the only slightly annoying thing is that the course is more towards Microsoft Windows users rather than Apple Mac users and I was a Mac user. I was able to figure out the shortcuts anyway. I feel motivated to carry on my learning to the next level such as going on to the intermediate level. Microsoft Excel is an essential, important and critical skill as well live with digital technologies and in a data-driven world. One would feel a sense of accomplishment such as being able to create charts.

By Frances A

Sep 2, 2021

Thanks #Coursera and #MacquarieUniversity! The best Excel course EVER... The instructors go slow so you don't miss a thing, the Challenges only reinforce what you learn in the videos, and the small quizzes after each video drove home what you just learned. Repetitiveness is key here- it can be quite easy to forget even the smallest of functions, so keep practicing and practicing! Excel was about the only thing missing from my resume until now. I tried many times over the years to learn- but to no avail. Finally a course so good- I completed my first final exam with a 96.66%! HOLY CROW! This Excel course is by far the most superior I have come across. Bonus: each video is no longer than about five minutes long (no long boring lectures or Power Point Presentations, AND the Toolbox feature is a must!). The Toolbox feature has excellent tips and provides all the Terminology you need to succeed- I personally copied it all down for my own personal records. Also, Ninja Tips. Cool beans.

This course, the instructors, and the way the courses are so well organized, turned this Excel skeptic, into a believer! I'm already excited to start course #2!

By Kathleen S

Sep 20, 2020

This course was GREAT, I am so pleased in the information and the manner in which it was taught. I actually completed it and understood what I learned but was so upset with myself being the one question I missed was because when I selected my formatting for currency I inadvertently selected the one with a comma in it and it was very clearly stated what the format should be. I had the answer correct but that one dumb mistake. What I took away from that mistake however is the importance of ensuring that what you do in Excel carries over and if you are not careful your information can be altered with one slip of the finger. Do I regret my error of course I am a perfectionist, however I took away a lesson with it so it was a valuable mistake. The instructors were very knowledgably and I feel what I needed to obtain from this class was received. I thank you for the opportunity and look forward to taking additional courses on line when I am employed. I would highly refer this process of learning to my friends, family and co-workers.

By Mr H P

This is a very well organized, excellently presented, top quality course. I highly recommend it. I already know some Excel and regularly use Power Query to query Oracle and SQL Server databases and generate pivot tables. Yet I learned many new things from auditing just week 1 of the course. I love the pace. There is a short video and then a graded quiz, then more videos and more quizzes. The quizzes sometimes covered material that was not in the videos. I suppose this is intentional to make the students learn to find things out themselves. I downloaded the exercises as Excel workbooks. The exercises are very well thought out. I thought the instructors would have Australian accent and I would have problem understanding them. I was wrong. They spoke perfect American English with no accent. Coursera would not grade the quiz at the end of the week unless I pay to upgrade, but this does not bother me because I can check my own work. I look forward to finishing the course and taking the other courses in the series.

By Hugo E V

Sep 27, 2021

Great Course! The first time I had contact with Excel, it was with Windows 3.11. I studied Excel in a wide book. It was hard to learn in it, ,but I got the basics. The second time I studied Excel was with Excel 98, The books improved a lot. There were very colorful pictures and practical knowledge. The third time I studied Excel was with Excel 2006. There I could see that the interface changed a lot, and I began having trouble with it, ,but I passed the course. This is the fourth time I studied Excel, and I love the way you planned the course. That conversation format between the instructors is very cool! I really feel more comfortable using Excel now. I must share with you, that before this course I remembered that Excel could do many things, ,but I spent a lot of time trying to find the right tool. In many cases, I could not repeat the procedure that I used in previous versions, because Excel has improved a lot. I thank you very much! This was a great course!